“great family entertainment”

Basketball Hall of Fame
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the town where basketball was invented, this 48,000-square-foot museum has three levels of exhibits on the history and heroes of the game and gives visitors a chance to participate in skill contests.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We enjoyed re-visiting this place after so many years have gone by. We had taken our sons when they were young and we thought it would be fun to go back now that they are grown.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you are really into basketball history and enjoy participating in various basketball related activites than this is the place for goo. Good venue for a business reception.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

While traveling with our two grandsons, we thoroughly enjoyed our first visit at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Since my husband is Retired Military his admission was free and mine reduced. We found a nice mixture of displays including professional, college and high school basketball and lots of interactive things to do. If you want, you can just shoot hoops!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hall was quite nice. Some interesting displays. Like any HOF a lot of reading so bringing your 8 year old may not be the best idea. My boys were 19 and 23 and could really connect with the history. Most all of the younger kids were shooting baskets, while the adults were at the displays. A lot of money to spend to shoot hoops. There are some interactive things for the kids, but the lines tend to be long. My only recommendation is if the hall wants to keep the younger fans interested, maybe a section about the current NBA and NCAA players. I understand its a hall, but not much on Labron, Kobe, todays game. Besides, most kids may never see anything up close about these players anytime soon. The media section was closed due to renovation going on. If you go in the summer, be prepared to compete with daycare and summer camp groups.

1  Thank Christopher P
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'll be honest. This stop on our trip was completely for my husband. I understand why he gets so bored at history museums that I enjoy. With that said, this was a pretty inspirational trip for me! When we bought our tickets and walked to the indoor elevator to begin the visit, the kid operating the elevator asked if we wanted to go up and start touring or if we wanted to go and "see him." We asked who "him" was, and he told us "Bob Hurley Sr." He then went on to try to explain who Bob Hurley was, but we cut him off and said we DEFINITELY wanted to see him!! I was so excited for my husband to get to listen to such an iconic man, but I ended up feeling just as inspired and renewed as he did. I can't wait for his talk to go on the Hall of Fame's YouTube channel so I can watch it with my students.

The actual Hall of Fame itself is probably really interesting for big basketball fans. They have plenty of artifacts, and there are interactive sections, which held my 6 year old daughter's interest. I enjoyed reading all the inspirational quotes from various greats, and my husband LOVED getting to shoot on the different types of goals they had at the Center Court. He made it into the peach basket on the first try and talked about how being there made him feel like a kid again. I got the feels for my hubby. <3

The gift shop was pretty cool too. I even ended up with a basketball rubber ducky (don't ask). The Hall of Fame is pricey for what it is, but getting to meet Bob Hurley and seeing how much my husband loved every minute of it was worth it for me.

2  Thank Elizabeth F