“Nice Stay!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice Stay!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Not a bad place to stay while visiting Springfield College. Will be the place I go to every time I visit my son. Very helpful and warm staff. Offered me recommendations for dinner, since I was by myself I wanted some dinner delivered. It turned out to be yummy! Nice free breakfast in the morning. Thank you for making me feel comfortable in my home away from home without my hubby!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Waterbury, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at La Quinta, Springfield, MA this past weekend. We had five families with us and had requested adjoining rooms but found our group spread out through the hotel. Why we weren't closer together considering we booked these rooms two months ago, I don't know. This little quibble, however, is hardly worth mentioning but some people may have a problem with this which is why I do mention it here.

Overall, our stay was “pleasant”. I'm not sure we would return, however.

The Good:

The location is awesome with easy access to both downtown Springfield and the highway. The rooms were clean. Bathrooms were clean. Hallways were clean. Lobby was new and clean. Customer service was good and the front desk seemed well-staffed and attentive. Housekeeping was cheerful and attentive. The breakfast staff and bar staff were also cheerful and attentive. The hotel has a large indoor pool which is a plus for families. There is a staffed bar in the hotel which is a plus for adults looking to lounge around outside their room. They also provided a free breakfast which was “fair” which seemed identical to just about every other free hotel breakfast.

The Bad:

The rooms (all five of our rooms) were a bit too chilly for comfort. If the door to the hallway was left open, the ensuing cold draft was even worse. No matter how high we pushed the temperature on our room thermostat, the air blowing from the unit under the window was always cool or luke warm, at best. This, unfortunately, is a deal-breaker for us. Uncomfortable temperatures are not acceptable in a hotel. Since this was a common problem in all five of our rooms, we didn't bother complaining about this to the front desk because we figured it must be a common problem in the hotel.

For those in our group who showered after 9am... they were lucky to have luke-warm water. Some complained of no hot water whatsoever. I showered before 9am and always had hot water. Again, just like a constant chilly room, this is a deal-breaker also.

I mentioned above that the large indoor pool was one of the “good” features. This, however, was not without its faults. There was condensation dripping off the ceiling of this overly warm, humid pool house. Cellphones needed to be covered with towels because of all the constant dripping of condensation throughout the entire pool house. It was as though it was raining lightly inside the pool house. Additionally, the pool house was very sparse with no chaise lounges for lounging about with friends. The towels supplied in the pool house were quite small for drying off an entire body. Some in our group found the towels useless. I had brought my own towel so I had no problems with towels but found the 'indoor rain effect' quite bothersome and couldn't help but wonder how long it will take before the hot, damp pool house is covered in mold and mildew. Proper ventilation, pool-sized towels and some comfortable furniture would be a huge improvement.

Two other quibbles about the pool... It closes and is locked at 9pm every night. That is far too early too close one of your most popular amenities in a hotel! Also, the pool is located off the lobby after walking through the game room. The lobby has a sign for the game room but not the pool. I never would have found the pool without asking first. What an odd traffic pattern. There are no dressing rooms at the pool so you must traipse through the COLD lobby (more on that shortly) in your wet bathing suit to get to and from the pool.

Now, the lobby... It is the middle of a typical cold winter here in the northeast so it is cold outside. Most hotels have a heated vestibule with hot blowing air which counters the cold air whenever the two sets of doors open and close. The vestibule did have heating vents but no heat coming out of them so the lobby was constantly being blasted with frigid cold air from outside. As a result, the lobby was uncomfortably cold and was no place for gathering with your group. Making matters worse is that the aforementioned staffed bar is located in the lobby right next to these frigid main entry doors!

For me, my family and my friends, having a staffed bar is a plus. The problem, however, is that this bar is located in the lobby and that this lobby was freezing cold with constant gusts of arctic air! It makes no sense to me to have a staffed bar just inside the main entrance and in the open lobby. This hotel actually has a beautiful open top floor, with windows all around, which would make a perfect location for a small, cozy, warm bar with a view. I assume this top floor is used for events/conferences so it really would be a big plus for the hotel if the staffed bar was located up on that top floor overlooking Springfield providing direct access for those attending events/conferences as well as those staying at the hotel.

The bar closes at 9pm every night just like the pool, however, the bar was completely full the night we were there so they stayed open until 10pm. That was nice so, again, I have no complaints about the service in this hotel. The bartender was very attentive and accommodating. What we will always remember, however, is that this bar is located in the open lobby, just inside the main entry doors, and was uncomfortably cold and unbearably cold at times. It was so cold, in fact, that members of our group were wearing jackets and were still cold.

