“Anniversary gift for my parents 50th”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Shadow Mountain Escape
Ranked #2 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Luray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston MA
“Anniversary gift for my parents 50th”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I booked a (surprise) trip to Shadow Mountain Escape for my parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. I cannot say enough about how Karen went out of her way to make sure my parents would have a memorable weekend. From the wonderful baked goods she sent to me (along with a lovely gift certificate to present to my parents), to the 50th anniversary cake she baked to welcome them. Every detail is thoughtful and special.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissambz

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in August 2011 and absolutely fell in love with the charm of the place. The owner, Karen, promptly appeared as we pulled in and quickly gave us a run down of the property and local places to visit. Then she disappeared and we were left with peace and privacy for the rest of the weekend. She had even baked some delicious pastries for us and dropped off marshmallows for a campfire. The Butterfly is such a pretty and comfortable cabin and we felt totally relaxed there. We went hiking on Skyline drive and had a couple of meals in Luray (both were good). The drive from the DC area was short and picturesque (as you got closer to the property). This is a must visit escape and I know we'll be back. Can't say enough good things!

Room Tip: We loved the Butterfly.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SunnyRiverElla
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Our group of university friends has stayed at Shadow Mountain Escape every summer since 2005. Since day one, Karen has helped us with every aspect of organizing our group getaway. She is a pleasant and discreet hostess. She's available to answer our questions while still leaving us free to feel like this little piece of paradise is all ours for a few days. The rooms are spotlessly clean, the kitchen fully equipped, the property an absolute joy for us to run around and play.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cbella217
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Let me tell you my story and why I love and adore Shadow Mountain Escape - I was looking for a beautiful, quiet, romantic location to have my wedding and after looking at numerous websites and visiting various locations, I decided Shadow Mountain Escape was the perfect location. I was completely right in so many ways. Not only was the property truly tranquil and peaceful, but the owners, Ralph and Karen, are one of the most hospitable, personable and truly wonderful individuals I have ever met. They both went the extra mile in so many ways to make sure our day turned out to be as memorable as it should.

The morning of our wedding, Ralph was outside, in the rain, planting flowers around the property for our special day and Karen had baked a delicious cake and made the best cookies I have ever tasted!!! The energy, happiness and excitement that Ralph and Karen enthused calmed my wedding jitters and helped me relax and enjoy the most important day in my life. Amazingly, right before the wedding started, the sky cleared and the sun began to shine. Karen was also gracious enough to be our personal photographer and took beautiful, professional looking pictures that are truly stunning. The next day, at our front door, we found a two keepsake mugs with the Shadow Mountain Escape logo and a photo book of our wedding that Karen must have stayed up most of the night putting together!!!

Not only is Ralph and Karen the most hospitable owners I have ever come across, but their property is truly beautiful. There are four cabins (Butterfly, Dragonfly, Bumble Bee and Lady Bug) and each is filled with unique items from the owners’ travels abroad. Everywhere you look; there is something else unique to admire – a coco clock here, a painted armoire there and a wood carving over there. The property is extremely clean, well taken care of and the beds are comfortable. We stayed at the Bumble Bee cabin since that is my fiancé’s, or I should say, husband’s nickname and the cabin is filled with items from Germany, which is where I got engaged! As you can see, there is a lot of sentimental value for us towards Shadow Mountain Escape, but Ralph and Karen were the ones who made our day relaxing, joyful, and memorable.

If you want to get away from city life and enjoy a relaxing day in the beauty of Shenandoah Valley, don’t hesitate and book a cabin at Shadow Mountain Escape. Ralph and Karen, thank you for making our special day truly memorable which we will hold near and dear to our hearts forever.

Check out the photos - http://www.shadowmountainescape.com/

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dcpetrovna
old bridge, nj
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Book an escape at Shadow Mountain, you will not be sorry! We just stayed for our anniversary and it was AMAZING. The owners Karen and Ralph are so kind and worked hard to create and maintain a beautiful spot in the mountains for themeselves and their guests. We loved the timber frame cabin and would get up in the morning, have coffee on the balcony and just soak in the natural surroundings. Every morning we were greeted by a friendly deer. The atmosphere is pure serentity. Even the animals are calm. There is a little nature trail and pond on the property to explore. We did not want to leave! Karen made us brownies, cookies, biscotti and red velvet cake! She also had a bottle of sparkling wine waiting in our cabin for our arrival. She made so many suggestions and had a lot of brochures and guides in the cabin (there is a ton to do in that area and coming back to the cabin at night is really great). She showed up at our door on the second night with marshmallows and lit a campfire for us! Ralph and Karen will be there if you need them, but give their guests plenty of privacy. This place is just unique and so special. If you are looking to relax, enjoy nature, eat great food, and have some adventures at the same time, go visit SME, it is well worth every penny !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank max1104
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 19 May 2011

What a find online! What an incredible cabin, clean and well decorated. We enjoyed looking at all the intricate details of the furniture and decor that were from different parts of the world as well as the beautiful wood ceiling made with "wooden" dowels. The smell of wood burning fireplace as we entered was so comforting . The hospitality was so welcoming and warming- a relief from a long busy day of visiting Virginia colleges and touring the local cavern. The surrounding woods was relaxing and the firepit at night was great for all, especially my teenagers. Planning on revisiting over the winter!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BarbE2121
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights in the Butterfly Loft at Shadow Mountain Escape. We were looking for a quiet, private place to stay near Shenandoah Nat'l Park and we found just what we were looking for.

Some of the highlights: super comfy bed, cozy decor/furniture, full kitchen to cook your own food, proximity to Shenandoah, beautiful and quiet grounds away from everything (yet close to many things).

The owners/hosts, Karen and Ralph, were very friendly and welcoming, yet still respected our privacy. They left us lots of goodies including fresh baked cookies, a bottle of wine, and other yummy treats. After we returned home I realized I left my cell phone charger in the cabin; Karen was kind enough to pop it right in the mail for me (how many hotels would do that for you???). Great service!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamiles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
BEST WESTERN Intown Luray

Been to Shadow Mountain Escape? Share your experiences!