“Wildlife Tour”
Review of Sitka Sound Tours

Sitka Sound Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: After a brief hiatus we are back and booking wildlife tours for 2017! Sitka Sound Tours will guide you through a bevy of majestic mountains, ancient volcanoes, towering caves, and miles of ocean teaming with phenomenal wildlife, providing you with unforgettable memories of your once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. Sitka Sound Tours customizes your tour based on what you want to do and see while in Sitka.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
San Antonio, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wildlife Tour”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Captain Jim Seeland and Captain Bill Davis arranged an incredible custom tour with their two boats and our group of ten people. We saw dozens of bald eagles, otters, otter rafts, harbor seals and whales. Both captains gave each group a history of their beloved Sitka. We had a very enjoyable morning with them and would definitely recommend them.

Montvale, New Jersey, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Sitka whale watching ”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We were recently in Sitka as part of our cruise and we're looking for a more personal whale watching experience and Jim more than delivered. I am not sure where to start so I will bullet the list and try not to ramble
- Jim: it all starts with Jim the owner, operator, bookkeeper,.... You get my point. Jim is super knowledgeable on marine life and Sitka overall. Jim was super focused on what we wanted to see - whales - and although he won't make promises to see them he delivered through his knowledge of where they were the day before and a friends network to make sure we found them.

-the boat: if you want a massive catamaran with benches of people this is not for you. His boat is a small 7-10 person boat loaded with binoculars and places for everyone to look out and see the beauty of Sitka.

-the whales: for us it was all about whales. We found a Grey after about 20 minutes (and along the way saw otters, bald Eagles and learned about Sitka). After watching him for a while we went in search of a humpback. Jim through his keen eyes and friends located one for us in 10 mins and we spent the next 2 hours following a playful whale surface and dive around the islands. At one point he even put on a little show and did a back flip (well rotated in air to his back) for us. Jim was awesome at making educated guesses on where he would surface. Again these are guesses since it's not possible to know where a whale will turn underwater. You can imagine my surprise when the whale surfaced 25 feet behind us while I was staring port side about 50 feet out.

Overall I'd highly recommend Jim to anyone looking for a truly personal experience from a local owner / operator.

2 Thank Mark P
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Super experience!!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I can't say enough good things about this tour. I know a wildlife tour is part luck and part the experience of an excellent Capt. We had both on our tour on 3 July 2014. Captain Jim is a great guide, knows the area, loves what he does and explained to us what we were seeing. There were 5 of us on the trip and we had lots of room to move around and take plenty of pictures. The boat has a small cabin to take shelter in if it's cold or rainy and also has a small restroom. The wildlife was abundant. We say humpback whales, gray whales, otters, harbor seals and bald eagles. I would highly recommend this tour and this very enthusiastic captain.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Marty S
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Excursion!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We booked this excursion based on TripAdvisor reviews as we were stopping there during our June 2014 cruise. Booking was very easy and Captain Jim met us when we arrived at the dock. My wife and I were lucky enough to be the only passengers, and Jim treated us like family. He went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and that we saw the wildlife we had hoped to see. He even provided snacks and waters! Captain Jim runs a clean and professional operation, and provided us a fantastic sightseeing excursion. We actually stayed out about 30 minutes longer than the tour time as Jim wanted to make sure we were completely satisfied. (This means a lot, especially with cost of fuel!) I wouldn't hesitate to book with him again and highly recommend his tour service!

Cupertino, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good skipper, good boat, beautiful area for wildlife”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We did a trip to St. Lazaria on Jim's boat to see birds. Jim is knowledgeable about the local wildlife and a fun guy too!

His boat is comfortable and easy to get around on (there were 5 of us including Jim).

I highly recommend SST tours to see otters, whales, etc. and of course, birds.

Visited June 2014

Been to Sitka Sound Tours? Share your experiences!