“Good Drinks, Awful Food”
Review of Mama Iguana's - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Good Drinks, Awful Food”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Came here a few times with friends for drinks. The drinks are cheap and good, service is fine. I Was told not to eat the food but I was really hungry the last time we went so I got a queso dip and a chicken quesadilla. Boy was this a mistake. The queso was a weird color (It was pink, not white/cream colored) and it had a weird flavor. The quesadilla looked good but had a ton of oil dripping out of it and a few of the chicken pieces were pretty gristley. I didn't eat much of any of it but I still got sick that night and was nauseous for the next two days. Go for drinks, no food!

• Visited July 2013

Simsbury, Connecticut
“Good food, Great Bar”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We took a drive from CT to Mama Iguana's in Springfield by the Basketball Hall of Fame. I think the food was good. The chips and salsa we're really good. Their salsa has a little smokey flavor to it. I had a Mexican Rib special, it was falling off the bones. A nice tasty dish with some special beans. My wife had the fajitas which was an actual steak sliced up and put on the pan with the veggies. We prefer a more traditional style of steak strips, but it was ok. We also had table side guacamole, I like that you can pick your own ingredients and they had them all! However they only use one avocado... kind of skimpy, but tasty. The bar was just coming to life as we left. They have a ton of tequilas to chose from, I think over 200! Looked like the night life is wild here!

• Visited July 2013
US East Coast
“Close to the Basketball Hall of Fame”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Four of us had dinner here on an early Summer Saturday evening. They have a good selection of Mexican Food, Beer and Drinks. The food was average or a little better. Service was good. The location is within walking distance--just north--of the Basketball Hall of Fame and Hilton Garden Inn and right off I-91 on West Columbus Avenue. It's not an inexpensive place to eat, but not terribly expensive, either. We would go back if we were in the area, but wouldn't make a special trip to eat there again.

• Visited May 2013
Carmel, New York
“Surprisingly good food and a delightful server.”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The booming music almost made us rethink our decision to stop here for lunch, but we ventured forth and sat in a quieter section of the restaurant. A truly delightful server took our order. We decided to share a taco salad and a burrito. First, I got an iced tea that was completely gross. Apparently, everyone who orders it returns it. Not only does it look dreadful, but it tasted putrid. Take it off the menu. The food, however, was really good. We would certainly return!

• Visited June 2013
“Disappointing lunch date”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

MI's recently opened for lunch hours, and already they should rethink it. The bar is the only part that is open so the waiters are the bar staff who are also trying to set up for dinner and power wash the floor. (It was hard to find a spot that wasn't wet and it all smelled like bleach). Our waiter was perfectly nice and brought only one menu at first because he had to "wipe the others off" first. My husband went with the chicken fajitas, thinking there was no way to go wrong with that, but they were dry and tasteless. I has a salad (veggie chop chop) that was no better than Taco Bell's cantina bowl and we got to enjoy it all while listening to the heavy traffic right next to us on Route 91. The salsa tasted like jarred pasta sauce. I've heard folks say they come for the margaritas, but I had one on a previous visit and know I can get a better one elsewhere. It's too bad because Springfield could use some good, flavorful Mexican food. But this place doesn't provide it.

• Visited June 2013