“There is a reason they get your credit card before you pull in!”

Pocono Adventures Riding Stable
Reviewed 17 July 2009

This place is awful!! I can ride any reasonably well-trained horse, but a mule's mouth is like concrete! The first time I went, they tried to put me on a mule and I pitched a hissy and MADE them put me on a real horse. The second time, four years later, I was told rather roughly that they owned no horses (saw a few at the trough when we got back though....) and was put on the biggest mule they had. It stood over three feet taller than I and had a single reign that was less than half the distance of its neck. When I got on its back and told it to go, it took the bit in its mouth, jerked its head down and the reign out of my hands, and ran with me. Three of the guides and the hateful owner finally got it corralled and I got off as quickly as I could. I am 5'4" and a rather small young woman, so I pitched another hissy and made them put me on a smaller mule. It was a quieter animal, and one of the guides was very nice, telling me the first animal had been doing that all day, but there were comments made about me and the smaller mule liked to stop dead still every few minutes. In short, I took a look over the valley and decided that next time we pass through the Poconos, I'll take a look at the HORSES I saw at the riding stables next door. I shudder to think of a small child or a novice rider being pawned off with one of their animals.

3  Thank Tammsla

Reviewed 12 October 2008

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves here! It was our first experience riding and we were pleasantly surprised at how professionally run and efficiently staffed Pocono Adventures was. The animals were amazing and a pleasure to ride, and the trail was absolutely breathtaking. We took the 2 hour ride and we could have stayed on for another 4 hours. We plan on returning in the near future. Thank you Pocono Adventures!

1  Thank loriner
Reviewed 6 October 2008

The fact that they don't put you on a boring old trail is awsome. They have awsome guides and the animals are the best....."i'll see you soon Buddy" It realy is an adventure and the experience is truley priceless.

1  Thank Elove500
Reviewed 10 August 2008

First of all I assumed a riding stable would have horses...not mules. The place was kind of a dump and I would have turned and left except I had foolishly given them my credit card number to reserve a spot. The helmets provided were cheap and beat up. The mules were mostly well behaved but some kept wandering off the track. The "trail" was a narrow rocky path through the woods and we went at a snail's pace. My 8-year old daughter, who was a little nervous, ended up second from the end in a line of 16 mules and I was near the front, and there is no way to change places once you get started. No one was watching her and I spent the whole ride looking behind me. Near the end of the ride one of the mules decided to go off on its own and the 3 guides that were with us got very panicky, and the poor little girl on it was very scared. The main guide told her she should control her animal better. I didn't really have confidence in the guides and they weren't very likeable at all. I probably sound like a whiner but we live in an area with many riding stables and my daughter rides and competes in shows, and I have never come across a place like this. I just wanted it to be over and get out of there. And to top it off they ask you to leave the guides a tip before you leave! I would try Happy Trails Riding Stables instead next time, they looked much nicer and had horses, and they were right next to this place.

4  Thank ARMR
Reviewed 10 July 2007

My husband and I try to ride when we are traveling and have experienced many stables. This unique stable was a great experience. The guides were wonderful, the animals are well cared for and tame, we received excellent instructions, and the two-hour tour we chose went through some interesting and beautiful terrain. We do recommend it.

2  Thank tripperPhilly