“Spooky!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Luray Caverns Motel West
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Me and my wife planned to stay for 4 nights but after arriving within the first 5 min we knew we were in trouble. The room had a horrible musty smell, the floors were noisy, the bathroom was small and dirty, we had very low water pressure. The sheets were rough and bed was hard, the tv was an old brand one not even made anymore with awful color. We had flies in our room. We had no iron or iron board. We felt like we were staying in the "Bates Motel" needless to say we just stayed one night. It was a spooky and unpleasant feeling staying in the WEST motel of Luray Caverns.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Pi A

Reviewed 22 January 2013

The good:

1. The room was CHEAP.. costed me $ 49 for one night (sunday night in January) and had two queen beds..

2. Location: Located less than a mile from Luray Cavern caves..

The bad and the Ugly:

1. There are no sign boards anywhere to help you find the place.. we arrived at 8 pm at night, and being remote located, our cell phones were not getting any network.. so I was tuck in the middle of nowehere, not knowing where to go and couldn't call anyone.. As this place is advertised right on the luraycaverns website, I assumed that they are affiliated with them, and so I expected to see some signs of where to go, once you reach Luray Caverns..

2. The offices close after 8 pm, so there is no one to call to, even if my phone had any network..

3. Somehow managed to reach the Motel, only to see everything locked and no one around to call. When we made the reservation, we weren't told if we are in Motel east or west.

4. Decided to go to Motel West, and the security guard had just arrived to give room keys to someone else.. So we got ours too from him. He had them and was expecting us. Thank god..

5. The room was huge, for the price we paid.. the bed - not so huge.. me and my wife both are quite petite, so we did not have issue sleeping on one bed.. but anyone who is of slightly larger built we will issue sharing the bed with their own spouse.. unfortunately, was informed that this is the set up in all their rooms.. no room has a king bed...

6. View: Was told that all rooms have a great view.. I have no idea what view my room was supposed to have..

7. Check out- The biggest headache.. worse than checking in.. The checkout time was 12 noon.. we checked out at 11 am.. and then we went around in circles looking for a place to drop our keys and close our receipt.. couldn't find one.. so decided to call them lodging numbers.. we had three different number, and all of them we answered by automated machines.. after 15 -20 minutes of time wasting, I somehow managed to get through a staff, who politely informed me that the office only opens at 12 noon (seriously) and if we are checking out, we should just leave the keys in the room and close the door behind us.. the bill would be sent by email.. considering that they hadn't taken my email id, I don't know how they would do that. but the charge showed up on my CC and it was a correct amount...

So net net, a very very disappointing experience.. since I was staying for only one night, it did not matter much, but I would not recommend this place to anyone.. there are other options around at similar prices.. please don't be lazy like me and do your homework...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sameer A
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The location was great for biking in the GW National Forest to Camp Roosevelt and back, and the rooms were reminiscent of yesteryear. While some might fault the amenities as not being up to that of chain hotels in urban areas, the property had a nice pool, kitchen, sunroom/dining area, a quiet room and nice views of the mountains.

Since our Pomeranian is well behaved, they allowed us to bring our dog, wihich was great.

We really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The suite in the middle used to be the office and manager's residence. It did not cost that much...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BruceMoosedotCom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I'll make my review simple:

Pros: very close to the Caverns, clean, good price, quiet and nice views of the mountains, close to Walmart if you needed something like I did, as my son got a little sick (not from the motel, ha ha), WiFi worked ok, beds comfortable, employees were nice.

Cons: the pool at the West location was dirty, no extras (like a fridge or microwave), a little old-fashioned but that maybe ok for you, the WiFi did go out for a short time, the room smelled a little musty and the West location is not near the office, meaning you have to drive to get to the check-in desk.

I would probably go back. If you're looking for just a basic, inexpensive room to sleep, chill out, watch TV, and shower, this is for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Janice W
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I see the mixed reviews of this place and probably fall somewhere in the middle. This hotel is definitely dated and/or 'Vintage' if you like. If you're looking for posh, plush and spotless, keep driving, but if you're looking for a place with a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is extremely close to the Caverns, this might be your bag. Cindy, from the front office, is a sweetheart and is full of suggestions for eateries around the area. She also looked out for us with regards to making sure we didn't shack up next to a large group of firefighters. It was really more her recommendation, as I can't imagine they'd make a ruckus and if anything I'd feel safer if a fire broke out, but... whatever. That aside, there is free wifi...I didn't seem to have a problem with it as other people apparently have, but...maybe it had something to do with proximity. The one notable issue I did have with the place which made this feel a bit more National Lampoons Vacation was the shower head. I'm unsure if this is just how they used to be or what, but the nozzleheadesque thing that sprayed a rough stream of water, made it feel a bit more like what I'd imagine water torture to be like. I had to throw a wash cloth over the top of it to lessen the blow. I can laugh about it now, but I think i may have sustained bruises.

If and when we make it back that way, we might like to try Motel East. Same hotel group, different feel...old colonial housing verses brick and mortar apparently.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 27 May 2012

If you want a 5-star, drive to DC. This place is a step back into time. Small rooms, tile bath, antique furniture and small beds. However, it is updated beautifully, super clean and you cannot beat the views. My husband and I have traveled the world, Marriott Skymiles, Delta Skymiles, Hilton.. and so on. This was a nice change of pace. We will always stay at Luray Caverns Motel West when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Ask for Rm 114 in West Motel. Super quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank PKM99
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Rooms were old, outdated, smelled musty. 1st room I checked into air conditioner was broken, they moved us to another room....2nd room had spiderwebs with spiders in them and hairs on bathroom sink and bed sheets! Gross! And free wifi? It was out of order this night! Location great and staff friendly but that's it! Best western had a room for $10 more! Wish we had been there!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Meiljack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
#3 of 9 in Luray
The Cardinal Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray

Been to Luray Caverns Motel West? Share your experiences!