“I didn't want to leave”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Norfolk, Virginia
“I didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

If you are thinking of popping into the Mimslyn Inn for just one night; don't. You won't want to leave so soon. I won tickets to Luray Caverns in a breast cancer research fundraising raffle. From southeast VA, it was too long a trip for one day so we booked a room at the Mimslyn Inn. I would have preferred to skip the caverns and spend the time at the Mimslyn.

It is beautiful inside and out and the era appropriate music really adds to the atmosphere. After these flatlanders spent half the day in the car and the rest of it marching up and down hills, including 1.25 miles in the cold, damp caverns, the hot tub was Nirvana and the only thing that enabled us to get out of the luxuriously comfortable bed the next morning. Our room and the entire hotel was immaculate. While the standard rooms are not large, do not be fooled by the photos. We had a king sized bed and there was plenty of space in the room. The bathroom is on the small side, but not cramped and, unless your party includes two women who need to be ready at the same time, not a problem at all. Who needs all that wasted space? An extra mirror in the room would have been handy, though.

The complimentary coffee in the lobby was perfect. Not burnt, not too strong, not too weak. The blueberry muffins were sinfully delicious. We saved them for our "breakfast dessert." We had breakfast in the beautiful "formal" restaurant Circa '31. I was wearing jeans and an old golf shirt and my companion was in shorts and a t-shirt. Perhaps they have a stricter dress code at dinner, but the staff made us feel comfortable regardless. The dining room is gorgeous filled with chandeliers, windows, and handsome chairs. I was heartbroken that we weren't able to visit The Speakeasy. The front porch was a delightful place to enjoy the breeze and we met and shared laughs with some interesting guests while enjoying the view of the mountains in the distance.

It has been my experience that a good manager makes for happy employees which makes for a better environment and better service for the customers. Because of this, I have to give kudos to the management. Without fail, every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful. Right down to the guys working outside. The doorman, the bartender who ran to get me ice for the bucket so I could keep my morning can of Diet Coke cold, the waitress in Circa '31 at breakfast who said to use as many little jars of preserves as I wanted, they had plenty, and I could keep the empties to store small objects. Great idea and I wouldn't have done it if she hadn't mentioned it.

I have stayed in five star hotels in New York City and wasn't this charmed, catered to, and delighted.

I whined and moaned like a toddler when my companion's responsibilities did not allow us to stay an extra day. I couldn't recommend this hotel more highly to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters. We had a room with a view of the pool, next to the rear entrance and i...
1 Thank thegoodkelly
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Please accept our sincere thanks for your very kind and detailed review of your recent stay at the Mimslyn Inn. We truly wish you could have stayed longer to fully enjoy all the wonderful amenities we offer. We are delighted that you enjoyed the time you were able to spend with us and we hope that your next visit will allow for a longer stay! Thank you for being our guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Glen Allen, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stopped in Luray due to being caught in a rain storm and being on the motorcycle. We saw the sign for the Mimslyn Inn and decided to give it a try. When we first pulled into the hotel I thought it would be to expensive but to my surprise it was very reasonable we were even able to upgrade to a little nicer room since it was our 30th wedding anniversary. The staff was wonderful! I would definately go back there again!!

3 Thank Lisa W
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Lisa,
Thank you so much for your heartwarming review of your recent stay at the Mimslyn Inn. Although it was an unfortunate circumstance to be caught in a rain storm, we are delighted that fate brought you to our inn for your anniversary. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we are glad that you had a great stay at a great value. We do hope you will keep us in mind for future travels.
Happy Anniversary and congratulations on 30 years!
Warm Regards,
Sarah H.
Guest Relations
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Me and my husband spent a Saturday night there after a day of hiking and horseback riding. It was the perfect place to come and relax after a long day. We ate dinner at the Speakeasy and had breakfast on the porch in the morning. It had everything we needed from the pool and hot tub to the hammocks on the back lawn. We had a great night sleep in the comfortable and clean room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know how much you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay at the Mimslyn Inn. We are delighted to hear that we had everything you needed to relax after your day of hiking and horseback riding in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. We truly appreciate your recommendation to other travelers and we hope you will stay with us again soon.
Reston, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Spent a late afternoon on a recent Friday on the front porch of the Mimslyn Inn where they have 1/2 price wine and appetizers from 4-6 pm on Fridays. Great setting. Also, they have recently gotten new furniture for their front porch. Unfortunately, our visit to take advantage of their happy hour was spoiled because the Friday happy hour 'regulars' essentially got their chairs and tables in a half circle making it difficult to get to the part of the porch we were sitting at.. This was clearly inconsiderate and hampered the waitresses getting to us to take our order. It would be nice if the 'regulars' on Friday afternoon would not impede getting to any area of this large and enjoyable front porch.

2 Thank Mike and Cindy L
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for joining us for wine and appetizers on our spacious front porch. We are glad that you enjoyed the wine and appetizer specials and lovely surroundings. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the large group that had also joined us that afternoon. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback and we are mindful of your comments.
We hope that you will join us again soon!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The staff at The Mimslyn Inn was extremely accommodating and friendly. We stayed here just one night, but the location was great, with mountain views and a quick walk into the main few blocks of town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at The Mimslyn Inn. We really appreciate your comments about our team members’ friendliness, our convenient location and great views. We look forward to your next visit to Luray and we hope your travels will permit a longer stay next time.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a lovely stay here. The grounds are very attractive. Nice pool for kids and a great formal restaurant. The staff was very friendly and its a great place to stay if hiking in the Shenandoah national park and/or visiting the Luray Caverns. Our room was very large and perfect for two kids (4 and 5 years old) as they gave us a king size bed (true to size) and a pull out sofa. My husband and I would consider it for a place to go without the kids.

Room Tip: Great room and faced the front of the building with a lovely view of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan28970
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers. It appears you have traveled extensively, so a great review from you means the world to us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and all The Mimslyn Inn has to offer. We are glad that your children were comfortable and enjoyed the pool and we hope that you and your husband will have the opportunity to join us for a romantic couple's getaway soon. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wow. This place has a lot of charm. It was definitely a throwback to the days when customer service was a priority. Just a touch of class. Who would have thought? The hotel felt like the Willard in D.C. without the hussle and bussle. I have nothing but good things to say about the place. The room was immaculate. The property was well-taken care of. I went to a wedding and refused to stay where they wanted me to stay. I'm a little high maintenance. As it turns out, I was right! This place had it all for me. Oh, check out the speak easy downstairs when you go. Live music. Wine tasting. Some other fun activities. I will be going back soon.

I am a tough cookie and do not give recommendations lightly. But they deserve it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank petradayne
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for choosing the Mimslyn Inn for your overnight accommodations while visiting our area. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests, but especially from our self-proclaimed "high-maintenance" guests. We know great reviews from travelers like you don't come lightly and we appreciate your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope to make your next stay even more pleasant than the last.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
#4 of 9 in Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!