The Mimslyn Inn
  • Free Internet
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
  • Restaurant
1,033 results
All reviewsspeakeasy restaurantfront porchhistoric hotelthird floorblue ridge suitepool and hot tublobby barspeak easysouthern charmcorner roommy husband and iskyline drivethe cottagessmall townshenandoah valleyrocking chairsking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The charming town of Luray does not have alot of choices for dining and spirits. With that said I would recommend the Speakeasy bar and restaraunt above all the other establishments. I tried several but will not mention them because they deserve business too. I was in town for about a week and took the advice of one of the locals to check out the Speakeasy bar and restaraunt if I wanted good food, service, live entertainment and the most bang for my buck. I was glad I listened to the stranger, my first visit was on a Tuesday night and the Jazz combo was excellent. They could have charged admission to listen to Royce Campbell the guitar player but I'm glad they didn't. He was accompanied by Kevin on the bass, Larry on the drums and some guy on a harmonica. We sat up at the bar that evening and the service we got from Jim the bartender was second to none. Jim treated us like he had known us all his life and made us feel right at home. We enjoyed our visit so much we returned Wednesday and dined in one of the booths and enjoyed listening to the sounds of the Eclectix. Our waitress was topnotch and the food was delicious at a very reasonable price. They had a two for $20 special, don't know where else could you go and eat at that price and have live entertainment to top it off.

I will surely return to the Speakeasy and the next time I will stay at the Mimslyn Inn for my sleeping arrangements.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2011

we had a wonderful stay in a very spacious, beautifully appointed room which had 2 very comfortable beds and a large sitting room area. bathroom also very nice with an oversized walk-in shower. there were several large school groups staying there, so hallways were noisy until around 9:30pm, then okay. only problem was our room faced the front and despite windows being closed and being on the second floor, we were awakened at 4:30am by loud conversation on the front porch of the hotel. also, the pool was not heated in late april. luray is a sweet town but mimslyn inn is probably the only place to go at night for fun!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Our experience at the Mimslyn was short but sweet. After we enjoyed dinner at the Inn at Little Washington, we drove through part of Shenandoah National Park and arrived at the Mimslyn around 8 p.m. Upon arrival, we were mesmerized by the hotel's beautiful exterior - charming, exquisite, and cascading with old colonial charm. When we walked into the lobby, the concierge greeted us with a warm smile and showed us to our room. We were pleased with a beautiful place to sleep and enjoyed the extra amenities - an oversized bathrobe to name just one of many fun surprises!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We have now enjoyed our 3rd get-away @ the Mimslyn and have been very pleased each visit. The staff is always top-notch in professionalism and friendliness. The rooms are VERY clean and well-appointed. The atmosphere is perfect in its combination of classic elegance and comfortable feel.

We love the SpeakEasy tavern @ the Mimslyn! The food, staff, and music are always fun. We've enjoyed the pool in season, and the hot tub year round. We also really enjoy the Town of Luray and its proximity to Shenandoah National Park and other great hiking areas.

I would highly recommend the Mimslyn. I know we will continue to enjoy it as one of our favorite get-away locations for years to come.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We arrived at almost 11pm for a two-day business-related stay (the driving distance was such that my husband asked me along as a second driver,) and were startled by the friendly welcome, even at a late hour. The architecture of the Mimslyn was also striking and beautiful -classic columns, a perfect driveway, hardwood floors and a beautiful spiral staircase all made it seem more like a beautiful museum than a working business. We checked in and found a delightfully cozy room, with the softest bed imaginable, all the modern conveniences (including a clever little CD-alarm clock, wireless internet and a handsome little desk,) and a shower of unusual luxury. Even the tiny soaps were top-shelf and the towels as soft as what you'd find on wedding registries. The up-to-date flat-panel TV was also very cleverly installed in a piece of practically-period furniture with drawers beneath that kept up the atmosphere until the very moment it came time to turn on the news, and once opened, we were delighted to find a nice high-def LG model instead of the shabby CRTs one sees in most hotels.
The whole experience was a little like the movies 'Somewhere in Time' and 'Gone With The Wind' crossed and mixed, puzzlingly enough, with 'Chicago' -the Speakeasy restaurant in the Mimslyn's basement is subtly and cleverly themed to a 1930s atmosphere with sumptuous modern food. Our server was astonishingly efficient and friendly, the kitchen prepared my husband's favorite dish exactly the way he likes it (not an easy task,) and the live music was a surprising bonus to an already superlative venue. There are beautiful backlit stained-glass windows there and remarkably good service, which we had, by the second night of our stay, come to notice at the Mimslyn, but to our astonishment, the prices were also quite reasonable, even remarkable given the quality of the food.
Best of all, the staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to help in any way they could, from providing local-area directions to offering good advice and information about the town of Luray. What had begun as a simple job interview became our introduction to a truly beautiful small town with wonderful people, and I simply cannot wait to bring relatives to visit us in Luray so that we can treat them to a stay at the Mimslyn Inn also. (After the excellent rest and friendly encouragement from the Mimslyn and its' staff, he got the job!) This is truly an amazing hotel experience, not to be missed, and I'd recommend it to anyone. (Also, finding out that the same family runs the Bavarian Inn near our in-laws in Shepherdstown, WV was also a thrill -we'll have to try it next!)

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have a good view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business