“Under no circumstances should the Dogwood cabin be rented”
Review of Rustic Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Rustic Cabins
Ranked #13 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Luray
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I should have smelled trouble when it took 3 days to get a confirmation. I was informed this cabin was an older cabin. That would have been fine if renovations had been complete. For starters the first thing we noticed was an overpowering varnish smell in the cabin. This was so strong my wife and I got headaches. We tried opening the windows and that made it worse! Turns out the cabin was freshly stained, likely the day of our arrival as we found out the hard way via a ruined jacket when we slipped and leaned against the wall. Then there was the whirlpool in the living area. Some large blue stain and a puddle of dirty water in the center. Who knows when that was cleaned last. And I don't think it ran anyway so it's just an eyesore to distract you from the torn couch. There is a gas fireplace. However the living room was so dark you couldn't see any switches and I'm pretty sure the pilot was out anyway. Half of the light bulbs were burned out so we swapped what we could just to be able to see. Then there was the hot tub. No evidence it had been serviced as it had leaves and zero noticeable chlorine/bromine. So that was a no go. Off to the kitchen. Someone was nice enough to leave some old cracked eggs in the fridge. And there was a nicer touch with some microwave popcorn and condoms(thankfully not used) in the cabinet. Off to the bedroom, or as we found out "ladybug central". Dog biscuits under the comforter and on the bed posts. How does this get missed? So bugs are crawling on us in the night and had there been any roach motels open at 11pm in luray we would have left then. As it was we packed up and left first thing. After trying to call the owner I sent an email stating we were leaving. The fumes were explained by the fresh stain and the lady bugs are just part of the deal. We did receive an email offering a comp night at a later date at a " newer cabin" but our romantic getaway was already screwed. I thought I was being generous in asking to just have our second night comped only paying for the horrible first night but I guess that was too much to ask. I only wished I had thought to look here for reviews rather than Homeaway where I found this tragedy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rumdrink

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We recently just stayed at the Autum View Chalet for a weekend getaway and the cabin was newer and secluded which was good. However one of the main reasons we rented the cabin was the hot tub on the porch. When we got in the hot tub, there were leaves in the bottom and the owner had just mentioned a day earlier that he had just cleaned the hot tub and that everything was working properly. When we started pushing the buttons for the jets only half of the jets work which was awful. This was suppose to be a 6 person hot tub and only 2 people could enjoy it. Also the lights in the hot tub did not work and the radio speakers are messed up. The cabin was updated, however the light bulbs in several of the rooms were blown out or did not work properly which made everything dark and is something that should be replaced prior to renting since you do pay a good amount for this cabin. The lights on the outside were also blown out or did not work and more lighting should be added. The cabin was somewhat clean, however we did find several ladybugs and even wasp that we had to kill. The view is good and it is located only 15 minutes from most of the local attractions. I suggest that the hot tub needs to be replaced and the lights needs to be updated and it would have been a much better vacation. I would not recommend this to anybody in the condition that it is currently in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful experience staying at the starlit view cabin in Rileyville, Va. The view from the deck of the cabin is breathtaking, overlooking the Shenandoah valley and mountains. The cabin sits above the tree line which allowed us the full view of a cloud free star filled sky from the jacuzzi. Our goal was a long hike the next morning along Overall Run/Heiskell Hollow trail and the trailhead was only 10 minutes from our cabin. The location very private and close to many of our favorite hiking spots along 340 & Skyline Drive. The cabin was very new and well maintained. Bring groceries so you can cook in the new, fully equipped kitchen...you will not want to eat out with a view like this. *Also, the owner David Foster was very responsive. I had several simple questions before I arrived and I was able to reach him immediately every time--not something I have always had luck with other rentals by owner.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura B
logcabinlovers, Owner at Rustic Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank You for your review. We agree Starlit view is a great cabin with that great view. We recently just paved the driveway so now it is even better.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I were planning our vacation a few years back and he said, "Take me to the top of the world." I had visited Skyline Drive with my family as a child and just knew I had to take him. I researched endlessly for the perfect cabin location and found Starlit View. We have returned many, many times. We just love it! Located in the Shenandoah mountains, this cabin has everything we could want. The view is spectacular with a large deck and a wall of windows!! The cabin is roomy and clean. The first floor boasts an open floor plan with a great room complete with gas fireplace for romantic evenings and satellite television (although we rarely turn it on), a fully equipped kitchen and dining area. There is a first floor bathroom with plenty of fresh, clean towels and a bedroom with jacuzzi tub. Another very roomy bedroom and bathroom are in the loft. There is a hot tub out on the deck that is wonderful to use during the day or at night under the stars. There is a gas grill for cooking, table and chairs, gliders and recliners, everything you need to enjoy the outdoors. The deck is partially covered for shade and rain cover. Starlit View is a wonderful place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The cabin is very near SkyLine Drive, Luray Caverns, the Shenandoah River (canoeing, tubing, fishing). Front Royal, Luray, antiquing, Civil War sites, etc. Pet Friendly, too! David, the owner, has always been very kind and responsive to our needs. We highly recommend Starlit View!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rileyville

