“a jewel in the rough”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Shadow Mountain Escape
Ranked #2 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Luray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond VA
Reviewed 25 June 2006

what a beautiful place,and good taste karen has the owner with the decorations in the cabin.we are sure glad a neighbor of hers suggested it to us.After staying here you won't want to stay in a hotel again.We are planning another trip in the fall, just a couple of cops from Richmond VA getting away from the big city playing golf.

Stayed: June 2006

Reviewed 2 May 2006

I am a beach girl who loves the endless summer days lounging in my beach chair listening to the sounds of waves crashing onto shore while squishing the white sand between my toes. I never thought in a million years that I would fall in love with the mountains, but I am officially hooked!! The hardest decision I make now is deciding to vacation on the beach or at Shadow Mountain Escape! My first visit to Shadow Mountain Escape, we were driving up from the beach and getting our first glimpse of the mountains was breathtaking. Driving onto the property and seeing all the beauty Shadow Mountian Escape had to offer was exceptional. Walking into the loft and viewing the structure of the Timberframe totally blew our mind! We could hardly stay indoors, even if it meant sitting on the deck or enjoying the Observation Tower. The true highlight of our stay was the nature trail. Walking along the stream, we were both excited and amazed to see a bear watching us from a cove of sticks. We loved it so much that we decided to go back and spend our Christmas there and what a White Christmas it was!! Either season you visit, it will be full of lifetime memories that you will always treasure and you will not wait to have the chance to visit again! I can't believe this beach family has been missing out on this mountain adventure all this time!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Denell F
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 20 March 2006

This is a wonderfull little piece of heaven. My husband planned a getaway weekend from the kids for my birthday and made plans with Karen about celebrating my birthday. She had wonderful ideas and recommended a wonderful restaurant for dinner. She made everything so relaxing and pieceful. We stayed in the "Dragon Fly" where everything was perfect. The cabin was tastefully decorated along with a goodie basket of homemade treats. They also provided a notebook of ideas of things to do while there, including a map for a nature walk of the property which I would highly recommend to do while there as it is absolutely fascinating information about the history of the property. I also want to express my sincere appreciation in the birthday decorations in the room. I would definitely recommend this cabin to anyone looking to get away from stress and a little R&R. Karen and Ralph are the perfect hosts. The property is absolutely beautiful. We will definitely visit AGAIN. Thanks again for a wonderful time Karen and Ralph, we will be in touch again real soon!
The Gravelines
(Manassas, Virginia)

Stayed: February 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 March 2006

My husband and I stumbled across this gem in July 2004. It's a great, quiet place for a romantic getaway or for a family. We stayed in the smallest unit, the Butterfly loft. It was cozy and the real timber structure was beautiful to look at. Karen made some delicious goodies for us and left us a folder of places to visit. We stayed for 11 days and didn't want to leave.
I planned a surprise getaway for my husband's birthday in November, 2005. Karen was in on the secret and baked a birthday cake, leaving the Butterfly complete with hats and noisemakers.
It's the little things like these personal touches that makes Shadow Mountain Escape such a relaxing and cozy place to visit. You feel a part of a family.
In the evenings, there is a firepit to make a campfire and roast marshmallows or just to sit with a nice glass of wine. A barbecue is provided, as are all linens and kitchen items.
I'm planning on returning again this year and can't wait for my vacation to begin.
I advise you to check it out!

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2006

We found Shadow Mountain Escape by accident, but it has turned out to be a place that my husband and I plan on visiting yearly (maybe more)!

Shadow Mountain offers the perfect getaway. They have a natural trail to walk on the property, a pond, a spot for building outside fires and it is just minutes from the entrance of Skyline Drive and more.

Your hosts offer you extensive information on activities, restaurants and shopping close by. We have stayed in both the "Bumble Bee" cabin and "Dragon Fly". This is definately not roughing it - both offer wonderful accomadations including a fire place and beautiful furnishings. You won't want to leave!

The hosts are the nicest people you will ever meet, when you meet them it feels like you have known them forever. I have stayed in many Inns/Bed & Breakfasts and the hospitality here is exceptional! When you arrive they welcome you with a "Welcome Basket" full of homemade goodies, this is just another added touch that makes this place great.

If you want a romantic getaway or a family vacation, Shadow Mountain is the place to stay.

My husband and I have made a promise that if we move far away, we will still make a trip to Shadow Mountain!

• Stayed: January 2006
Houston Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2006

My wife and I took our three grown children, their spouses and our three grandchildren to Shadow Mountain Escape for a week last summer. We had the most wonderful time. The site is really beautiful. There is room for kids to run and around and play. Karen and her husband have decorated their cabins with exquisite taste, and they maintain them as perfectly as we could do in our own home. They are also the kinds of gracious hosts who also become friends because they make their guests feel so at home. Each day we drove the very short distance to the entrance to Shenandoah National Park where we hiked extensively. All in all, it was an ideal vacation. We give it our absolutely highest recommendation.

Daniel and Karol Musher
Houston Texas

Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed 16 March 2006

We stayed at Shadow Mountain Escape for the weekend. It was WONDERFUL!! Karen and Ralph were very friendly and incredibly helpful. The Butterfly lodge was great for two people or four. The grounds lead right into the Shannahdoah National Park. There are great wineries in the area, lots of hiking and trials at the National Park and breath-taking views!! Karen goes out of her way regarding hospitality. She leaves you a cookie welcome basket and marshmellows for the campfire. The area the people are all very warm and friendly!! We are planning a return trip at the end of the summer!!

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank GoingOverThere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Best Western Intown Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Shadow Mountain Escape? Share your experiences!