“I wanted to like this....”
Review of Mama Iguana's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Iguana's
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Dining options: After-hours, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
New York City, New York
“I wanted to like this....”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have been to the Mama's in Northampton and it was fine. This one less so. They have a nice little outdoor space with a bar, and the wait staff were very nice. Unfortunately, the margaritas were not fresh and the food was runny and gloppy and very salty. the tableside guac is a good idea, but was poorly executed. cant recommend it. I supposed this is what happens when you have a kind of a destination place that doesn't have to compete on the actual food. too bad.

• Visited August 2013

“Awful experience”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The guacamole table side was fun to watch, but adding a whole clove of strong garlic to a single brown avacado results in less than tasty guacamole. Things went downhill from there. I know bartenders had mojitos, so if you aren't going to do it right, please just leave it off the menu. But no, this place features them, but apparently can't be bothered to muddle...or even stir (much less shake). Halfway down, the drink was just seltzer.

The tamale was okay, but the mole was just a huge pile of shredded pork with some sauce on the top and water around the edges. And then the quesadilla. Canned mushrooms and raw green peppers. At least the kids menu chicken tenders were decent.

The decor promisses fun, but the worn seats with holes in the seatback, chipped paint (on the walls and on the paintings) suggests that they have lost all will to please.

Cannot recommend. Will not return.

• Visited August 2013
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Good Drinks, Awful Food”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Came here a few times with friends for drinks. The drinks are cheap and good, service is fine. I Was told not to eat the food but I was really hungry the last time we went so I got a queso dip and a chicken quesadilla. Boy was this a mistake. The queso was a weird color (It was pink, not white/cream colored) and it had a weird flavor. The quesadilla looked good but had a ton of oil dripping out of it and a few of the chicken pieces were pretty gristley. I didn't eat much of any of it but I still got sick that night and was nauseous for the next two days. Go for drinks, no food!

• Visited July 2013
Simsbury, Connecticut
“Good food, Great Bar”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We took a drive from CT to Mama Iguana's in Springfield by the Basketball Hall of Fame. I think the food was good. The chips and salsa we're really good. Their salsa has a little smokey flavor to it. I had a Mexican Rib special, it was falling off the bones. A nice tasty dish with some special beans. My wife had the fajitas which was an actual steak sliced up and put on the pan with the veggies. We prefer a more traditional style of steak strips, but it was ok. We also had table side guacamole, I like that you can pick your own ingredients and they had them all! However they only use one avocado... kind of skimpy, but tasty. The bar was just coming to life as we left. They have a ton of tequilas to chose from, I think over 200! Looked like the night life is wild here!

• Visited July 2013
US East Coast
“Close to the Basketball Hall of Fame”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Four of us had dinner here on an early Summer Saturday evening. They have a good selection of Mexican Food, Beer and Drinks. The food was average or a little better. Service was good. The location is within walking distance--just north--of the Basketball Hall of Fame and Hilton Garden Inn and right off I-91 on West Columbus Avenue. It's not an inexpensive place to eat, but not terribly expensive, either. We would go back if we were in the area, but wouldn't make a special trip to eat there again.

• Visited May 2013