Thank you for your review, yes we agree the cabin and the view cant be beat and we do our best to keep the cabin clean and bright

Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I (along with our 3 month old baby girl) booked a weekend getaway just after Christmas expecting a wonderful "first family vacation"... well this experience was ANYTHING BUT WONDERFUL! On our way to the cabin, we were very excited to see the mountain snow and were excited about getting cozy in our cabin... well we were greeted by a musty, gas smelling, no firewood for the fireplace, no heat from the baseboards retreat. If we hadn't just spent 5 hours in the car (the longest we had gone with baby to date) we would have not even taken the energy to bring our bags inside! Needless to say we did not stay the 2 nights that we paid in advance for, we were gone by 8:00 the next morning. Staying less than 15 hours was more than enough for our family. The majority of our morning before leaving consisted of cleaning a cabin that needed more of an army to do so, but I was so scared of being charged more money for a bad vacation that we did the best we could. Once in the car and on our way home I proceeded to email the cabin owner David Foster, he informed me that he would look into the issues and get back with me... which he avoided me from that point on. I hope that he sleeps well at night knowing that not only did his disgusting cabin ruin our family getaway... but the large price tag prevented us from another (redeeming) weekend away for us for a while. I will NEVER recommend these cabins to anyone... even if I didn't like you! Please don't waste your time or hard earned money with these people..... it's not fun, safe or worth it!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Ashley M

we are sorry for those few problems but all of our 5 star cabins were booked when you called about those dates You were told that this cabin was not a new cabin and its shape was just ok, you booked it anyway and upon your arrival it was not to your standards, so we did a refund to you. Since those dates back at Christmas we have recently sold this cabin All of our cabins now are 4-5 star cabins

