“fun hands on exhibit”

Sitka Sound Science Center
Ranked #11 of 52 things to do in Sitka
Reviewed 14 July 2014

we visited here with our 10 yr old. we got a tour that explained the whole hatchery process to help save the different fisheries in the area. they also had an amazing hands on pool where you could touch sea stars, sea urchins, sea cucumbers and more. The staff was very friendly and helpful

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Truly "hands on"! Visit the "touch pools" and see many wonders of sea life. Emma, a local rock-star and my guide inside, offered me a new take on many creatures and the treasures of the center and the area.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stopped in at the Science Center as it sounded interesting in the literature that we read. Even though the facility is a little small (also under construction for an expansion I believe), the exhibits were pretty cool. They had several touch tanks where you could feel starfish, sea cucumbers etc. The staff was very friendly and informed us about the animals in the tanks. This is a great place to stop in if you have kids or as an adult.

1  Thank Scott876
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A great visit to the Sitka Sound Science Center exploring the sea life of the Northwest Pacific Ocean. A large variety of sea anemones, starfish, urchins, and more. Touch and learn which is great for all ages.
Friendly staff that answered all questions asked. This is a must see for all who wonder what's beneath the sea.

1  Thank TravelingMedTech
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently visited Sitka and, in the (much too short) week that I was there, hit up the Sitka Sound Science Center 3 times. In addition to a wonderfully knowledgeable and friendly staff, fun touch tank (don't miss the sea anemone!), and incredible salmon life cycle knowledge, the SSSC has hands down the best swag in town.

Check out their gift shop for incredible chowder and a wide range of marvelously soft and cleverly designed science and sea life-themed t-shirts. Additionally you can pick up all sorts of goodies for any age including books, bags, scarves, mugs, jewellery, and nifty paper rubber band-powered boats. My friends and I couldn't help buying tons of stuff for ourselves plus gifts for all our peeps unfortunate enough to not be there with us. Best way to commemorate your visit to Sitka!

Simply put: DON'T MISS IT.

4  Thank Justin M

Been to Sitka Sound Science Center? Share your experiences!