“Perfect Getaway for Couples & Pets”
Remote mountain cabin
Warm fireplace, open living areas, modern HD TV Flowing space between living and kitchen areas
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Warm fireplace, open living areas, modern HD TV
Flowing space between living and kitchen areas
Fully furnished kitchen
Fully furnished kitchen
Newly installed (May 2015) hot tub large enough for 5 or 6 adults
Clean warm water, waiting for you to jump in!
Charcoal park-style grill
Unlimited dried/stacked firewood just a few yards from the cabin at $10/night
Large campfire pit with beautiful mountain views behind
Queen bed in master BR
Bunkbed in 2nd bedroom
Fully furnished, clean bathroom
DVD movie library
Board games
Washer/dryer
Reading areas
Acres of private land around cabin with scenic driveways
Quiet outdoor sitting areas
Extra outdoor chairs provided
This overlook, as well as 2 others, are on the drive up. I took this from my car
This is another pic from my car on the drive to the cabin. 3,000 ft. elevation
Winter view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 33 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Abbey B
“Perfect Getaway for Couples & Pets”
Reviewed 20 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

My husband and I decided to stay at High Ridge for a couple of days in order to get a break from the city and go hiking at Shenandoah National Park! Overall, we had a great time and really enjoyed our stay. The cabin is very nice and cozy! I was surprised with all of the things provided like all of the board games, books, and the giant movie collection for rainy days. The hot tub was perfect for relaxing after a long day of hiking and there was plenty of firewood provided for a nice cozy fire. My husband grilled steaks one night and they were wonderful! We really enjoyed letting our dog be a dog, for once. He had a blast getting to run around and explore the area and be free. We had a great time and hope to come back and visit again, soon! Thanks for the awesome experience!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Secluded, cozy, nice views on drive up and down mountain, lots of room for our dog to run around while we grill, sit by fire, etc.
Liked least: We couldn't stay longer!
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
Matthew L
“All the things you need and nothing you don't”
Reviewed 10 January 2016 for a stay in October 2015

I will keep this short and sweet. High Ridge Cabin is exactly what is looks like, a secluded cabin for relaxing without neighbors or internet but lots of nice scenery and starry nights. The cabin is cozy and equipped with everything you need. The gas fireplace is a real plus, as is the movie collection. The hot tub and fire pit are great and really there was nothing to complain about. It is remote and more rustic than fancy, but that is the attraction and I hope they don't change much in the future.

As remote as it feels, town is only about 15 minutes away and the usually attractions not much further.

My friends and I plan on going back next year and I definitely recommend it to others.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet
Liked least: There was very little firewood
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
Terrance...
Baltimore, Maryland
“Peaceful and quiet”
Reviewed 11 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

Great place to let the work life melt away for a few days. EXCELLENT experience. Really appreciated the attention to detail.

Travelling group: Friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Private, comfortable”
Reviewed 3 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015

Positives: We really liked the isolation and the rugged road drive to the cabin -- a nice setting--and the cabin itself is comfy. Appropriate for a couple or a family. We enjoyed the gas fireplace and cuddling on the sofa while watching tv. The night sky is dark, the stars bright, and we were treated to a full moon. Lots of bird activity. A well-furnished kitchen (knives, dishes, etc.).

Negatives: I'd bring my own cooking pots / cast iron pan (did not like the old teflon pans provided). Signs of mice (drawers). Something that we found fairly unpleasant was the air freshener smell that permeates the cabin and the lack of screens so the cabin can be properly aired out. The mix of musty cabin and sweet chemical scent irritated my throat and eyes. There really needs to be some access to fresh air in the bedroom, especially. The mattress needs replacing, too, as it's a bit sway backed.
Be aware that contrary to the "What to Bring" message that lists your computers to bring, there is NO internet and there is NO cell phone service.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Privacy in the country
Liked least: The smell and the mattress. The lack of fresh air in the cabin.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
4 Dec 2015
Thanks for leaving us feedback. I just discussed the air freshener with the housekeeper. We will remove it.

The mattresses are an item we are working to upgrade. I don't know if you noticed, but there is a brand new mattress on the bottom of the bunkbed. It's no more than a month old. The two queens will be upgraded in the near future.

