“On house-hunting trip.........”
Review of Hillside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Hillside Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Lovely little country motel - beautiful views, sit on the front porch and watch the sunrise over the mountains. Very reasonable rates. Friendly and very helpful staff/owner. The room was nicely decorated, country-style, and very clean and comfortable. We'll definitely stay here again if the need arises. Very convenient location for caverns, skyline drive, and other attractions. Nice pool for the kids.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Liz F
There are newer reviews for Hillside Motel

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I promised I would not come back here but I did. I refuse to pay the inflated prices for Luray so I came back to give it another opportunity.

This time, my room was ok; nothing opulent but given the location and rate, this place was golden. There was a musty smell and the place is old, but I chalked it up to staying at grandmas.

The people who own this place are very nice and very hospitable. If you want something basic, cheaper than the overpriced places in town, this is your motel.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Anthony G
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I hate to be too tough on a Mom & Pop place; they are the forefathers of the travel industry and I respect their survival in a cut throat business. That said, certain standards should apply; cleanliness, comfort, safety, affordability, and equality of rooms. Besides safety, this motel failed all of the aforementioned. The rooms were not clean; along with pet dander, cigarette smoke, and dust, each bed had a custom shower curtain under the sheets. The rate we paid was inflated because of the festival but this should be a $40 a night place, not double. Lastly, my brother stayed in an adjoining room and his was actually much nicer than mine. That is why I gave it poor, not terrible.

Luray gets away with putting out subpar properties and charging ridiculous rates to tourists because people come regardless. This motel is the poster child for this practice. My extended family lives locally so we know the tactic. I will not stay here again, nor would my wife let me.

Room Tip: Look at your room before staying. Our room looked like it was from the Bates Motel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Anthony G
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The Hillside is worn and tired and owners need to upgrade. It is a bargain at the price but even budget travelers would pay for wifi, coffee in the room and quiet plumbing. The location and people are great but the facility is in need of TLC.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jazzlover44
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I loved my stay. This was my fouth time Sam and Linda was wonderful as always. I can say it is nice to be on first names it makes you feel like you are at home. Rates are good. Pool and rooms were clean. I like it because it also is right in the middle of things. We also had a family member that is fighting cancer Sam and Linda made sure he had everything he needed. They would come and check on him and just talk. You don't get that from the high and mighty motel's only from the mom and pop ones. I love it and that is what makes me come back.

Room Tip: I have stayed in rooms 1,2,3,9
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank cheryl p
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I wanted to like this motel very much based on earlier reviews, but it just didn't deliver. The biggest complaints: paper-thin walls (we were woken up at 6am by our neighbor talking on her cell phone); no deadbolt or other secondary lock on door; distinctly uncharming decor.

On the plus side, it was mostly clean (dirty washcloth hanging on rod in shower, but otherwise ok). If I ever end up in Luray, Virginia again, I will try somewhere else just to see if we can get more for the money (we spent $92 for a king bed room).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Everything was great during our stay at Hillside. I felt like I was at my moms. Highly recommend for the experience. Rates are outstanding. Would stay here again if ever in the area. The only cons are there is no phone or clock in the rooms which would be helpful but would not keep me from staying again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Best Western Intown Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Hillside Motel? Share your experiences!