“Loved KAYAKING”

Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures
Ranked #1 of 32 Tours in Sitka
More attraction details
Owner description: Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures is an Alaskan family-owned business. We employ a select group of exceptional guides who proudly specialize in small-group and private adventures. Join us for a sea kayak adventure to explore the very heart of one of the most spectacular marine wilderness environments in the world. We offer a range of services to match any schedule ability and preference - guided day trips, multi-day expeditions, outfitting and water taxi. Let's go paddling!
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a wonderful experience! The kayaking was the best we ever did! Our guide was friendly!
I lost an earring........ when Alison(the owner) found it she sent it to me in Ca. I thought that was special!
Marsha & Ivan

2  Thank Marsha F

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had a great time kayaking in Sitka. This group was wonderful, from the owners and Sean who guided our tour. We were 5 family members ranging from 18 - 55 and we had a great time paddling around the Sitka Harbor and islands. I caught a glimpse of an otter, we saw plenty of starfish and sea cucumbers. We just had a very relaxing day on the harbor, the weather could not have been more beautiful. We even had a heavenly fresh home baked cookie as a snack on the water.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I went to Sitka with my girlfriend for a day trip. We didn't know what we were doing until a pilot on our aircraft told us to go kayaking. He gave me the phone number of Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures and I was going to call them once we landed. It turned out he was going with his sons and we hitched a ride with the owner! We all crammed in the jeep for a quick ride across the bridge.

Once we got there, the staff were very friendly and helpful in determining what guided tour we wanted to do. We hooked up with another couple, and the 4 of us went on a guided tour. our guide was awesome, energetic, and friendly. We saw many schools of salmon, a few eagles, and went all over the bay. It was a great time and I felt safe the entire tour.

They also served big fresh cookies to enjoy while out on the water.

I highly recommend Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures for a fun adventure and to experience Sitka from the water!

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I had a great experience. Alison and John, the owners, and Kailan, our guide, were so friendly, helpful and knowledgable. Although it was drizzly, we had great rain gear provided, excellent kayaking skill briefing and demonstration, and off we went. We felt comfortable and safe and the pace was easy. We got to really enjoy nature up close and personal. We saw sea otter, harbor seals, eagle, and salmon spawning. We were each given a big homemade cookie to take with us for snacking, and had a delicious healthy lunch on shore. We highly recommend this experience to anyone looking to get out and enjoy Sitka from the water.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

While these guys are really nice and offer a decent little guided trip, they wont rent to you even if you're experienced. If I wanted to paddle, I had to take a guided trip. It was apparent that I had more experience than the girl who was my guide and the group had some really slow paddlers that kept us from getting very far away from town. We did see some eagles pretty close up and the shoreline was pretty, but I could see houses/town just about everywhere we went. Very nice folks though, but pretty expensive considering I signed up for a 3hr boat tour that took us to see a lot of wildlife for just a little bit more money.

1  Thank pugetsoundwarrior
sitkasound, Owner at Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

I know this is not a terrible review, but as owner of Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures, I am feeling compelled to reply to a few statements in this review that are misleading or unintentionally inaccurate.

It is apparent that this guest would have preferred renting a sea kayak to do a solo paddle - as opposed to a guide-led trip - of the area. The customer states that "they don't rent to you even if you are experienced". That is not true: we are happy to rent kayaks to folks who can clearly explain the process for executing a self-rescue in deep water, in the event of a capsize. The water is quite cold here and it is possible to get into trouble (and not been seen by anyone about) even very close to town. The safety of our customers, and even our potential customers, comes ahead of all else.

Additionally, I cannot understand how this customer could claim to be more experienced than our guide, as all our guides have extensive training and local knowledge. In addition to being experts at all common paddle skills, they must demonstrate proficiency at performing several versions of assisted-rescue and self-rescue before they are allowed to lead guests on tour. Occasionally, people inquiring about renting sea kayaks are disappointed to learn that we will not bend on our rental policy. Though we really don't want folks to be unhappy with us, we are not willing to let them engage in a potentially unsafe activity.

Lastly, I just wanted to add that it was not "slow paddlers that kept us from getting very far from town". This guest opted to join a departure of our shortest-duration paddle trip, the 2.5-hr Harbor & Islands Guided Paddle. Unlike some of our longer guided trips, the Harbor & Islands does stay fairly close to Sitka, where guests typically explore the inner barrier islands that shelter Sitka from the open Pacific. because of the lesser amount of time spent on the water, and the shorter distances paddled, participants on this tour do not typically see as many species of wildlife that would be sighted on one of our longer paddle trips. That said, on the Harbor & Islands trip, it is not uncommon to sight humpback whales, sea lions, porpoise, sea otters, harbor seals, a variety of birds and intertidal animals. The wildness of Sitka Sound extends right in to the harbor, and we have seen every species of wildlife that lives here, sometimes within just a few minutes paddling from our launch ramp. It is an exceptional trip for folks who have a limited amount of free time, and for those that are new to sea kayaking.