“Nice surprise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sitka
The Fly In Fish Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 19 Sitka B&B and Inns
Anchorage
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my first time to stay in a hotel in Sitka. A friend recommended the Fly-In Fish Inn. I was a bit skeptical at first. Being from Alaska I know how "Alaskan" places can be. In general places in AK are not as nice as other tourist destinations. While the Inn is not the Four Seasons, it was very nice and I was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely still has its "Alaskan" charm but I would recommend it to others as it is one of the better places I have stayed in the state.
Things I liked:
Great restaurant - enjoyed the two dinners and the breakfast I had. Portions were large, prices reasonable for SE Alaska, food very good, friendly staff and a gorgeous view.
Comfort of the room - in particular thermostat worked well and I stayed warm and cozy. The towels were wonderfully soft - a big plus in my book. The bed was comfortable and the flat screen TV very nice. Although I did not need it there was a small frig and microwave. Also plenty of hot water and decent water pressure.
Location is pretty good to -. I walked everywhere I needed to go around town. It is easy to get to restaurants and sights on foot.
Things I did not like:
No one in the office - I never spoke with anyone in the office the whole 2d/2nts I was there. When I arrived at 5pm my name was on a board by the locked office door and the key to my room stuck in the door. I would have liked to have been able to check out with someone in person and get my receipt for business purposes then. Instead I had to call twice to have it emailed to me after I arrived home.
Door - I am a big city girl so it probably wouldn't occur to hotel owners form small towns but I did not like the simply lock on the door. I am use to knob, deadbolt and the mechanism that will even block employees from entering. Probably overkill in Sitka but still would have preferred it especially given I was traveling alone.
WiFi - the card in the room said it was available but I could not get a signal after walking all around the room in search of it so I improvised and went down to the restaurant where I easily found a signal. Not the end of the world just a little less convenient. At least there was WiFi and I guess that is a plus.
Overall I do recommend the Inn. Folks over the phone and in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. The Inn was clean and comfortable and a nice location on the water. I will gladly stay here again when visiting Sitka.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank akgirl51997

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We tried to talk to someone many times but no one was EVER at the front desk. Then after over charging us for the nights we stayed we asked for a receipt an never got one they adked if we could stop by later so they can see what they did wrong we said okay and we stopped by there many times and still no one was at the fromt desk or anywhere else to be found..

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Davina S
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Fly-In Fish Inn was a great place to stay -- convenient to downtown, right on the waterfront; huge, comfortable room. What was a little odd was the style of service: Our name and room number were posted on the office door, key was in the door. We never saw the host/hostess until the next morning at breakfast when we were asked, "Are you staying with us?" Aside from this strangeness, we were pleased with the hotel. The inn has a small restaurant, and with our room across the hall, there was some noise until closing (about 10 p.m.) Breakfast (included) was good, with a selection of hardy breakfasts on the menu. There is a laundry room available at no charge to guests.

The rooms were pricey -- about $200 a night with tax -- but that's about the norm for a room in Sitka, and seemed to be a better value than some. The room was warm (about 75 degrees) that night, even with a window open. Folks at other hotels said the same though. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are in a downstairs room, you will hear some noise from the restaurant. Ended about 10 p.m. t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nhampton
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a beautiful property, and quite a pleasant surprise! We were supposed to be there for 2 nights, but due to a flight cancellation, we missed the first night. The room was large and had lots of amenities---- wish we could have stayed there longer!! On top of that, they gave us a choice of several hot breakfasts in the morning that were excellent! We would definitely stay here again if we ever get back to Sitka!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1jane
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We first stayed at Fly In Fish Inn during our trip to Sitka in June 2012. Enjoyed it so much we returned in June 2013. The rooms are clean, the food excellent, and the staff courteous and friendly. We prefer the waterfront rooms so we can watch the constant procession of boats in the channel and the occasional seaplane takeoff.

Location is just a short walk to downtown Sitka. There's lots to do and see, such as the Raptor Center and the Fortress of the Bear.

Also, while at Fly In Fish Inn you might want to take a seaplane flight with Ken Bellows of Air Sitka. Ken keeps his plane right at the Inn and can take you fishing or flightseeing. We have fished beautiful mountain lakes and streams with Ken twice and the experience was incredible.

We have enjoyed our time at Fly In Fish Inn and hope to return next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank riklin2004
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here in July, 2013, for a family gathering. The hotel rooms were clean and modern, with great views overlooking the water. The hotel restaurant and bar served great breakfast each morning (Summer only), lunch and dinner. The hotel staff was courteous and efficient. Would recommend this hotel to other families or couples traveling to Sitka. Also, centrally located to all area activities and attractions.

Room Tip: Request 0ne of the rooms with views of the water, in order to see the wildlife, fishing boats and se...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Drew S
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Tiny jewel, hidden in the downtown industrial part of Sitka, looks out over small boat harbor. Specials have proven to always be great. Service is fast, very friendly. They have very successfully catered to large groups for us (with notice). Would recommend for business functions, nice evening meals, but go early because space is limited. Looking forward to an excuse to stay there overnight.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business