“A 1950's night of lodging.”
Review of Hillside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Hillside Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Luray
East Syracuse, New York
“A 1950's night of lodging.”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

If you would like to spend a night beloning to the mid-50's, Hillside Motel would the bill. The rooms/cabins are a bit on the small side, with a porch and outside chair. The bed took up much of the bedroom area, with enough space to walk on both sides., I found the bed comfortable.

Furniture consisted of nightstand, chest of drawers and table & chair., A tv with 70 plus channels sits on the chest. Also a mico/fridge. No phone.Remember 1950's. The room was clean.

I found the inside door handle of the outside door missing., The inside door locked no problem with a regular key. The sink stopper wouldn't fit in any position, so just left it alone. Had plenty of towels. The water pressure was adequate and hot. The shampoo was in a packet, not bottle, which I couldn't tear open. Used my shampoo. Discovered no shower soap, used my shampoo to wash down. I look at the shampoo and soap as minor inconveniences. I should have looked before hand. I consider the bathroom having adequate space.

The staff was friendly . Only met one member. The motel atmosphere was laid back. There is a fenced in pool. Hillside is located east of Luray on R211, about six miles from the Skyline Drive. The cabins are about 100 feet front R211. I heard little traffic noise.

Hillside was not my first choise. Had a reservation in Luray, before reading the motel's trip advisor reviews. This motel had a serious bed big problem. Hillside has no problems with bed bugs.

Overall, Hillside is a no thrills motel. My stay was quiet, relaxed and comfortable. The cost was $54.40, paid with travelers checks.I would probably stay again for a night. Hillside has repeat guests. I met two men who stay at least once a year, for over 20 years.

Luray has few restaurants. I had supper and breakfast at Uncle Bucks Restaurant and Lounge. Good food and service, at reasonable prices. Parking is in back of the restaurant.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brooklyn Park, MD
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The best thing going for this motel is the cleanliness of the room we had. We stayed in room #1 and had a great view of the mountains and the room was very clean especially the bathroom. When we booked we were not told of no phones in the rooms nor were we told at check in. Also at check in we were not told the office will close in the evening and no one will be on site. When my wife and I returned from dinner in a nearby town to the motel the parking lot was empty, the office was closed with the lights out and the motel sign was off as well. Now it's not the motels fault we did not have cell phone reception but it would have been nice to have been told about the office closing and no one on duty. I noticed an emergency number scratched on the office window the following morning. It was very unnerving being at the motel with no cell phone service, no room phone, no one on duty and the parking lot empty. Do not stay here if you have TracFone from MD, make sure you have a more mainstream cell phone carrier.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fordman352
Lenoir, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I was searching on the internet for a motel/hotel near Luray Caverns, as my grandsons and I were going to visit there en route to PA. I found this motel with good reviews and decided to try it. It was a "step back in time" for me. The motel is all one level in a long row - picture 1950's style. Our room was large and very clean. It was modestly appointed with a small refrigerator, TV, and a microwave. The beds (two double beds) and pillows were above average and the sheets/pillowcases were very nice and looked brand new. We all slept well. The bathroom had been renovated and was very clean with decent towels. The room had everything we needed. On the premises they had a nice well maintained swimming pool which my grandsons enjoyed the morning we left. The owners of the hotel were very friendly and suggested some restaurants in downtown Luray. We went to Uncle Buck's and again a "step back in time" kind of place. The food was good and the waitresses were very friendly. A nice trip for myself and two grandsons.
The only negative I have is the door, which opened out onto a small concrete porch, could only be locked with the doorknob. No security lock feature. However, you are out in a very rural/farm area so I did not feel vulnerable at any time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank HwyTraveler02
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed 14 June 2010

The room was very clean, the service was friendly. Honestly I was expecting the worse considering the rates, but I was very surprised. There is a pool, and a great view right out of the room. This isn't probably Ideal for all travelers, but for those on a budget, it is the best!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank goodtaste82
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 September 2009

The wife and I drove down to do some hiking in Shenandoah, and I chose this place because it looked like the nicest of the old motels in town. It's a small motel, perhaps from the '50s, with about a dozen units staggered up a hill. They have a great neon sign out by the road. We paid $56 for a queen room, but it's probably more during the height of summer. In fact, this place is closed from October to April. The pool was already drained for the season. The owner closed up the office and turned off the sign around 9.

Our room was small but clean. The furniture was new-ish, with the exception of a black vinyl desk chair which I think was original. There was no phone, but you get a clock radio, TV, fridge and microwave. The bed was firm, and the linens were clean. The bathroom was huge, almost 2/3 the size of the room. It was very clean and had all new fixtures. I wish the old tile bath had still been there.

We got an end unit, and left our windows open until we went to sleep. US 211 runs through a very rural area, so there was no traffic noise at night, and the room was pitch dark. The old a/c unit was pretty noisy, however.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank roadtripperMaryland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Best Western Intown Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to Hillside Motel? Share your experiences!