“Remarkably Bad.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Remarkably Bad.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We arrived at this hotel and the non-valet parking lot was full, so we opted for valet parking given it was the only option. We then checked in for one night and immediately had problems. Our key was not working to open the door. The maid on the floor tried to assist but she was unable to get in and suggested we go down to the front desk. We were given another key and sent up with Jim the engineer. from the hotel. Jim tried our new key which also did not work and then tried his pass key. The pass key worked and clarified the issue. The room was occupied with other guests who had put the safety chain on the door. Good thing or we all would have walked in their room. Jim went back down and helped the front desk understand the basics of hotel management and also arranged for a free breakfast, thanks Jim! Things actually continued to get worse from here...
While we were checking in there was a wedding going on in the lobby with an extremely loud DJ, the front desk told us that they were moving to the ballroom at 7:30 and the noise would stop. They also told us they were asked to lower the music but judging by the sound and the guests screaming this was not happening. They lied, but more on that later. When we checked into our second room, there was a lot of hair in the tub but being so tired we just washed it away. 7:30 came and went and the wedding noise continued. We called the front desk to find out what was going on with the wedding and we got Justin from the front desk on the phone. He told us that the wedding was not moving and the noise would go on until 11pm. We asked to move and he told us we couldn’t move because we booked the room through hotel’s.com. We still don’t understand that one but my wife successfully urged Justin to reconsider. He finally gave me another set of keys and sent my upstairs with Jim only to find that we had once again been given an occupied room. It wasn’t until sometime later that Justin gave in and gave us a hospitality suite as a room. Since this was larger room the bed was further from the door. The room was somewhat quieter but not much, we actually stuffed a sheet in the door jamb to muffle the sound. Justin did give us a breakfast comp, I guess he didn’t know we already had one from the first fiasco and said we didn’t have to pay for valet parking any longer. They were not able to refund the room since we booked it on hotels.com. How they can charge you when they have no other option is beyond me but I guess it makes sense to them.
This hotel has a very nice lobby, worth a look, but that’s about it. If you are looking to sleep go somewhere else. There is a Hilton next door that is much cleaner, newer, well managed and QUIETER. All throughout Scranton there are many nice hotels that allow their guests to sleep! Stay at one of them.
Stay away!!!!! Certainly not worth the trouble.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 518Traveler
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
We apologize for the experience you had at our hotel during the wedding. We have notified management of your problems with room assignment, and the front desk staff will be notified of our operations and procedures so incidents like this do not continue. We further apologize for the noise of the wedding party. We are more than happy to accommodate wedding receptions and other events, but not at the expense of our other guests. We are implementing a few changes to ensure we can exceed the expectations of our guests in the future. We appreciate you taking your time to review our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Radisson Lackawanna is perfectly fine hotel, but if you like trains, this is like staying in a temple of the devoted. The standard hotel amenities were all acceptable; the appointments and decor are historical gems. The staff were knowledgable and helpful. Breakfast was perfectly prepared. The hotel is within walking distance of most Scranton sites and perfectly situated if you are visiting the University. We left our car in hotel lot and walked to the college.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah E, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Donna C.,

So you MUST be one of the "devoted" train enthusiasts, and if that is the case, then we are thrilled you enjoyed this "historical temple". It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at the Historic Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in Scranton! Thank you for your encouraging remarks, I will be sure to share them with our staff and our chef who delighted you with such an enjoyable breakfast. We love being located downtown and the convenience it brings to so much that the city has to offer, as you had experienced. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to the university!

See you at the Station...

-Sarah E.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Old dark building. A/C not working well, can't cool the room down. Room has the old rustic feeling. Parking fee $5. Free wifi. Quite a drive from freeway! Not enough lights in the room. Can't see much out the window because old style and dirty glass.

2 Thank pltv
pltv from LA,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in Scranton, it was a pleasure to have you. Unfortunately the building does have some limitations given it's historical nature, but I will look into having more light sources in the rooms for added visibility and comfort. Also, I hope you weren't pointed in the wrong direction when departing, for the freeway is very close and easily accessible once leaving our parking lot...we wouldn't want anyone getting lost on our watch!! We appreciate and value your comments. Thank you!

See you at the Station...

Sarah E.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stopped in Scranton on our way to NYC. We were hesitant on staying at Radisson Lackawanna as we've often been disappointed with restored historical sites. There was a high school reunion party and what appeared to be a prom the same night. I was worried we'd be kept up all night but was pleasantly surprised the soundproofing was pretty good -- I'm a very light sleeper too! The sleepnumber bed was okay -- takes some adjusting. The rooms were generally nice but I now understand why some reviews say they could be better. It was obvious most of the revitalization occurred in the main grand lobby (or whatever it's called). Too bad the parties were in there so we didn't get a chance to take a better look. Staff was pleasant; checking in and out was a breeze. Overnight parking was $5 which was pretty reasonable compared to some of the rates I've seen. They didn't take down our plate so I'm not sure how they were tracking which guests had cars and which didn't. We didn't use many of the facilities but saw that they were there -- gym, bar, etc.. I'd stay there again.

Dear Fly32,

We were pleased to have you stay with us at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in Scranton and glad that you were pleasantly surprised! It is important to us that you wake up feeling refreshed and well rested, regardless of the other activity taking place in the hotel, and it sounds as though you slept very well. Being an historical property and also a full service hotel that strives for excellence, we are constantly making updates and renovations to maintain the structure and refresh the guest rooms. Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to experience and enjoy the Grand Station Lobby and an exquisite meal at Carmen's 2.0 Restaurant.

