Review Highlights
Alaska Whale Watching Boat Excursion

This excursion was excellent! We saw whales, sea otters, sea lions, seals, eagles, even a bear... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2023
Jennifer H
Perfect day

We spent a wonderful afternoon with Neil and highly recommend booking with him. We saw a mother... read more

Reviewed 10 August 2023
mamabearonthego

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews captain neil harbor seals whale song whale watching see whales wildlife photography visit sitka cruise ship personal experience three hours marine life small group animals otters tours murres overcast
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 December 2018 via mobile

Neil was so hospitable, his boat was very spacious and he had everything we could possibly need on board! We saw 2 different pods of humpbacks as well as seals and sea lions. The scenery was incredible but the best part was getting to listen in on the whales communicating beneath us! It was surreal to hear all the different vocalizations first hand. Such an amazing experience...you got to hear it for yourself!!

Date of experience: December 2018
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2018

Thanks Jennifer! It was a blast having you and some of your team aboard.

Reviewed 5 December 2018 via mobile

Neil took us on the scenic route through the islands to Silver Bay to watch packs of humpback whales. He was so respectful and also very knowledgeable of the gentle giants. Our patience was rewarded time and time again with a myriad of spouts, tails, and even a breach! We lost count of how many we saw. I highly recommend A Whale’s Song Expedition to anyone looking to see whales and other Alaskan wildlife while in Sitka!

Date of experience: December 2018
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2018

Thank you for the kind words and joining us today. I think it was you whale calling technique that was so helpful in seeing so many! lol

Reviewed 5 December 2018 via mobile

Neil took me and a few friends out this morning and we saw so many whales getting ready to migrate down south! I was very impressed with how careful around the whales Neil was, he didn’t want to bother them. We watched for hours! We had an excellent time and this is a must do in Sitka with Captain Neil!

Date of experience: December 2018

Thank you for the kind words. We sure have been having some great shows! Sure glad we had a front row seat!

Reviewed 28 November 2018

It’s November. Off season. They took me out anyway without hesitation. A full day of whalewatching. Over 25 different whales. I got to listen to them underwater. So even when I couldn’t see them I knew they were there. Watched a group feeding where they come up together. So exciting. Spent 8 hrs on the boat. 6-8 ft swells. They were considerate, polite, knowledgeable, friendly, overall just cool. I definitely recommend them. Did I mention that I emailed about 10 or 12 companies between Juneau and Sitka since it is off season? They are the only ones that offered to take me out.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank Katie C
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2018

I really enjoyed meeting you. I think we witnessed the very first bubble-net feed of the fall. That day was a special treat for us as well. Thank you again for your kind words and joining us!

Reviewed 24 October 2018

We chose this excursion sort of last minute because our friends had joined one that was more popular. As it turns out, we made the better choice.

Neil was extremely friendly and provided information about the local wildlife. We were treated to something special when an Orca, clearly on the prowl for something, repeatedly jumped out of the water exposing its belly and fins to smack the water. I think Neil was more excited than we were, as he directed his naturalist to climb to the nose of the boat and try to get some pretty incredible pictures.

We saw a variety of other animals and enjoyed seeing a humpback spouting here and there. Neil surprised us by taking us directly to our cruise ship and dropping us off. This was by far the best excursion we did while in Alaska.

Date of experience: May 2018
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am humbled! That was a special day and y'all were so much fun to have aboard.