Review Highlights
Alaska Whale Watching Boat Excursion

This excursion was excellent! We saw whales, sea otters, sea lions, seals, eagles, even a bear... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2023
Jennifer H
Perfect day

We spent a wonderful afternoon with Neil and highly recommend booking with him. We saw a mother... read more

Reviewed 10 August 2023
mamabearonthego

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews captain neil harbor seals whale song whale watching see whales wildlife photography visit sitka cruise ship personal experience three hours marine life small group animals otters tours murres overcast
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 August 2019

We stayed at Sitka over a week end, thus no Cruise ships and lots of tourists. Some tours then does not operate, but owner Neil was prepared to take me on a photographic tour nevertheless.

It was only me and him, on his smaller boat of the two and without the photographic expert. But all was explained en accepted.

I enjoyed being the only guest on the four hour trip and thus had the Skippers full attention and guidance to the see life available the particular morning and photograping it.

I enjoyed the trip severely and appreciate Neil's willingness to not let me be disappointed about no availability over a week end. We enjoyed having some personal conversations, and I could see Neil's passion, knowledge and professionalism for his tours that he present.

The price is a bit steep, but in the end all worth it and I got some pretty pictures. I wish him well and do recommend his tours!

Date of experience: August 2019
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2019

It was such a great pleasure having you aboard and so exciting to watch the fantastic show all the birds put on for us. If I visit South Africa I would very much like to see you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2019

A big thank you to Captain Neil and Leone for the great trip you provided for us in July.
Both worked hard to be as informative as possible and visit as many sites as would allow with out 3 hour window to get back to our cruise. We saw humpbacks , puffins, sea otters , bald eagles and a host of other sea birds .
Highlight for me was the sea otters all wrapped in kelp forming a raft.
Neil even dropped us back to our cruise ship to save us the bus ride from the town.
A truly personal service!

1  Thank JGA63
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2019

Thanks for such a great review. We are so glad you had a wonderful trip and hope the rest of the cruise was fantastic!

Reviewed 21 July 2019 via mobile

Hired Neil for a 3hr wildlife tour of the surrounding waters. Great experience for my two kids (5 & 8). We got lucky and had a calm/sunny day on the water. Staff was so kind and super nice to our kids. We saw whales, puffins and other wildlife. Thanks for the experience. Ps. Don’t bring bananas on the boat!

NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2019

That was such a beautiful day. Charlie and Lucy are great! Imagine how epic it could have been if only the bananas didn't come aboard lol. Thanks Paul!

Reviewed 15 July 2019

We picked this tour due to the humor of the author on their disclaimer regarding wildlife. Visiting friends in Sitka, we had a day to ourselves and wanted to go exploring. We ended up on the boat with Neil and Elona (sp?) and what a treat!

They were very knowledgable, it wasn't scripted and we had a wonderful time. Worth every penny! We highly recommend this tour for anyone wanting to get some history, see wildlife and enjoy 3-4 hours one day while visiting Sitka.

Heidei Reynolds

Date of experience: July 2019

Heidie that was a fantastic day so glad we had you onboard.Thanks for your fantastic review!

Reviewed 10 July 2019 via mobile

We recently toured with Captain Neil to Lazaria for birding. The naturalist onboard was excellent and if the seas were not so rough it would have been awesome. As we sailed out of the harbor the seas because increasingly rougher. There was repeatedly pounding down from waves that made the ride very uncomfortable. One in the party had a history of back issues and the longer we were out the more we regretted getting onboard. There was another person onboard who vomited all the way out to the island and back. She wanted to continue regardless. We did see birds when we finally arrived at Lazaria but we feel that there was an error in judgement on the captains part. I think that he should have cancelled the trip or turned back rather than make the entire trip to Lazaria. We met other people who were booked for tours that day with other companies but those trips were cancelled by several other tour operators due to the sea conditions.

4  Thank em-T-sails
NeilM3452, Owner at A Whale's Song Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2019

Our passengers’ comfort and safety are our primary concern, had I known that you were not happy with your tour with us, or that any of our passengers had a concern about comfort or safety, I assure you that all concerns would have taken into consideration, and addressed accordingly. I am dismayed that we had a passenger with back problems, this was a situation of which I was not aware. Additionally, I am unaware of any other tours who cancelled on that day. I was repeatedly checking in with the woman who was ill, and she was determined to keep going so although the seas were a bit rough, they were still safe and we continued the trip. A Whales Song Expeditions is committed to our customers and always strive to give the very best experience possible!