“Yes, you're in the right place!”

Russell's Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 305 Restaurants in Scranton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2012

When you turn onto Ash Street, where Russell's is located, you figurre you can't possibly be in the right place. You're smack in an old residential section of town, with nary a business in sight. We figured we plugged the wrong address into the GPS--as out-of-towners, we were told of this place by locals--but then the restaurant just appeared out of nowhere, next to little league baseball fields.

Russell's is housed in a nice, quaint building that fits right into the neighborhood. As it was a pleasant evening, we sat on the peaceful patio, and we never entered the building once. The management and wait staff were very friendly and solicitous. Sometimes local joints take an attitude towards tourists, but the women here were lovely. They were very patient with our questions.

The six of us in our group ordered different things, and they all were excellent. I had shrimp in marinara over angel hair pasta, and the dish was both succulent and enormous--I barely finished the meal. The shrimp were fat, juicy, and plentiful. The marinara was just the right amount of chunky. My dinner colleagues had salmon, steak, scallops, and a variety of other dishes, some from the regular menu, so from the selection of specials. Everyone raved about their dishes.

From the comfortable patio to the gracious and friendly staff to the excellent food, this place is a winner.

1  Thank mgips

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have been here several times and even ordered takeout and the food is always delicious. The Veal T-Bone is very impressive and delicious as are the nightly specials. I would also recommend the Italian style clams. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is comfortable. Many of the desserts are homemade too. This is a really good hidden gem of a restaurant in Scranton.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My husband and I love Russell's so much we had our rehearsal dinner there. The staff is gracious and the food is consistently wonderful. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a great tasting, reasonably priced, relaxed meal. Seriously, it is a MUST if you're in Scranton.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Food was very good. Nothing unusual about the menu. Everything a la carte.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Third time to this family run establishment with dear old Dad. I had steak last two times, this time chicken strips in white wine sauce.

Likes: Dad contends steak at $26 is a good value versus some other local places $40. Very nice staff and servers. Greet regulars by name and go out of the way to make it a family affair.

Dislikes: Similar to the old Prenos restaurant (same family), no effort to upgrade decor. More attention could be given to food prep. For examples, green beans stems not broken off, chicken strips with white wine sauce were average. Butter seems to be main ingrediant for most dishes.