“Tasty and great view!”

Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had read mixed reviews on this place, and had contradictory opinions from locals, so it was with some trepidation that I ate dinner here. I had a perfectly tasty rockfish, and my dinner companions enjoyed their meals as well. We had none of the service problems that others had mentioned.

There are newer reviews for Van Winkle and Sons

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I had seen it listed on a list of restuarants on our cruise ship. We got there and there was no one there except us and two ladies from our ship who tried every kind of crab they served. I had the halibut sandwich and my husband had the rock fish sandwich. Mine had a large piece of halibut and it was really good. Pricey but no complains on the taste. Hubby's was almost the same and cheaper. We both had the seafood chowder that was exceptiional too. There was only one waitress which was fine she was friendly and attentive. Overall great food!

1  Thank catherine_S13_11
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The food was good enough to eat here twice, but on both occasions, the place seemed understaffed. A second story restaurant might be difficult for older members who don't want to climb stair, but a mechanical chair lift certainly helps, and there are beautful views out the front windows, so be sure to sit close to really relax and enjoy yourself. But poor service can ruin a talented chef's creations, and there was only one waitress with a helper working the second time we visited, and she was also the only one mixing the drinks as well, as there was no one staffing the bar. Shortly after we arrived, two large parties arrived (one of 20 people) and I knew they were about to be slammed, so we did our level best to exit as quickly as possible, otherwise we would have been there for hours. So let me clarify, the food was good, and the waitress was fairly nice, and was certainly working overtime, but unless they bring in more wait staff, you may have to wait a very long time to be served.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I've been here almost every year for 5 years in a row, - WHY you say... Fish and Chips...not good enough...if you like pieces of Halibut the size of a grapefruit,with Fries, and homemade Fruit tea.. this is your place... it has a home feel about it, and waitresses are all great, and friendly, and knowledgeable..if you have any questions about their offerings, or any attractions in SITKA, please by all means ask...you won't every regret you trip, or your incredible meal, whatever it may be, from an incredible menu... YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO VISIT Van Winkles...!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

It's always wonderful to have friendly and thoughtful waiters who genuinely enjoy helping with menu suggestions for awkward food allergies, and even give local travel suggestions. We were very grateful to find this here. (In fact this was the trend in Alaska, beaut people.)
The menu selection was really good, the food was excellent and drinks reasonably priced. We returned the next day also. What a fortunate find this was for some tired Aussie tourists!