“Alright”
Review of The Mimslyn Inn

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a night at the Mimslyn Inn after hiking in nearby Shenandoah National Park. The exterior appearance is very impressive. The landscaping was pretty. Parking was easy to find. Our stay was dictated by a Living Social deal with a whiskey theme. Our room was on the second floor and looked over the pool, hot tub, and back yard. We did use the pool, but it was neat to see that it was equipped with lifts for handicapped guests for both the pool and the hot tub. The backyard featured two hammocks that we did use.

Our room was on the small side, as others commented. It included two wide nightstands, an easy chair and ottoman, a narrow desk, a flat screen TV on a rolling platform behind wooden entertainment center doors, and a queen size bed. The bed was fairly comfortable (in fact, apparently you can purchase a mattress from the hotel), but the pillows were pretty lumpy. I liked the comforter with a picture of the hotel on the top. We had two very large windows that let in a lot of natural light. There was a closet with one robe and a quality laundry bag. The restroom was on the small side, too, but it had a nice sink and high quality toiletries.

I ordered the turn down service that included tea light candles, faux rose petals from the entrance of our room up onto the bed, and a bottle of chilled champagne. The employee at the front desk was discrete in asking what time I wanted the service so my husband would not know. I appreciated her effort in doing this.

The fire alarm went off twice in the morning -ruined our ability to sleep in so we went to have our included breakfast. Breakfast was terrible. The server got 3 out of the 4 items I ordered incorrectly. I got potatoes instead of grits, sausages instead of bacon, and scrambled eggs instead of eggs over easy, and the toast was cold. She went to get me over easy eggs, but it took so long that we actually left before it ever arrived.

2  Thank foxegurl266
There are newer reviews for The Mimslyn Inn

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Driving up to the Mimslyn Inn, we were very excited to have the opportunity to spend two nights there. I wish I could give it 5 stars just for the aesthetics alone. The front porch is so inviting, and the grounds behind the Inn are lovely and picturesque. We stayed in a Queen room, which was comfortable, but I found myself wishing that there had been an extra shelf or drawer to place my personal items in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, but both my husband and I had two terribly restless nights sleep. I believe that the in-wall air conditioner was to blame for our discomfort. Upon closer inspection of it the morning of our departure, it was our opinion that there may have been a build-up of mold or dust in the unit, causing our discomfort (I have severe mold and dust allergies). I think we would have fared better if we had been able to open the window, but the windows are nailed shut.
The complimentary breakfast was nothing special, but the prepared breakfasts were quite tasty. Unfortunately, the waitress on staff the two mornings that we were there was less than friendly, and to be honest, we were afraid to ask her for anything.
We ate two dinners there as well - the first night in the basement area - which was fun, with live music and a very pleasant waitress. The second night we dined on the front porch - had the same waitress as the night before - and she was just as pleasant and eager to please.
The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and very friendly, and we were grateful for the tip from one young man who advised us that showing our Giant Shoppers Club card would earn us a nice discount at Luray Caverns. We would not have known otherwise, since this is not advertised at the Cavern entrance.
With all of this being said, had it not been for the lack of sleep and the unfriendly waitress, this would have been a 5-Star experience.

3  Thank YngSilverfox39
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed there for a friend's wedding and were so impressed with what we got for the price!! A big lovely porch welcomes you with tables to eat and rocking chairs to sit. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The only drawback was that the fire alarm went off several times during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank maharris
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I came across the Living Social deal for the Mimslyn and thought it would be a nice getaway for our anniversary and it did not disappoint. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The lobby was very clean and open. We had to upgrade to a Blue Ridge suite as the historic rooms were all booked the weekend we were coming. The room was very clean and had definitely been updated not too long ago. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo but the tub was an oversized garden tub with jets. The shower had great pressure. Our package included a whiskey infused dinner in the Crica 31 restaurant on site. The food was excellent but I was a little disappointed in the whiskey pairing add-on. It was $15 to add it and all I got was about a 1/4 of a shot for each of the 4 courses. The whiskey was Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Copper Fox, and Makers Mark. We went down to the Speakeasy bar downstairs after dinner for a drink. The bar was nice but I was a little disappointed in the beer selection. I would have preferred more craft beer options.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Mimslyn was a great little weekend getaway. Our guest room was comfortable, if a bit small, but that is part of the charm of historic hotels. The staff were all very nice, and offered a friendly hospitality that you won't find at larger chain hotels. Circa 31 the ambiance in the restaurant was also very nice. the food was good, the wait staff were very attentive. We also dropped in on the "speakeasy" bar which was a little less than expected, but perfectly serviceable. Over all I would definitely recommend the Mimslyn for a weekend get away to the Shenandoah!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We drove to Luray for the wedding of the son of some close friends. The ride was pleasant with spectacular views of the Shenandoah Mountains. Staying at the Mimslyn Inn was a highlight of the trip. The stately Inn sits on a hillside with a nice view. The lobby was spacious and inviting. All of the front desk personnel were friendly and eager to help. Our room was beautiful.
We had dinner in the Speakeasy which was replete with photos of prohibition era icons such as Al Capone, Dutch Shultz, Lucky Luciano and Greta Garbo. The food was excellent. We shared a bowl of tomato bisque. The pork meatloaf contained Chorizo sausage which gave it a little kick, My husband was happy with the Northern Lights IPA. Sonny, the bartender and waiter was pleasant and helpful.
Highly recommend !!!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

the best of the best. Restful, quiet and outstanding restaurant and bar/grill. wonderful views and interesting area to explore. Easy parking, service, heavily staffed and efficient. Low key and relaxing. Big front porch with enough privacy, outdoor dining, if you like. A plus.

Room Tip: try to get on the front side, best views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
#4 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Best Western Intown Luray
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!