“Totems, battle, Russians”

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Totems, battle, Russians”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The place of two historical Thlingit-Russian battles
Few well preserved totem poles with carved-on history

Visited July 2013

North Narrabeen, Australia
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“A quick visit”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We walked to this attraction and I was impressed by the ranger on the desk in the centre. The walk about the park was interesting and we caught some commentary from a tour group we caught up to in our wanderings.
A good sightseeing location!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cultural History and Beauty”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Former Russian Capitol and 1804 battleground site, history is around every corner in Sitka. Totem Park combines Sitka's rich culture and history with the natural beauty and biodiversity the draws tourists to Alaska. Plan on a good hour to walk the Totem trail, plus additional time at the visitor center to view Tlingit and Haida artifacts and watch short film that details native culture and historic significance.

Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Sitka National Historical Park is Alaska's oldest federally designated park, established in 1890. It became a national monument in 1910 to commemorate the 1804 Battle of Sitka fought between the Tlingit Natives and the Russians at this site. Northwest Coast totem poles line the scenic coastal trails in the park’s temperate rainforest. The visitor center contains ethnographic exhibits and houses the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center, unfortunately there were no artists at work during our visit.

2 Thank AuroraAlaska
Sneads, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Alaska Cruise”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just got back from a cruise to Alaska from Seattle Washington. The first port of call was Sitka, which we were not suppose to go to, but was changed from Scagway because of the problem Carnival was having with the ship(Miracle). I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out great. Sitka is a nice little city,quaint and beautiful. We chose to do our own thing there and took the free shuttle from the port to the city then got on a small bus to The Fortress Of The Bear and then on to the Rapture Center and the National Historic Park(Totem park). I really enjoyed myself, the sites of nature and the animals/birds we saw were really great. Didn't really understand just how much the totem poles are a part of the people there untill now. Really glad I went. Also went to Juneau and went whale watching then to Mendenhall Glacier. I walked the 1 mile trail to the waterfall and saw fresh bear tracks & got pretty close to the glacier, it was beautiful; So sad that it is receeding and will one day be gone. I took the sky lift up Roberts Mt and loved the view, worth the ticket price. Was not prepared for the weather we got there, sunny and 70 degrees(HOT). Then we went on to sail through Glacier Bay, words can not describe what I saw and felt there. If anyone reading this has not been but would like to I say "GO". So beautiful and peaceful!! Got to see Marjorie Glacier calving and I noticed this large Iceburg coming towards the ship then realized that a Bald Eagle was sitting on it catching a ride. Last we went to Ketchikan and strolled down Creek Street, did some shopping and saw the city. Did not do an excursion and I was glad I didn't, it was really rainey and cold there.Spent some extra time here because again the ship was having problems and could not make it to Victoria BC in time for us to get off and see anything.We got the port fees back and the captains regrets/apology. The changes made in the ports of call were disappointing but over all the ports we did get to see were great. I was told that Scagway is the best port to go to, so after all I did see and enjoy if there is more even better then I will go back. All I can say is that Alaska has the most beautiful "raw" untouched by man nature that this southern US country girl has ever seen!! Loved every minute of it and as soon as I got off the ship to come home wanted to get back on. Miss it already.

1 Thank CONNIE w