See you at the Station....

-Sarah E.
Maple, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Scranton was the last destination on our tour along US Route #6. I booked on expedia which advertised a good room rate for a Radisson. Being an old train station I was intrigued. I was not disappointed with this hotel, though there is some room to improve.

Good Stuff:

- Check in staff were very friendly, courteous, and efficient;
- Same for the service and wait staff.
- Really interesting property with a lot of history. Even if you don't stay at this hotel while in Scranton it is worth going into for a look around.
- Lots of good restaurants within walking distance

Areas for improvement:

- Understood that this hotel is an historic building which is nearly 100 years old, however there needs to be some update and modernization. If this hotel were in a larger city I am sure it would be worthy of the "Fairmont" label and updated accordingly, while preserving its history and charm
- We were initially put on the 4th floor, but they assigned us a double room vice a king so we were told to wait there and they would bring us a new key (note to expedia users, put your room request in the special requests box.) The hallway smelled like urine. The hallway overlooked that grand stain glass ceiling you see from the main floor. On the top side of the glass were bits of garbage and other stuff people had thrown there.
- Our room had no ventilation, and the bathroom fan was not working. Despite the AC running at full capacity, the room was very humid. This made the bed sheets, and the carpeting have a damp feeling.
- The room and the overall property could be kept cleaner. Carpet stains, stained bed covers and box spring skirts.

In the end I would recommend staying at this hotel as it is a neat property, though I would not pay too high of a room rate, simply for the reason I mentioned above.

Room Tip: If you book using expedia, put your room request in the request field otherwise they default to a do...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5a25
Sarah E, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear 5a25,

Thank you for making Scranton your "Final Destination" and choosing to stay with us here at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel. Your comments were greatly appreciated as we take pride in offering our guests superior service and a unique experience in this historical gem. We are continuously making improvements and upgrades to the facility, which I'm sure you experienced with our new Station Cafe and Platform Lounge, along with some of our guest room updates. As we continue to improve, feedback from guests like you help us tremendously! We are looking into the humidity issue you mentioned about the 4th floor and are in the process of replacing all of our bedding and mattresses. We do hope you will visit us again and enjoy the fresh updates.

See you at the Station,

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I booked through Expedia and confirmed with them that I was traveling with a small dog. Upon checking into the hotel, the clerk had no record of this. Also, I was not made aware of the pet fee by Expedia. Both of these issues were minor as I'm used to paying extra for the dog. My first impression of the hotel was impressive. It's housed in a beautifully restored, historic train station. However, upon leaving the 4th floor elevator, I was immediately turned off by the musty, mildewy odor in the hallway. My room smelled even worse, even though the noisy air conditioning system was set at a freezing 65 when we entered. There was a thick collection of dust on the carpet under the single (broken) desk. The windows looked like they hadn't been fully washed in months (you could see where an attempt had been made by someone not tall enough to reach the top of the window). The wallpaper behind one bed had a questionable stain on it. The tile flooring in the foyer and bathroom was sticky as was the bathroom door itself. I booked a room for 2 adults with 2 queen sized sleep number beds, but the room I got only had 2 regular queen beds, though I must admit the beds were quite comfortable. Dinner in the lobby restaurant the night we checked in was very good, though the wait service was lacking. There was only one chair in the room, leaving one person nowhere to sit when room service breakfast was delivered on a tray the next morning. The breakfast was so-so (eggs were undercooked and the bacon was greasy). Housekeeping failed to remove our breakfast tray and did not replace the bathroom glasses we used the night before. In fact, they left the dirty glasses on the bedside stand. Our breakfast order the next morning was not correct. They charged $5 (plus parking fee tax!) per night for self parking in a lot directly in front of the hotel. I will not be returning to this property.

1 Thank robn2life
Dear robn2life,

We were very happy to have you and your dog stay with us at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel. It's always a treat when our guests bring their furry friends. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Allow me to apologize for your unpleasant experience with our housekeeping. I have shared your comments with the housekeeping director and she is personally inspecting the room in which you had stayed. Although you did not have a Sleep Number bed, I am happy to hear you had a good night's sleep with one of our new pillow tops. We are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms to pillow top beds and new bedding according to the Radisson's new Brand Standards.
I do hope on your next visit to Scranton you would consider staying with us again as we continue to improve our service to our guests and strive for excellence.

Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

I love old, historic, buildings. This used to be a train station and has been restored to its original grandeur. The marble on the walls in the lobby is magnificent and all the wooden trim and lighting has been restored. It's simply a beautiful hotel. The rooms are clean and the Sleep Number beds were very comfortable. I had never slept on one before, and I usually have trouble sleeping in hotels, but had no trouble at all in this bed. The water pressure in the shower was great - another plus - although the temperature alternated between hot and cold without me touching the knob. Carmen's, the restaurant in the lobby, has really good, fresh, food. The bar,Trax, is reasonably priced. Try the poblano buffalo chicken bites - they're delicious!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah E, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Neeners86,

It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us and enjoy the historic beauty of the Lackawanna Station Hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had a very comfortable night in one of our Sleep Number Bed rooms. Thank you for the note about the temperature fluctuation in the shower, I have notified our engineers so they may look at resolving that discomfort. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to experience our fine dining Carmen's Restaurant along with Trax Bar & Grill. I'll have to say, the poblano buffalo chicken bites is one of my favorites too! We look forward to having you back with us again in the near future.

Ciao,