“Peaceful Haven”
The side of the cabin that faces the river
Modern hot tub, with lots of jets and bubbles, overlooking the lawn and river Canoes ready to go in the water
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The side of the cabin that faces the river
Modern hot tub, with lots of jets and bubbles, overlooking the lawn and river
Canoes ready to go in the water
Large campfire pit and picnic table by river
Beautiful shoreline to fish from or push the canoes out!
Living room w/ Gas Log Fireplace and full sleeper
Fully Equipped Kitchen
Master Bdrm. w/ 26 in. Flat Plasma Sat. TV/DVD/VCR
Bdrm. #2 Pyramid bed (Twin over full) w/ 26 in. Fl
Hallway bathroom
Water Purification system w/ Washer and Dryer
Porch swing on the deck
Experience all Bear Valley has to offer!
Stacked firewood for you to use
Canoe down the mighty Shenandoah River! This is what it looks like from above the river
Beautiful shoreline to fish from or push the canoes out!
You'll never want to leave!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Denise M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Peaceful Haven”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the cabin. It was neat, clean, and close to the river. Do plan to bring basic kitchen essentials-condiments, plastic wrap, foil, if needed--those were not present at the cabin as expected. It is an idyllic setting, and we were sad we had to leave.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Proximity to river
Liked least: Visiting geese and their droppings--but what can you do?
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
MexicoMum...
Mexico City, Mexico
“Perfect Retreat From the City”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

My husband and I were looking to escape the DC metro area and the Bear Valley River cabin was perfect! The reservation process was very organized and timely, which I really appreciated. We were especially thrilled to know that we could bring our two dogs without being charged a fortune. We're responsible pet owners and being able to bring our two boys with us was important. I really appreciate Bear Valley River not taking advantage of this like I've seen at other vacation homes.

Getting to the cabin was easy but be sure to bring all your booze, food and condiments with you because it's kind of haul back to Luray; completely doable but more than a quick run to the store. When we arrived I was thrilled to see that everything was as advertised. The cabin had everything we needed (grill, pots, pans, dish soap, towels, toilet paper, firewood) and a few bonuses we hadn't expected (board games, binoculars). The hot tub was great and on the top deck, which made star gazing even nicer.

The canoes were a bit spider-webby and needed a definite sweeping/rinsing before climbing in. If you plan on taking the canoes out, I'd recommend cleaning them out early to give the spiders time to relocate. Hauling them down to the shore isn't too rough but typically a two-person job. The water access was good but the bank probably isn't the best fishing spot. If you're happy with fishing an activity, not a sport, the bank with probably suit you just fine. The dogs absolutely loved swimming in the river. In general, we were very happy with the river access.

The large grassy area between the cabin and the river was awesome. Our dogs were able to stretch their legs and there was plenty of room to play fetch. There was also plenty of room for sunbathing and games like ladderball or cornhole. The fire pit was also great since it wasn't too far from the wood pile; plus it was huge so we were able to get a good fire going. We didn't take out the mountain bikes but they were ready and waiting if we wanted to give them a spin.

I can't think of anything I was disappointed in. The rate was great and there was plenty to do (or not do if that's your preference). We would definitely book again!

Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: River access
Liked least: Bugs - Not much they could do about them
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jesse S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Avoid, would NOT recommend; disappointed with management!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

I believe this property to be overpriced when you consider the hidden fees. My recent 2-night stay ended up costing $690.47! The cabin is old and everything within it is outdated, including the "luxury jacuzzi" that was only 94 degrees. It is not a Ritz-Carlton, so why pay those kind of prices?!

The fire pit is also located in the middle of the septic field. Our campfire was cut short when our lawn chairs began to sink into the wet ground (it was sunny and 80 degrees that day) and the entire backyard began to smell like raw sewage. We couldn't even walk through the backyard--the septic field takes up >80%; it was a smelly swamp.

Do not overlook sales tax and local lodging tax (>$50). I was also charged an additional $25 per person PER NIGHT for our additional guests for “additional wear and tear.” That’s $50 extra per person!

I agree that the contract is clear regarding additional fees; my disappointment is with the management. I received multiple emails that were rude, untrusting--disagreeing with my replies and accusing me of misusing the property after Josh and I spent 2 hours cleaning up after our stay (i.e., vacuuming, dishes, cleaning surfaces, stripping beds). We left the place cleaner than we found it, yet the fees kept on coming. The emails included snide remarks; I've had more mature conversations with teenagers.

Celebrating Josh's 30th birthday was also interrupted by a local who keeps an eye--a very close eye--on the property. She is very pleasant and had great recommendations, but her multiple visits made us feel unwelcome and was an obvious invasion of privacy.

The river is beautiful. Please visit the river! The water temperature was great, and it was only May! We floated and swam all day. But there are plenty of other rentals around—so find yourself a better deal and avoid Cardigan Cabins. It cost me nearly $700.

I have had over 30 people ask about staying at the cabin after seeing my pictures on Facebook and Instagram. We had a blast on the river! I would recommend a trip to the Shenandoah to everyone and anyone, but I told them all to stay elsewhere and to AVOID Cardigan Cabins!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location
Liked least: The management
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
13 Jun 2014
This guest paid for two guests in a small cabin, but instead had a huge party with 7 cars and an unknown number of extra guests staying the night. This is the first we've heard of septic problems but when you overload a small cabin that way it's not surprising. As the guest pointed out, our policies are clearly stated, and there's good reason for them. If the guest had explained his intentions upfront we would have been able to recommend a larger property more able to accommodate his plans.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Management Response
28 May 2014
The canoe combination lock needed lubrication, we're taking care of that.
Steve4504
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 for a stay in April 2012

The cabin was beautiful and very clean with all the stuff you could ask for. Hot tub was very large and clean, rooms were also very comfortable , very close to river!!

Travelling group: Friends
VA
Reviewed 16 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
VA
Reviewed 16 January 2014 for a stay in January 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing