“Wouldn't go back”

Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I had stayed for our one year anniversary here. When we checked in my husband had forgot his cards at our house 3 hours away. The front desk staff had taken a debit card and told us there would only be a $25 authorization and would take only 3 days for it to be released back to my account. I work at a hotel myself so i know the policies with authorizations on debit cards which usually is for the entire stay along with inccidentals and takes atleast 10 buisiness days to be released. When I told the front desk staff I worked at a hotel and questioned the amount being authorized, he came out and said to me "well then I guess you know I'm lieing to you when I tell you this" I was floored! However, upon my checkout the staff that was working that morning had made us aware that our entire stay had been authorized on our debit card and the final bill had also been charged to our credit card. Working in the hospitality field I do know that customer service is one of the most important features in a guests stay. The room on the other hand was rather small with an old box tv. Rooms seemed like they havent been updated in awhile; our light in our bathroom was broke also. I wouldnt ever stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
ColumbusHotels, Area Director of Guest Relations at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I apologize about what seems to be a confounded situation that certainly wasn't handled with as much integrity as you deserve. It sounds as if there was some sort of miscommunication because you are certainly correct that often the "freeze" on money in your account (which is imposed by your bank, not the hotel) often takes up to10 days to unfreeze. However, even though the hotel will clear the need for the freeze as soon as you check out, often it takes your bank longer to acknowledge this.

Nevertheless, with the information that you cited, I'm not 100% clear on exactly whether or not you also had a issue with your bill. If so, please please please contact us immediately because we very much want to take care of that for you!!

Please accept my apologies. I know we can do better and would appreciate you giving us the opportunity to try. Thank you for sharing your experiences, it helps us learn and create better stays for future guests!

Ashley Picknelly Vassallo
Area Director of Guest Relations

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Springfield

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Our overall experience at the hotel was very good. The check-in/out was fast, the rooms were extremely clean, in good condition and quite.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Stayed here with my children three years ago and was very happy, and was just as satisfied this time. This is a clean, nice hotel and the staff is very accomodating, We enjoyed listening to the band, with our own bottle of wine while the children played in the pool. It was a beautiful evening.
The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are large.
Lots of restuarants and clubs nearby in the Hall of Fame too.
Will stay here again when in Springfield for sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2011

This is my second (and last) stay at this Hotel for two reasons. One, the live music at the pizza bar next door has driven me out of my room, two, the wifi is really poor so I've had to go to a Panera Bread to use theirs instead. Not impressed that I've paid $159 for a room I have to escape from. Very poor.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BoiseBlue
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Used my points to get a room at this hotel.

Nice location, food next door and only blocks from downtown (don't walk).

Room was smaller than pictured, but ok, if you don't spend a lot of time in it.
Our room got stuffy and it's early spring up there (not too cold or too hot). Stuffy enough to give us both a little and her a lot of sinus headaches

Then we had the coupe de grace, an early morning fire alarm. Now we where on the 4th flr. Two individuals in good shape, so the trek down was no prob. But you know you won't be going back to bed.

By the time we got down stairs the Fire dept was leaving and we were the only guests outside. With that it seems like, it's a regular occurrence.

Once we re-entered the building, we decide to try there Continental breakfast and or $9.99 buffet. After some trepidation or just by them seeing the look of us not all put together. One of the hostesses offer us a free complimentary hot buffet.

That did soften the blow a bit, but for such a nice, well appointed hotel. The overall experience could have been a lot better. Also for the prices listed, I would have been more peeved than I would have been for free.

Staff is nice, polite and very helpful.

Room Tip: AAA & AARP, etc, etc
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Staff at this hotel was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful. Enjoyed a great cooked to order omelet. Room was clean. Pool area clean and had plenty of towels. Looby clean, and offering coffee and cookies.

Needs work: Caulking in the bathrooms are not done well, coming off in many areas. Makes the bathrooms looks gross. Tubs and hardware need to be replaced. Only a handful of flat screen tv's in this hotel.
Price is a bit more than other hotels in the area. If they finished the renovations on their bathrooms and added the flat screens, it would probably be worth the extra money.

Attached Uno's restaurant is OK. After calling ahead and having a 1 1/2 hour wait, we still had to wait another 45 minutes to get in. But, it is very convenient as it is attached to the hotel. Food was OK.

Will stay here again, if price is comparable to other in the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BawsMom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Over the years I have stayed at many hotels around Springfield, MA and this is one of the best. The location is along the river near restaurants, gas stations and the interstate. Built with a large lobby, the hotel is very comfortable and inviting.

The room had a view of a truck parking lot and the snow covered river. The desk was large and the wifi was free -- worked well. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom is large and well laid out. Only complaint is the elevator noise -- room was next to the shafts.

Check in was friendly and through. The next day breakfast was crowded and they ran out of waffle batter. Our group was more than they were used to.

Overall a good experience and a few glitches mostly due our group.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
ColumbusHotels, Area Director of Guest Relations at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Thank you for taking your time to complete such a kind review of the Hilton Garden Inn in Springfield, MA. We also believe we are the best choice of hotels the Springfield area, especially to those NOT wanting to deal with a parking garage inherent to a downtown location. I apologize about the elevator noise - Are you a Hilton Honors member? If so, we can make a note on your profile that indicates on all your future Hilton property reservations that you'd prefer a room further away from the elevator. It's a great feature for those of us who are light sleepers : ) We hope to host you again soon. Best Wishes and thank you again!

Ashley Picknelly Vassallo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
#1 of 17 in West Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Springfield? Share your experiences!