“Disappointed by management”

133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Disappointed by management”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We've stayed here probably 15 times in the last 4 years. After those visits, we have our favorite site. I reserved it by number and in fact got a nice email confirmation of the site # 2 days before our arrival. When we got here for the totally sold out Labor Day weekend, management had moved us to accommodate a group who wanted to be together. Not at all happy!!! They couldn't move us back or anywhere else at that point. Gave me a 10% refund (not really impressed with that, but I was tired of being mad at that point).

On a more positive note, the staff here is GREAT. They are attentive, personable, nice, always smiling. The rangers are a hoot and we love all the staff.

Cost is at the upper end for a campground but the do offer non-stop activities for kids. I don't EVER hear "there's nothing to do".

Next time I come and reserve the site I WANT (near the playground for grandkid, where I can get satellite reception), I plan to tell them to add a note to my reservation to NOT move me or call me before making any changes to what I sign up and pay for. This is their first epic FAIL in 15+ visits and I blame new management/new owners, not the great staff. I'll come again, but with eyes wide open.

2 Thank Barb H

McGaheysville, Virginia
“Jellystone Park- Luray VA”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My family visited jellystone Park in Luray Va this summer. It was a very pleasant vacation! The park is very well maintained and the children and adults loved it!!

Visited July 2014
Fort Defiance, Virginia, United States
“Great place to camp”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great place to take kids and grandkids. Lots of things to do for all ages. Very clean and well kept and very nice place to camp.

Virginia
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Our annual trip”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have also been coming here for the past 7 years. Our 11 year old son loves it and we have seen him change into a kid that is now looking for friends. And he finds plenty of them here.
Plenty has been described on reviews about the facility. On this review, I will only list what I would like to see improved.
1. Continue paving the roads.
2. Start a policy of not allowing use of golf carts when the place shuts down (8/9 pm). I really hate the golf carts.
3. Put some fish in the pond. I have never seen anybody catch a fish.
4. Allow the jump pillows to stay open later.
5. Re-open the snack place (currently open just sat/sun).

1 Thank metalhead
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“"Funner than fun" according to our 8-year-old”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We've been coming to Jellystone Park in Luray for the last five years and they've helped us to create fond family memories. We stay in the deluxe cabins on the lawn and each year it seems to get even better. Here's a summary:

STAFF: Considering its rural location and smaller labor pool, I'm always impressed with how attentive, cheerful and professional the staff is. A young staff member on a golf cart offers to take our bag of garbage to the dumpster when she sees us walking with it down the path. The guy in charge of the water slide holds me to my goal of going down the slide 20 times each day for exercise and reminds me about it when he sees me at the fishing pond. Even the guy at the entrance booth reminds me of a greeter at Disney World.

ACCOMMODATIONS: Our cabin is called "deluxe" because of the size and extra amenities like A/C and satellite TV, but don't expect the Four Seasons, since you are still on a campground. The cabins are basic, fairly clean and well maintained. Over the years we've mastered a long packing list to make our stay most comfortable. For example, we bring a thick cotton mattress cover since the mattresses are plastic and so they aren't very breathable. We like to cook, so we bring lots of extra kitchen items (even though it's equipped with the basics). I also bring an over-the-door shoe holder for all of our toiletries since counter space in the bathroom is limited. Once you dial in your packing list, you'll find it completely comfortable.

ACTIVITIES: Between the swimming pools, water slides, jumping pillows (yes, they are awesome even for adults), miniature golf, fishing pond, playground, and organized activities like laser tag and tie-dying, your kids between the age of 4 and 16 should never be bored. I give Jellystone a lot of credit for continually adding to and improving the grounds.

LOCATION: The setting is beautiful. The park is surrounded by mountains. Sit out by your campfire and soak it in.

VALUE: Staying in the deluxe cabins is comparable to staying at a nice hotel that comes with sheets and towels, but keep in mind that your price sleeps up to six people and includes all the park amenities. We find that a Jellystone vacation ends up being very reasonable because we make our own meals and there are no surprise expenses.

We plan to keep going for many, many more years.

Visited July 2014