Review Highlights
NO ONE BETTER!!

This is our 3rd photography tour with Capt. Neil McDermott along with Tyler Eddy, resident... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
whoa3050
midwest
Alaska Whale Watching Boat Excursion

This excursion was excellent! We saw whales, sea otters, sea lions, seals, eagles, even a bear... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2023
Jennifer H

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews captain neil harbor seals whale song whale watching see whales wildlife photography visit sitka cruise ship personal experience three hours marine life small group animals otters tours murres overcast
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 December 2018 via mobile

Neil took me and a few friends out this morning and we saw so many whales getting ready to migrate down south! I was very impressed with how careful around the whales Neil was, he didn’t want to bother them. We watched for hours! We had an excellent time and this is a must do in Sitka with Captain Neil!

Date of experience: December 2018
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2018

Thank you for the kind words. We sure have been having some great shows! Sure glad we had a front row seat!

Reviewed 28 November 2018

It’s November. Off season. They took me out anyway without hesitation. A full day of whalewatching. Over 25 different whales. I got to listen to them underwater. So even when I couldn’t see them I knew they were there. Watched a group feeding where they come up together. So exciting. Spent 8 hrs on the boat. 6-8 ft swells. They were considerate, polite, knowledgeable, friendly, overall just cool. I definitely recommend them. Did I mention that I emailed about 10 or 12 companies between Juneau and Sitka since it is off season? They are the only ones that offered to take me out.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank Katie C
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2018

I really enjoyed meeting you. I think we witnessed the very first bubble-net feed of the fall. That day was a special treat for us as well. Thank you again for your kind words and joining us!

Reviewed 24 October 2018

We chose this excursion sort of last minute because our friends had joined one that was more popular. As it turns out, we made the better choice.

Neil was extremely friendly and provided information about the local wildlife. We were treated to something special when an Orca, clearly on the prowl for something, repeatedly jumped out of the water exposing its belly and fins to smack the water. I think Neil was more excited than we were, as he directed his naturalist to climb to the nose of the boat and try to get some pretty incredible pictures.

We saw a variety of other animals and enjoyed seeing a humpback spouting here and there. Neil surprised us by taking us directly to our cruise ship and dropping us off. This was by far the best excursion we did while in Alaska.

Date of experience: May 2018
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am humbled! That was a special day and y'all were so much fun to have aboard.

Reviewed 24 October 2018

Fantastic tour and customer service. We had such a wonderful time even with the cloudy rainy weather. Neil reached out to reschedule our tour because of severely bad weather the day it was originally scheduled. In spite of the clouds and rain, we

Date of experience: October 2018

Thanks Stephanie. It was great having you and your daughter onboard. The weather has gotten even worse than the Friday we originally scheduled.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Neil found the perfect spot on our trip, even with three cameras it was hard to keep up with all the whales surrounding us, plus the sea was calm and the skies were clear (we were very lucky that day), and the complimentary hot coco was perfect. Not a disappointing moment, I would book this again if ever we return to Sitka.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank Jeff S

Thanks so much. That day was awesome!!!!!