Another thing we all will remember about this lobby/bar is the annoying flickering recessed lighting. Every 30-60 seconds, these overhead lights would flicker on and off for a few seconds. This flickering was so drastic that it looked like a curious young child was playing with the dimmer switch... all night long. This was enough of a distraction to give you a headache.

La Quinta, apparently, is a pet-friendly hotel which is great if you have a pet with you along for the ride but can be bad for anyone else. I had laid down one afternoon because I was not feeling well and was awoken by a dog in a nearby room barking incessantly. I love dogs but this sort of problem is a deal-breaker for me. Also, for those with pet allergies, this hotel would not be for you. I thought about complaining to the front desk about the barking but figured I could end up being moved to an equally bad location so I opted to ignore the dog for the hour or two of barking.

Overall Conclusion:

This hotel has a lot of potential. The location is great. The rooms and common areas are clean. The entire staff is very professional, courteous and attentive. They have a pool, albeit very sparsely equipped. They have a staffed bar albeit frigid with flickering lights and smack-dab in the middle of the lobby. That being said, even with all of the “good” features of this hotel, they MUST fix the heating issues, hot water issues, ventilation issues in the pool house, and the floorplan/flow of common areas.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Patrick M
William C, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
Let me begin by thanking you for your detailed and extensive feedback. We know how valuable time is nowadays and for you to take your time to explain in detail the good and the bad is wonderful. However, we do want to apologize for your inconvenience and especially the temperature control problem and wanted to let you know that we are taking extreme measures to make sure we fix this issue. We understand the importance of feeling comfortable when one stays at any hotel, especially when it comes to temperature. We will take your feedback and analyze every comment so we can improve in various aspects/department of our hotel. Again, we cannot thank you enough for providing us with excellent feedback. It is guest like you that we continue to improve the quality of service and product of our hotel. Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites in Springfield MA.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 January 2014

never knew la quinta - first time, pleasant surprise, very clean and fresh, delightful room, well maintained, pleasant, decent breakfast, great bed - nothing negative - loved the use of the color of the sun - staff was very pleasant

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Dear Recent Guest,
We appreciate the time you spent on providing us with great compliments. Here at La Quinta, our staff practice our "Here for You" philosophy which allows for our guests to have the best experience possible. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and having our guest leave with a fun and memorable experience. Thank you very much for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites in Springfield MA and we hope that you continue to choose La Quinta’s as you hotel of choice.
Saint George, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at the LQ Springfield for nearly two weeks in January 2014 while on a business trip. The hotel is conveniently located just off Highway 291 with quick access to downtown, approx. 8-10 blocks to the southeast. While my stay was positive for the most part, there was one issue on a Wednesday night regarding the loud sounds coming from the meeting rooms on the 11th floor (directly above my room). This issue could easy have cancelled out the positive aspects of this stay but I have faith in the GM’s ability in resolving the problem for the future stays. Back to my overall stay: The hotel is bright, clean with a modern, refresh décor throughout most of the commons areas. The rooms are very clean and the beds provide a very comfortable night’s sleep; clean, white duvet with plenty of pillows. The rooms themselves are furnished in a newer/modern style. While the bathroom is bright and clean, it is a bit small and would certainly be too small for sharing (large door/small area: as mentioned in previous reviews). Perhaps the showerhead leaves a little to be desired but there is plenty of hot water and water pressure; no issues during peak mornings. If I were to make any changes to the room it would be with the addition of a luggage rack and “wired” internet (the Wi-Fi signal is ok but not great, especially for business). The breakfast was in keeping with the LQ Brand and provided an acceptable selection. Taxi fare to downtown runs approx. $6.00 one way. Finally, a kudos to the front desk staff and the hotel’s lounge/bar staff who were warm and very hospitable. Because in the end, it was people that made this stay, and review, a positive one.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StandingRoom
Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed there recently and found it to be of great value. Rooms are clean , beds quite comfortable.Location is great, walking distance to many excellent restaurants. microwave and fridge are very useful. Breakfast leaves a little to be desired, but ok to get the day started...very family friendly, pool looked very inviting.Easy access to highway .Would recommend to anyone planning a trip to Springfield.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
William C, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you for taking your time in providing us with wonderful feedback. Here at La Quinta, we are here to make your stay a memorable experience by providing excellent service and by maintaining our product at a high standard. We are glad to hear that you will recommend our property to others planning a trip to Springfield MA. Thank you and hope to see you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Springfield Marriott
Springfield Marriott
#6 of 8 in Springfield
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#4 of 17 in West Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield? Share your experiences!