“Base Camp 2012”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sitka
Baranof Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #4 of 14 Speciality Lodging in Sitka
Prosper, Texas
“Base Camp 2012”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My son and I were fortunate to be able to attend the Kelp Bay Base Camp in August of 2012. Nothing but the finest of memories were taken from that Summer.

BWL has the Greatest crew, takes the utmost care in your safety and comfort, and provides you with the most unforgettable experiences.

The natural Spruce Shelter that canopies the camp is unbelievable. The fishing, gear and company is really 2nd to none. The FOOD, well Dutch has a skill that he developed over years and years to prepare some of the freshest seafood, sides and appetizers that would envy anyone on the planet. He is fantastic with the Fly Rod and is extremely organized at the camp. Dutch really makes you feel like your living.

The excursions were mind blowing. Monday through Saturday we were geared up and in the boat by 800am. The river systems are an intense experience. Bears, swift water and large Dolly's every second of the day - every day. Charlie, our guide, has superb patience and is skilled in the ways of Kelp Bay. That guy can do anything and ensures that every guest is involved every step of the way.

This place, these people and everything that comes along with it, are one of the greatest treasures for outdoor recreation that can be had in Alaska. It was for me and my son. That is really saying a lot since I was born and raised in Southeast Alaska and lived there 35 years.

Thank you Mike, Sally, Dutch and Charlie. To many more adventures. I would rather spend my nights on the point with a glass of red and cedar sparks than anywhere in the world.

Best Fishes - Dean

Room Tip: The Camp closest to the "Growler" may be beneficial to some!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I spent half the time in base camp in Kelp Bay and the rest at the Baranof Wilderness Lodge with hosts Mike and Sally Trotter. Each day in camp revealed breathtaking scenery, incredible culninary treats, and comraderie with the staff that was second to none. The quiet and peaceful setting was often puntuated by a rush of excitement while landing one of the plentiful halibut or salmon during the days. Nights were best described as "family gatherings" with stories from Mike about the geologic history or description of the fisheries we visited. Ive now shared a trip with my wife, brother, and the rest of my family and friends cannot wait for an opportunity to visit the Lodge and enjoy their own trip of a lifetime with the BWL team. Im ready to go now!
Tammy's comment was she wanted to cry when we left because it was the most peaceful and beautiful places she has been in her lfe.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Baranof Wilderness Lodge and the Baranof Wilderness Base Camp are my two favorite places on planet earth! We first vacationed at Baranof with our family in 2004, returned with our family in 2005, and since then, we have been there 4 other times with friends! The natural beauty and fishing are there for you to discover, but it is Sally and Mike Trotter and the staff who make the Alaskan experience so enjoyable. The Lodge is warm, cozy and comfortable, and the food at the Lodge and Base Camp is excellent - five star. You will not be able to leave without a Lodge cookbook in hand! The fishing guides are extremely professional, yet very patient with kids and amateurs like me! It is about the fishing, yet it is about so much more than that. I would describe it as a mountain top experience at sea level! It is a trip of a lifetime, but I can promise you this - once is not enough!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Over the last 15 years, I and several of my friends have been helping out with construction, vacationing and/or closing out the Baranof Wilderness Lodge each season. Each of us feel this Alaska experience has been one of the most rewarding events in our life time and look forward to returning each year to help out Mike and Sally, as well as the rest of the crew. During the close out period, we ususally work one day, then play (fish, hike, explore, whale-bear watch, soak in the near by hot springs, and/or just relax on the lodge deck and watch bay senery from one of the most spectacular spots of this earth. Mike and Sally have one of the best staff personal team I have ever had the pleasure to associate with, and when it come to food, you can not believe what the lodge Chief and crew will present, it has been "Out of this World"! What I realy enjoy with Mike, Sally and the entire crew is the relaxed environment they present and numerous opportunities of daily events on a "Fun Board" that you can chose from. Thanks you Mike and Sally for all of you hospitally and looking forward to my next trip, as well as bring up the rest of my family, friends and co-workers so they can experience this once in a life time experience!

Room Tip: All cabins are excellent, but I like the cabin next to the creek or the one next to the Bald Eagle h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Cody, Wyoming
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Until we experienced Mike and Sally Trotters' Baranof Wilderness Lodge...we thought the photos were awsome but then truly felt the ocean's lure and wild exhileration from our adventures each and every day of our five days at the Lodge. Fishing, kayaking, hiking, whale-watching and nature at its finest will forever remain a call for us to return again and again. We absolutely were able to connect with the sounds of silence. We will forever be grateful !

Room Tip: Enjoy your morning coffee and tea with views on your porch!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Ann and I love the natural world. The opertunity to share the beauty of Baranof Island with our extended family has been marvelous for us. Imagine casting for cutthroat trout in true wilderness waters, watching grizzly bear cubs romp in the distance with the support of a guide who for the past twenty years in the Alaska wilderness has supported people like ourselves with an equivalent appreciation of nature. We loved watching the wales and checked out an island of bearded seals on the day we bright in a halibut that weighed more and was taller than any of us.

We keep Baranof close to our hearts all year long. We will be there again this summer.

• Stayed May 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed at this little piece of heaven on earth for one week and I am counting the days until I can do it all again. Mike and Sally were the best hosts and accommodated every wish. I was not a big fisher person prior to going but the staff was more than patient with me. You could never guess my skills by the 50lb Halibut I reeled in. The cabin was perfect and cozy. The scenery was breathtaking. I never imagined myself on a boat in the ocean with whales swimming on one side of me, bears walking along the coast, bald eagles flying overhead, and me catching a salmon, all at the same time.. Life just doesn't get much better than that. You will not regret any time spent here.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in Sitka more than one night. There is not much to do there.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family