“Worst meal ever”

Dining options: Reservations
Dunmore, Pennsylvania
“Worst meal ever”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The restaurant has a limited and very unusual menu. Please note that the menu shown at the web site "www.bistocchisrestaurant.com" is not the menu currently being used. The menu shown is the one that was used before a change in ownership. The current menu is completely different. Different in itself is not bad but this menu is weird. Very unusual options. At an Italian restaurant I would expect a lot of veal & pasta dishes with steaks, fish, or basic chicken dishes for those who don't want Italian. That was not the case. The only thing that we thought might be ok was the sausage & home-made pasta. BIG mistake. The pasta was RAW. It was not aldente, it was RAW. It had a hard & floury taste. The sauce was bland. Absolutely no taste. We tried doctoring it up with salt, pepper, etc but it didn't help. I have no idea where they got the sausage but it was the worst sausage I ever had. It had a bad taste and even a bad smell - almost like urine. We used to come here on a regular basis before it was sold. We always had good meals. This was disgusting. We eat out frequently & the consensus of my group was that this was the worst meal we have ever had. Take a look at the other reviews. It seems that the good reviews are the older ones (probably before the change in ownership). The more recent reviews are all bad.

• Visited November 2011

Boston, Massachusetts
“If you want good Italian food go elsewhere”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I bought a gift certificate to Bistocchi's for my elderly mother but when I tried to use it, the manager refused to give me full value, saying he had a beef with Restaurant.com, which sold me the gift certificate. Instead of doing the honorable thing and honoring it for the full value, he went into a long explanation of the problem -- which didn't make for a good impression to us as first time diners. Then, when the food came, it was only semi-warm and tasted awful. There were three of us in our party and each ordered different meals. Not one of us enjoyed our dinner. In fact, everything tasted as if it had been pre-frozen -- not made from scratch. The spaghetti sauce could have been Ragu or some other bottled brand. Our whole experience at Bistocchi's was just awful, awful, awful right from the start. Needless to say, that was our first time at this restaurant and our last. If you want real homemade italian food, there are so many better restaurants in the Scranton area whee you can find it. Even Pizza Hut would be better.

• Visited September 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“A huge letdown”
Reviewed 16 February 2011

After reading many positive reviews on trip advisor, my husband and I chose Bistocchi's for Valentines Day. Big mistake! We were forced to order off of a pre-set menu with very little choices. All I wanted was pasta, but I was forced to get a chicken dish, as pasta was not an option. I am not a fan of restaurants that only offer limited menus on Valentine's Day, and we chose this restaurant because we did not think there would be one. Nothing on the website indicated that there would be, and when my husband made the reservations, the lady on the phone assured him that the full menu would be available. Not the case! We were forced to pay $35 per person for food we did not even want. The waitstaff was also terrible. The waitress took my plate from me before I was finished eating the food on it on TWO separate occasions. She was quite rude as well. The chicken francaise was okay, but not worth $35 per person. I have heard great things about their pasta, but I will probably never try it, as this experience made me want to avoid this restaurant entirely. Next year, we'll just go to the Olive Garden!

• Visited February 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“very pleasant meal”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We were visiting Scranton and decided to try Bistocchi's based on the TAdvisor recommendations and indeed it was a great meal. The home-made pasta was delicious. Normally I don't do this, but I ordered something that was not on the menu, no problem, I described what I wanted and it came out great. One thing that I especially want to note is their home-made blue cheese dressing, hands down the best I've had! The desserts were also wonderful. Bistoddhi's provided My wife and I a great evening out.

Dickson City, Pennsylvania
“Felt like home!”
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Our Red Hat group had our April meeting here. The food was to die for, and the service was top notch. I felt like I was in Brenda's home, in her own dining room! This place if definitely worth trying. Make sure you leave room for dessert.