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed at the Dogwood Mt Cabin. I didn't see many reviews for it on here (well one..which pretty much fits my review) so I thought I would offer some details to anyone considering renting the property. First and foremost, take a little from all the reviews here because they all have some significance to your total rental experience. If you are looking for luxury cabins with wine, fuzzy bathrobes and towels, and a roaring fire as you enter...exit now..well at least this cabin. However, if you are looking for a step above a camping experience and far better than renting a camper on any day in my opinion then this just might be for you! We originally wanted one of the newer cabins but the owner offered up this one as the only one available. After looking at the pictures it looked warm and inviting and it had a hot tub and a newer kitchen, scenic deck, not the best I've experienced in the Shenandoah but for last minute I figured it would work. Keep in mind that this was just my husband, me and my daughter who thankfully is s Girl Scout, otherwise this could have been a disaster! I must admit that looking back on the rental experience it was I who had to initiate further contact with the owner after the first e-mail....totally understandable now with hindsight why he didn't seem in too big of a hurry to rent it!!
Ok, the drive to the cabin as always in this area was breathtaking. We originally passed by the cabin because it remotely resembled the picture on the website! As we drove up first thing we noticed was the cabin had a lower portion with a door and a patio covered with various construction debris. The cabin sits on a slope with scarce any view of the mountain. The front deck faces the gravel road but fortunately there are only 2 other houses beyond the rental. When we parked we immediately noticed the house directly above us and their various goats who seem to be kept a secure distance from the cabin via either a wire fence or electrical fence wasn't sure but we stayed away from it either way. We were excited to build a fire and noticed that up the hill about 2-3 yards there was a makeshift fire pit encroached by steep grass and 2 bent and non useable cafe style chairs....hmmm..really?? We also noticed what used to be a tire swing on the tree that now looked like some strange contraption and even that got a little to close to that wirey fence thing. Before entering we noticed that there were plenty of weeds around the back slab door and trees/weeds growing out of the gutters...nice. The back porch light was broke so thank God we arrived by daylight. The cabin has knotty pine walls, antiques and beds throughout and while this definitely enhances the rustic feel there were also some creepy factors to point out as well.
First, I don't know any parent in this world who would not feel a security factor with as many unlocked windows, entry points there were in this cabin. Call me overprotective, but that was one of the first things we did was make sure all these were locked including the door downstairs. There was a creepy stairwell that led to a creepy, musty downstairs basement area...closed that door immediately...and it didn't have a lock so I made my husband venture around the weeds out front to make sure it was locked. There is an antique saw mounted on one of the walls in the living room, I think I could have handled a deer head better than that...just thought it was a strange thing to put up as decor..how about a nice barn star??
Ok so the kitchen is new and clean, we felt there was enough there for our needs, although the fridge sits crooked it worked so who cares right? There was a patio door that led to the deck which had a wrought iron table and chairs, the hot tub and 2 grills..both of which have seen better days. The deck could use some serious staining, it obviously has seen better days as the pictures advertised on the website make it look new...not the case. Regarding the grills, we didn't attempt to use them so I can't comment on if they worked or not. The hot tub was running and was clean and enjoyable, no issues there. Inside the living room, the couches were older and torn in some places but there was a nice older rocking chair. The gas fireplace, (no instructions but we are handy and figured it out) we used it for all of 5 minutes as the gas smell it emitted was questionable. So no fire or potbelly stove ambience as we had experienced with other cabin rentals, the nights were chilly so this would have been an added benefit, not necessary but just nice considering this was an advertised "rustic" mountain get away. We had a hell of a time figuring out the archaic heating system. Once we did the cabin warmed up nicely. The bedrooms had knotty pine queen beds--nice touch, and they were comfy. They were clean and the sheets were clean. Each bedroom had one lamp and an antique dresser. Nice touches but some of the lamps were plugged in to the wall with no light bulbs...and the curtains...ugghhh! The curtains were dirty and hung up with those cheap rods you buy in Wal Mart for your first apartment..you know those kind?? So that when you opened or closed the curtains the whole thing fell down if not secured again. The extra jacuzzi off the living room looked about 40 years old and had a big blue bleach stain or soap ring in it, not sure if it matters but I think the only other review I read said the same thing..odd. We didn't even bother with it, just looked to much trouble, what a shame.
The bathroom while newly renovated had no wash clothes and musty smelling towels. The toilet didn't seem properly bolted into the wall as it moved whenever you got up from your business. We opted not to take a shower for the 2 days we were there....my husband has been around the world and we are campers..when he opted for no shower..it made a statement to me as well. As for bugs, we did not see any in the cabin with the exception of one lady bug and a stink bug...although this time of year in Virginia that is common anywhere you go.
In a nutshell, I gave it a 3 because we enjoyed our weekend and just decided to make the best of a not so great situation. The cabin was not that bad, what made it bad was the price we paid to rent it and the somewhat false advertising of the product we were sold. This is definitely not worth $195 a night! I probably wouldn't be writing this review had I paid less for the cabin or paid what I feel it was worth to rent. I just know having visited the area several times and renting in the same price range we have had a FAR better experience. I don't think this cabin is all that ideal for families or a romantic getaway. It is more in line for hunters, fisherman, kayak adventurers or people looking to avoid sleeping in a tent (although having done this and experienced more scenery and seclusion..you might be better off and save some $$ at the same time!) I think the owner needs to lower the rental price of this cabin, market it differently or pull it off the rental scene all together..it just leaves too much to be desired and obviously is unparalleled to the other cabins he offers..to some degree it seems. We did not call him or complain or ask for a refund, we just decided to enjoy it and make peace with Mother Nature....would I rent from him again.. unless he adjusts the price to meet the product sold.......probably not.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank smittyandco

Sorry for those problems, Oct is our busiest month and when your husband booked this cabin it was our last cabin open All of our 4-5 star cabins were already booked We have recently finished a remodel on this cabin so now it has complete new bathroom with granite vanity new kitchen new appliances, new bedrooms with new beds We feel now it is a solid 4 to 4.5 star cabin

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Wonderful place for the whole family or a romantic getaway. We thoroughly enjoyed walking through the trails with our two dogs. The pictures do not say enough about this cabin nor it's surroundings. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny day on the deck when we weren't taking a walk through the scenic trails. The night sky was amazing on the deck. Watching the magnificint beaty of the moon peaking over the mountain or gazing at the twinkling stars was something we looked forward to. The biggest decision was whether to sit in the wooden rocker/glider chairs, or watch while relaxing in the hot tub. This cabin is beautiful both inside and out, and very inviting to your family pets. The cabin was equipped with everything you need and as long as you bring enough food and beverage....there is no need to leave the mountain. The roomy kitchen is very well equipped with beautiful appliances... fixing meals doesn't even seem like work. The whole family is looking forward to our next getaway at Crimson Star that has already been booked.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 9 in Luray
Luray Caverns Motel East

Been to Rustic Cabins? Share your experiences!