“A very convivial place!”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 356 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I went with two old friends and enjoyed the authentic food and old world atmosphere. I am gluten free and they were very able to work around my restrictions. My two friends really enjoyed the menu and the atmosphere.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Three of us had lunch here for about 140 dollars. If I have this figured right we were in the Student Prince cafe, this is the old, original bar with booths and hundreds of steins on the wall. There is another dining room which I believe is the Fort, connected to the Student Prince, plus a deli on the corner. We entered on Fort Street. The Jaeger Schnitzel, the Wiener Schnitzel and the Beef Rouladen were all excellent. The German Potato salad was the best I have had, freshly prepared and seasoned just right. Sides included Spatzle, fresh and very buttery, red cabbage and sauerkraut. Service was fast and friendly, We will definitely eat here again next we are in Springfield.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went to the Prince for Sunday lunch. The owner came too our table and didn't introduce himself. He told my Son-in-law to pull his shirt down in the back. We were like who are you and he threw us out. It was so embarrassing. Their loss we would have spent alot of money and will never go back.

2  Thank rms51604
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a family favorite as we have been going here for over fifty years. The world constantly changes, but not the Student Prince. Wonderful food and delightful atmosphere. The bar itself is worth the drive!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

You have to go to the Student Prince, Springfield's iconic restaurant for over 75 years. The best German food in New England, terrific steaks and seafood, a great bar as well as a pub, this place has it all, including a great selection of German beers on tap.