“Houdini”

Houdini Museum
Ranked #10 of 33 things to do in Scranton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum dedicated to Houdini, the famous magician.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Houdini”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was greatly disappointed with this attraction, even my kids did not appear thrilled. It was very amateur, the location is not good.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Sharon S

Pottsville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Go anywhere else. Trust me.”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Expensive, cluttered, dirty and boring. When I go to a museum, I want to learn something and look around at my own pace. Not be led around by a tour guide who is constantly begging for donations. At $20 a person I also expect a better magic show.

Long story short. Instead of spending money here, let your kid mess up their room for a month or two and then hand them a magic book and have them put on a show in their messy room. Congrats! You feel like you just went on the Houdini tour.

3 Thank HopelessMagic
Georgetown, Texas
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Trust me, let this one disappear”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I have never been so disappointed and bored. Even the price was ok if it had been good. The place alone was dirty and cluttered. There was too much push for the gift shop sales and building fund donations. The magic was poor and boring. Just too much talk and not enough action. Sorry I wish I had something nice to say.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tyke555
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun Experience”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The tour was fun and informative. The staff was friendly. It was a good experience. I enjoyed the magic show and learning about Houdini.

Troy, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Make this one disappear from your plans!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We might have enjoyed this at half the price, but that would have been a stretch. Dorothy's magic show was entertaining, and kids would enjoy it, but throw the rest out. The longest part of the show was a sales pitch for the store. Heard more about their financial situation than Houdini. When you go into a room and they point out the water stains on the wall from a leak in the roof, and it is one of only four features pointed out in a room packed with memorabilia, you know it's a long day. Lots of talk about donating for upkeep, after taking $20.00 each for the "tour". Sorry, but one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a "museum". Scranton has so much to offer, free or resonably priced. See it all before seeing this, and then - skip this!

2 Thank Ivan I