“Ants and Musty Smell” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mimslyn Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Rydal, PA
“Ants and Musty Smell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2005

We had the unfortunate experience of staying at the Mimslyn Inn for two nights. We would have checked out after one night, but our daughter was not feeling well and we didn't want to travel until she was feeling better. Frommer's guidebook had described it as a grand old inn with wear and tear here and there. It should have said wear and tear EVERYWHERE. We are not picky travelers, often staying at inexpensive chain hotels. But, this place had ants, so we had to change rooms. Musty smell everywhere. The rugs and furniture were from the 1930's. The restaurant served greasy food, with no fresh fruits or vegetables. Staff was apathetic. Would not recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank speechmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2004

Based on a few other reviews I'd expected something a bit better. With just a 1 day visit, my only staff interaction was with the front desk, and the person who checked me in (and took my phone reservation) was pretty indifferent - certainly not friendly and welcoming. The lobby area is very pleasant and impressive. Just don't expect the rooms to be impressive. The room was clean and all the fixtures worked fine. Perfectly adequate, nothing more. Can't comment on their restaurant, as I ate elsewhere.

Quick word to the wise: I didn't notice any ramps and there are big steps into the hotel. Glad I was able bodied and not wheelchair bound.

1 Thank RFJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2004

My family and I just returned from an impromptu trip to the Mimslyn Inn. It was recommended to me by another hotel in the area that did not have room for the Memorial Day weekend when we wanted to come to Luray. We are grateful for the recommendation, because the experience of the stay at the Mimslyn was fantastic for the entire family. The staff was kind and welcoming, the food was the best in town and the value of the price of the family room package with tickets to Luray Caverns was impressive. If you're looking for family fun and relaxation, this is the place to be.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2004

I was married at the Mimslyn and spent two nights there, as did most of my family. I found the entire Inn, from the dining room to the suites, charming. Another visitor mentioned the door keys- they were in the midst of changing all the locks when we arrived. The staff was nothing but friendly, kind, courteous, accommodating and understanding. Love that southern hospitality!

• Stayed June 2003
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2003

the grand old mimslyn inn is not so grand as of the first week of may 2003. we had reservations for two nights and cancelled within 10 minutes of arrival.the rooms were musty smelling and we found out that every key unlocked every room. when we confronted the manager she told us that she knew of the problem but couldn't elaberate. well, that's when we checked out.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2003

When I made a reservation for a two-night stay, I was told there would be an evening event one night and so dinner would be served in a different location. Little did I know that this would translate into late-night parties two nights in a row...we were told, "Well, we told you there was an event when you made the reservation." In the end, we had to sleep with the bathroom fan on to block the noise. The second night, we were turned away from dinner after we arrived at 8:29; although the door to the restaurant was open and others were enjoying their meal, we were told that the kitchen closed at 8:30 and therefore we could not stay. Front desk staff when we checked out didn't seem particularly bothered by either of these experiences. I consider myself a pretty easy-to-please traveler, but the customer service at the Mimslyn was really a disappointment.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2002

We just completed a 2-week trip stopping at a different place almost every night. I had to come back and write about the Mymslyn Inn first as it was definitely the best experience we had on our journey! Although there is work to do and work underway to reneovate this grand inn it was gorgeous and the staff was wonderful. On a Thursday night we had the place about to ourselves since thier main business is weddings and conventions. The front porch is a great place to relax and enjoy evening drinks or morning cofee. Our total bill was a little over $100 and INCLUDED our 2 tickets to Luray Caverns, (a value of $32), AS WELl AS a complete, "off the menu" breakfast in the luxurious dining room. The entrance to Luray is about 2 blocks away and an entrance to Skyline Drive is about 10-15 minutes away. I highly recommend this experience!!!!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!