“Fun day at the basketball HOF”

Basketball Hall of Fame
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the town where basketball was invented, this 48,000-square-foot museum has three levels of exhibits on the history and heroes of the game and gives visitors a chance to participate in skill contests.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited in late July on a Monday. When we arrived recent inductee Alonzo Mourning was getting ready to speak. He spoke for about 45min and then took Q&A from the crowd. He was great! He gave very thoughtful answers to all questions. He emphasized education and goals to the kids. I couldn't have been more happy with his talk.

The attractions were interesting a covered the history of the game as well as the great players and contributors. It was pretty interactive as well.
My daughters (10, 12) enjoyed shooting hoops in the center area.

There are newer reviews for Basketball Hall of Fame

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This museum was the highlight of our vacation through PA, NY, NJ, CT, and MA. We had no idea it would be more than a museum of memorabilia. Visitors are welcome to play on a full-size NCAA court, as well as to try their skills at seven different types of baskets/backboards, including the no-backboard peach basket. There are four goals set at varying heights so players of all heights can experience dunking a ball. While we were there, a free-throw contest was announced, which was a LOT of fun.
The upper two levels are devoted to displays of pictures, uniforms, history, and memorabilia from many years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I am the mother of a teen.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

After visiting the Baseball Hall if Fame, I would say this was a little disappointing unless you are truly a big fan of basketball. The Hall covers Pro, College, & High School history in terms of great players, coaches & administrators. I felt the second floor displays were the hilite of the exhibit. The building sits in a strip mall & not a very attractive setting for sure.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We took our teenage basketball loving son.
We went in and found that we couldn't go in until after a certain time that afternoon. The tickets were discounted for this reason. I'm extremely glad the tickets were discounted. While it was interesting it wasn't amazing. My son enjoyed it more.
This meant that we could not go onto the basketball court because of a private function.
It was laid out very different to what I was expecting. The interactive part was great.
I loved the American Flag out of Nike Basketball shoes
The Store at the the end had one member of staff who was making people feel like he was doing them a favour by having them in the store.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had visited the old museum and was stunned by how much better this iteration is. Fun stuff to do and great exhibits! I am a big basketball fan but my husband is not and he really enjoyed it.