“Nothing interesting, just average”

Brookside Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 40 Restaurants in Luray
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We took the 8.75$ Buffet.
There are salads, vegetables, several kinds of meat and sides, and desserts.
The food was just OK.
The restaurant was clean, service was friendly.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have passed this little restaurant at least 3 times a year for the past 17 years and never stopped but on a recent trip because we were staying nearby decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly...some of that true Southern hospitality that you hear about. The food was appealing and generous. Bottom line....it was tasty. They had a buffet the night we were there and my grand-daughter and I tried that while my son ordered from the menu. The buffet had great selections and we were quite happy. My son had parmasean chicken and pasta that was litterally enough to feed 2. All in all, Brookside restaurant made a friend and we won't pass it by again.

1  Thank GerriS63_10
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Have dined here 5 times over the last 10 years and it is the same on each visit. A typical quaint country diner, good food, decent price and friendly service. Having said that, there are drawbacks inherent to this type of place. Mainly, limitations on service when demand is high. Everyone wants to eat at a country mountain diner so it can be very busy during tourist season. Go off peak times is your best bet because they have some neat little cabins which I have not stayed in but look nice from the outside.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The chicken fingers seemed to be thawed and cooked, as I expected. The soup seemed to have way too much Worcestershire sauce. We were told the pies were baked fresh on premises, but both were still frozen when they arrived at our table (apple and peanut butter). The plates were warm. I would not be in a hurry to return, as there are other, better restaurants in the area.

food-funva, Owner at Brookside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

I'm sorry our guest seemed disappointed in certain aspects of their dinner. To clarify, yes, we do use a frozen chicken tender product - as do virtually all restaurants - but they are a hugely popular item for those who order them. As with any food item, personal tastes differ from one to the other and I'm sorry the seasoning of the soup was not to their liking. On the subject of our pies, peanut butter pie is our house specialty and is made to be a frozen (cold) product so it isn't gooey and soft. The apple pie may have been cold due to storing, but is not frozen; and both pies are made here at Brookside. The warm dessert plates are a result of the huge volume of business during October weekends, with insufficient cooling time for the constant washing and quick reuse of plates. It is an unfortunate but sometimes unavoidable factor of serving many visitors in a short period of time.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our large group had a great experience at Brookside. We ate here for dinner and liked it so much... we went back for breakfast! I am typically not a buffet person but I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and quality of the food. Some of my favorites: stuffed peppers, fried chicken, sausage gravy/biscuits, perfectly cooked bacon and a great salad bar.
Clean restaurant with great food & service!

Been to Brookside Restaurant? Share your experiences!