As far as the internet goes, all of our listings say "no internet" before booking. Even the first email you received after booking - the one that says "you've successfully booked" - states that the cabin does not have internet in clear bold words. Please go back and read it and you'll see what I mean. Only the "directions" email that is sent a few days before arrival mentioned internet (which we have corrected). Point being - it should have been clear long before that time that there was no internet at this location. I'm sorry for the confusion on this. Internet is simply not possible in that remote of any area.
202RickyP...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“High Ridge Cabin -- Lodging for Hiking in Shenandoah National Park”
Reviewed 3 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015

After weeks of searching for a cabin near Shenandoah National Park for a weekend of hiking in the park, exploring other noteworthy places near the park and spending some quality time with my lady tucked away in the woods away from society, we decided on High Ridge Cabin.

Pros:

-Location: High Ridge is tucked away deep in the woods, high up in the blue ridge mountains. It is isolated and you cannot hear or see any of your neighbors, but there are many cabins nearby, as you pass many of them on the deep, winding, unpaved roads up to the cabin. If you’re hoping for a ‘real’ isolated cabin than this cabin delivers that and then some. Note: The cabin is within walking distance to the park..and at times, it feels like you’re actually staying IN the park..BUT..you’re actually nowhere near the official entrance to the park. The cabin is at least 40 minutes from either the Thorton Gap or Swiftrun Gap Entrances. We knew this when we Google-mapped the place, but I wanted to make sure that folks who stay here, fully understand this.

- REAL Cabin: The cabin is the perfect mixture of woody-rustic vibes and décor with bits of modernity mixed in. It’s EXACTLY how it looks in the pictures.
- Gas Fireplace (Kept the place nice and toasty and warmly lit up at night)
- Working Hot Tub
- Flat TVs with DVD players and satellite cable in both the living room AND one of the bedrooms.
- Alphabetized DVD collection of over 300 movies (just as advertised)
- Over 10 classic board/card games (just as advertised) – I got my tail whipped in Candyland several times, but got my revenge in SORRY and GuessWho. 
- BBQ charcoal grill (just as advertised) – Grilled food first night to last us for the next couple days. Soo happy to have the grill.
- The Cardigan Cabin’s staff were friendly, quick at communicating and responding any issues that we had.

Cons:

-Silly Mistake by the Housekeep Staff: Whomever mopped the cabin (with a dirty mop that stunk VERY bad..) put the mop, and some other cleaning supplies next to a storage cabinet in the master bedroom, RIGHT NEXT to the bed. This resulted in the master bedroom smelling like mildew. Things such as wet mops and other hardcore cleaning supplies should never be stored in sight, in the master bedroom. Even though we moved the mops and put candles in the room and let them burn for hours, we could not get the smell of mildew and dirty water out of the room. The smell won in the end..and we ended up sleeping the other room. I’m assuming that the housekeeping staff had an off day and that this is not the norm. While examining the room for the smell, we also discovered a hole about the size of a golf ball in one of the baseboards..which was also very creepy and out of the ordinary looking. This hole could be the reason(s) for my next con…

Crappy mattresses in bedrooms -- I kinda expected this out of a cabin but I had hoped for a bit more considering that the cabin usally goes for $199/night.

