“Perfect Mountain Retreat”
Review of Hillside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Hillside Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Everything was great during our stay at Hillside. I felt like I was at my moms. Highly recommend for the experience. Rates are outstanding. Would stay here again if ever in the area. The only cons are there is no phone or clock in the rooms which would be helpful but would not keep me from staying again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy C

Reviewed 26 August 2012

The service at this motel is very good. The location and price are very good. The pool is small but it is well kept and clean. The rooms are dated but are also very clean.As another reveiwer put it, it is like stepping back in time. All the employees we had contact with were very friendly. The location is great. There are lots of things to do near by. You can also find many resturants and places to shop that are located close by too. We have stayed here in the past and will stay here again when we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Hillside Motel is a small Mom and Pop operation on Rte 211 just outside of Luray Va. I checked several other motels first and found this one to be the most reasonable in the vicinity. While traveling through Luray I noticed other motels which have higher rates ($85-109) were empty, while the Hillside was more than half full. So the low rate has definitely has an influence. It is the best value in Luray IMO.

The motel is charming in a throwback sort of way. It's knotty pine paneling and overall look is definitely 1950's - but hey, we think that's appealing. One BIG plus is the cleanliness. EVERYTHING was very spotless, including the pool. The outdoors are kept up and spruced up. The room was smallish, but adequate and the bath was also spotless. There was good water pressure and plenty of hot water. There is virtually no traffic on Rte 211 at night and it was quiet.

The employee we met was helpful and friendly.

We've been stung a few times on Mom and Pop motels, but this one was a jewel. Approach it from the frame of mind of what it is: value priced and quaint and you will love it. Approach it from the frame of mind of Best Western or Hamption inn, you may not like it.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Some rooms have a few steps to go up, but if you ask they will give you a room practically level wit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RoadKing99MonktonMD
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I just got back from a few days in Shenandoah and stayed at the Hillside Motel. It was more than I could have asked for for such a reasonable rate. The room was very clean and the bathroom was spacious. The refrigerator and microwave were a total bonus. The hotel has a small pool that was also very clean and refreshing. The owners and staff were so nice and accomodating and the location is perfectly situated for taking advantage of all there is to do in the area. We can't wait to come back and stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wegirl65
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The rooms were average size, however the ceilings were very low. It had a refrigertor and microwave but no table or counter space. The carpeting is VERY DIRTY. My grandkids' feet were black after being on them for awhile. It smelled of mildew/mold. The owner/employees were very nice and extremely helpful. They haven't had any break ins or the like even though the doors were hollow core (closet) doors instread of solid doors. We did feel safe. The beds were very comfortable and I slept very well. Might be due to the air conditioner being noisy. :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2012

If you would like to spend a night beloning to the mid-50's, Hillside Motel would the bill. The rooms/cabins are a bit on the small side, with a porch and outside chair. The bed took up much of the bedroom area, with enough space to walk on both sides., I found the bed comfortable.

Furniture consisted of nightstand, chest of drawers and table & chair., A tv with 70 plus channels sits on the chest. Also a mico/fridge. No phone.Remember 1950's. The room was clean.

I found the inside door handle of the outside door missing., The inside door locked no problem with a regular key. The sink stopper wouldn't fit in any position, so just left it alone. Had plenty of towels. The water pressure was adequate and hot. The shampoo was in a packet, not bottle, which I couldn't tear open. Used my shampoo. Discovered no shower soap, used my shampoo to wash down. I look at the shampoo and soap as minor inconveniences. I should have looked before hand. I consider the bathroom having adequate space.

The staff was friendly . Only met one member. The motel atmosphere was laid back. There is a fenced in pool. Hillside is located east of Luray on R211, about six miles from the Skyline Drive. The cabins are about 100 feet front R211. I heard little traffic noise.

Hillside was not my first choise. Had a reservation in Luray, before reading the motel's trip advisor reviews. This motel had a serious bed big problem. Hillside has no problems with bed bugs.

Overall, Hillside is a no thrills motel. My stay was quiet, relaxed and comfortable. The cost was $54.40, paid with travelers checks.I would probably stay again for a night. Hillside has repeat guests. I met two men who stay at least once a year, for over 20 years.

Luray has few restaurants. I had supper and breakfast at Uncle Bucks Restaurant and Lounge. Good food and service, at reasonable prices. Parking is in back of the restaurant.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The best thing going for this motel is the cleanliness of the room we had. We stayed in room #1 and had a great view of the mountains and the room was very clean especially the bathroom. When we booked we were not told of no phones in the rooms nor were we told at check in. Also at check in we were not told the office will close in the evening and no one will be on site. When my wife and I returned from dinner in a nearby town to the motel the parking lot was empty, the office was closed with the lights out and the motel sign was off as well. Now it's not the motels fault we did not have cell phone reception but it would have been nice to have been told about the office closing and no one on duty. I noticed an emergency number scratched on the office window the following morning. It was very unnerving being at the motel with no cell phone service, no room phone, no one on duty and the parking lot empty. Do not stay here if you have TracFone from MD, make sure you have a more mainstream cell phone carrier.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fordman352
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Shenandoah Lodge
Shenandoah Lodge
#6 of 9 in Luray

Been to Hillside Motel? Share your experiences!