“Unfortunately, not a lot” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo

Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo
Ranked #7 of 29 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Owner description: Luray zoo does not maintain this sight this is a third party sight for accurate information on hours etc see website
Lexington, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unfortunately, not a lot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I appreciate that this is a rescue zoo, first of all. But...it is very small, and a little run down. There are more reptiles than anything. The kookaburra was the most memorable animal, and the tiger didn't seem extremely active. All in all, it was "ok", but not great.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Holly C

Luray, Virginia
“Enjoyed the Monkey Show :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Me and my fiancée took our niece there. It was fun and we enjoyed it, would be nicer with a few more animals and a more diverse petting zoo. The monkey show was exciting and you could tell when it was time, they got excited and knew they were going to be given treats. The petting zoo was nice, you can buy feed and the animals are friendly.

Visited June 2014
Rixeyville, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a wonderful zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I took my granddaughter here last summer and it was such a nice experience for her. She was 2 years old at the time. They have more snakes than I have ever see in my life! They also have a nice assortment of animals and they have an area where you can feed the goats and my granddaughter even brushed a goat and thought that was the greatest thing! The animals are well taken care of and they are all rescued which is great. I would recommend stopping in.

Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Personalized Tour!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My sons (15, 12) and I came to see the Luray Zoo after we visited Luray Caverns earlier in the day. We ate a picnic lunch at the picnic table in the parking lot and then headed in to the zoo.

As soon as we got in to the first exhibit, a man struck up a conversation with us. In short order, we realized it was the owner of the zoo himself! He gave my kids a lot of information and ended up walking throughout the entire zoo with us, telling us about the animals, answering questions and basically giving us a private tour. It was pretty awesome and the boys loved it!

That being said, he is a man of strong opinions and he won't hesitate to voice them. We liked him very much and when we didn't agree with his views on something, we just smiled and nodded so we could move on.

This was better than we expected and we really enjoyed it.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank LeeMomof3
Bay Village, Ohio
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Be realistic about what it is.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

If you are looking for a standard zoo, then this is not the place. It is however a delightful visit. Low budget, always in states of repair and run by caring people. The animals are clean and close for viewing. The kids can pet and feed a donkey, llamas and goats. The reptile section is interesting. Other animals were a tiger, alligator turtle, Kookaburra, birds of prey, different monkeys and smaller land animals. We got what we expected for a good prices. So support a good cause and enjoy the visit to this simple 3 acre "zoo."

Visited June 2014