-Pests – BY FAR, the worst thing about my stay at High Ridge. First there were hornets and then there was a mouse. On night one, large hornets, somehow kept getting into the cabin, over and over for a 6 hour period. Each time I killed one, 30 minutes later, another would somehow appear. I killed about 10 large hornets over the course of a 6 hour period. We locked ourselves into our room on night one (not out of fear as the hornets were harmless but we didn't want to have any interruptions). The next morning when we arose, we didn’t see any more hornets but, we still decided to call the Cardigan Cabin’s staff and alert them about the problem. While waiting for them to call us back, I decided to walk around the outside of the cabin and look for hives or nests of any sorts, and there they were! There were what looked like empty, small bee hives every few feet or so up under the edge of the roof. I counted about 7 small hives in total, in addition to another a small hives that we discovered outside of one of the bedroom windows. During this time, someone from Cardigan cabins called us and told us they were on the way. They showed up about one hour later. They showed up with a fresh can of hornet/bug spray for us to use in case we saw more and they did some things outside, which I did not see. Maybe I killed them all, or maybe the cabin management staff did something outside but we did not see any more hornets during our stay. All was good in the world..or soo we thought. On our second night...when we came back into the cabin from enjoying ourselves in the Jacuzzi outside…I saw a mouse attempt to run out from the master bedroom. My lady hates mice so she was distraught and I was also pissed off, I have to admit. I sealed off the master bedroom, by closing the door and plugging the gap at the bottom of the door with some of the extra towels from the bathroom. We did not even bother to call the folks at Cardigan about this, because we had no use or plans to use the master bedroom during the rest of our stay. Now, if one chooses to stay in a cabin..deep in the woods, he or she should not be totally surprised if they see pests. Bugs of all sorts find ways to get inside of places, and we totally understand that. The pests themselves, were not source of our frustration. What annoyed and disgusted me soo much about the pests problems, is that from the various wasp hives/nests outside the cabin, the hole in the baseboard in the master bedroom and a few other holes at the base of the cabin on the outside, we feel that we discovered the ways that these pests got into the cabin. A quick walk around the cabin and it takes no more than 5 minutes to discover various ways that these pests could have got inside. I have to chalk up all these things to negligence on behave of Cardigan Cabins or the actual owners of the cabin.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at High Ridge. The attention to detail thought-out the cabin was much appreciated and you can tell that some thought went into creating a rustic, warm experience while staying at the cabin. I would rate High Ridge 4 out of 5 and my lady has said that she would rate it 3 out of 5. I loved the cabin and I would stay here again but I do not think that my lady feels the same way. The small but killer housekeeping mistake with the mop and the various pest problems are simply unacceptable for a price of $175/night.

Liked best: Rustic Feel, Location, Attention to Detail
Liked least: Pests, Price, Trash removal policy
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
3 Dec 2015
Thanks for leaving us feedback. I just discussed the mop issue with the housekeeper. That was just an oversight that won't happen again. Mops and items like that are typically left in the utility closet which has a closed door.

The pests you mentioned are something that occasionally happens *outside* the cabin due to the mountainous environment but not inside. From time to time, we do find a mice that managed to get inside which is why we have traps under furniture and behind cabinets. We also spray and treat for hornets, stinkbugs and lots of other things around the outside of the cabin. Unfortunately, due to its nature, it's an ongoing problem because of where the cabin is located. We do try our best and most of the time it's not a problem.

Please accept my apologizes for the mop. If you contact me offline, I'd be happy to extend a discount off your next stay at any of our cabins. I want you to remember your time with more happiness next time. We'll make that happen.
Tammy B
Los Angeles, California
“Another Cardigan place that was great! Pretty fall colors”
Reviewed 13 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

This was another property we were at in addition to the Westcott lodge. This High Ridge is very secluded and pretty. It's a long drive between here and the Westcott lodge so don't even think about going back and forth a lot. but super fun and pretty

Travelling group: Large Group
Matthew B
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Shenandoah Mountains Cabin”
Reviewed 10 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

Mountain getaway for me and friends. We wanted secluded mountain cabin. Rustic but not prehistoric and close to hiking trails and natural beauty of the Virginia mountains. That's just what we got. The cabin was very secluded but accessible. The host (Paul) was very easy to communicate with and accommodating (at first was going to bring pets b/c that's allowed for a fee, he discounted my fee b/c the dogs are miniatures, etc). All very easy to handle. The cabin was in very good shape, clean and with all the necessities including cable. No WIFI (which was fine). Board games and a huge DVD collection in case it rained. The hot tub was the best attraction. It was wonderful to be in the hot tube with it a nippy 50 degrees outside. Delightful. Only negative was the master bed was quite flat and uncomfortable making sleep difficult. I think a new mattress or at least an extra padded mattress cover could solve that. We spent the whole of one day hiking in the shenandoah to the upper falls of WhiteOak Canyon - you must do it! We would likely stay there again. Matt

Liked best: hot tub
Liked least: master bedroom mattress
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
11 Nov 2015
Thanks, Matthew, for your kind words and telling others about your time! We'll check out that mattress - it may be time for a new one. In your opinion, are there any other things can we do in the future to make High Ridge get a 5 star from you? We love feedback from guests. Call or email at any time!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing