“A Great Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
York, PA
“A Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2006

The Innkeepers Hank and Wiley make you feel like family the moment you walk in the door. They do anything they possibly can to make you feel comfortable and feel at home. Their place is impecibly decorated with antiques. They can suggest restaurants or places to see and have brochures and maps on most of the local sights. We went to the caverns on a rainy night. The next day we hiked the White Oak Canyon trail in the Shenandoah Forest, went to Rappahannock Winery and to Dan's Steakhouse for dinner. We met two really great guys from D.C. and convinced them to go out to dinner with us. They didn't regret it! The bulls in the field next door add to the ambience of the place...just watch out for the electric fence :-) Hank and Wiley will keep you entertained for hours with their stories. This was my third time there, and I will stay there many more times in the years to come.

Stayed September 2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2006

My husband and I loved our stay at Piney Hill Bed and Breakfast. The views from the property were amazing and the grounds of the house itself were so comfortable and relaxing. It was so nice to lay in the hammock and take in the fresh air. Inside the house, everything was beautifully decorated and definitely gave us a sense of home. Wiley and Hank, the innkeepers, were extremely friendly and hospitable. We enjoyed chatting with them in between our adventures outside the house. Lastly, the breakfasts were excellent!! Absolutely no complaints about our stay. We have already recommended this place to our friends and family and would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in staying in Luray.

• Liked — the house, food, views, innkeepers
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to bring a baithing suit for the hot tub.
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2006

My new wife and I spent two nights at the Piney Hill B&B early this week, and had a truly wonderful time. We had never been to a B&B before, so we didn’t know what to expect, and don’t have a real benchmark for comparison. However, I can definitely say the following:

The Innkeepers – Wiley and Hank are very eager to do everything they can to make their guests’ stay comfortable, enjoyable, and memorable. They are very proactive about this. When I made the reservation, I mentioned to them that we were newlyweds. When we arrived at the B&B, they personally congratulated us. When we reached our room, there was a set of flower petals on the bed arranged in a heart, along with a very nice card.

Just a few other examples:

1)They called restaurants on our behalf to inquire about their vegetarian dishes and to make reservations.
2)When my wife was craving a piece of fruit, Hank readily offered her a banana. (They had no responsibility beyond breakfast.) They had a homemade batch of chocolate chip cookies that we were able to treat ourselves to whenever we wanted.
3)When Hank found out that we were going canoeing on the Shenandoah, he proactively offered us his own umbrella in case it rained. (Luckily, it did not.)

Besides being helpful, both Hank and Wiley were fantastic company and were very knowledgeable about the area.

The Inn – The Inn is very well maintained. The décor is very “cute,” and has an antique feel. The common areas and the rooms are spotlessly clean. Our room (Emma Ruffner Rodgers) had its own full bathroom and a small Emerson TV with built-in VCR. Wiley and Hank maintain a nice collection of VHS movies for their guests. It’s very helpful, since there’s not much to do in the area in the evenings.

Our breakfasts were creative and delicious. On our first day, we had a very nice quiche with some sorbet and fresh fruit. On the second day, we had peach French toast with fruit and a peach/yogurt parfait.

The location – Luray and Shenandoah are fairly quiet towns. I and my wife drove through the northern portion of Shenandoah Park, rented a canoe from the Shenandoah River Outfitters for an 8 mile ride, walked around. If you are looking to party, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing getaway sans internet access and with a good amount of natural scenery, I very highly recommend it.

• Liked — Innkeepers
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
bethesda, md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2006

What a wonderful mother/daughter retreat. I took my mother for the weekend for her birthday and we had the most relaxing and fun time imagineable. Piney Hills is a beautiful and lovingly restored farmhouse with gorgeous scenery. Hank and Wiley are warm and genuine people who really made us feel at home and were right on target with their recommendations for antique stores, wineries and restaurants. It was also my first weekend away without my children and Piney Hills exceeded my expectations. The breakfasts were amazing, and the rooms were immaculate. The next time we can get away, I certainly plan on bringing my husband.

Stayed August 2006
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2006

This is a lovely, comfortable inn. The breakfasts are great!

We loved the garden areas -- lots of private little nooks and sitting areas, each with a pretty view.

Hank and Wiley made us feel welcomed from the moment we arrived! It was incredibly nice to find an anniversary card in our room. Thank you!

We especially appreciate all the help and tips for places to dine and places to go. This made our weekend go so much more smoothly and a lot more fun -- no wasting time flipping through guide books!

Loved the chocolates and cookies! We enjoyed coming "home" to the inn each evening.

We hope we have the chance to return as we continue to explore Luray and the Shenendoah Valley.

• Liked — Lovely atmosphere!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2006

Hank and Wiley (the inkeepers) were wonderful. I am so happy that they have opened up their beautiful home for others to enjoy. From the moment we rang the door bell we were not treated as strangers but like FAMILY. I remember the saying above the kitchen that states "Enter as Strangers, Leave as Friends" So true. The Piney Hill Bed and Breakfast is a wonderful get away from the ordinary hotels. The rocking chairs on the front porch overlooking the Mountains was so mesmerizing that we didn't want to go inside. Once inside you were welcomed by wonderful anitques and distant family pictures that kept you looking for more in every corner. Oh did I mention the FOOD. The breakfasts at the Piney Hill are to kill for. I think I could gain weight just thinking about it. I will definitely return and have every intentions of telling all my friends of this wonderful get away. (P.S. I am a city girl, so I enjoyed seeing and hearing the various animals especially the Bulls.)

• Liked — Peace and Relaxation
  • Disliked — Liked it all
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2006

We booked our honeymoon reservations at Piney Hill B&B based on the positive reviews we saw online, but nothing could have prepared us for the wonderful experience we had. Within five minutes of arriving, we had decided that we loved Hank, Wiley, and Piney Hill and that we planned on returning many times. We stayed at the rosebud cottage which was very cosy and nicely decorated. Additionally, the grounds were beautifully landscaped around the entire property, making for many great reading nooks. Every morning, an AMAZING breakfast showed up at our door, piping hot and in a picnic basket. Hank and Wiley were gracious and kind and tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible by giving us advice on where to go, and then making reservations for us. Lastly, do not be deterred by the fact that the rooms don't have DVD players; there is a wonderful and very broad selection of VHS movies available at anytime from the main inn.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,156 reviews

Been to Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!