“Not on their A Game”

The Blue Cactus Cantina
Ranked #10 of 449 Restaurants in Murfreesboro
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Description: Blue Cactus Cantina is a fusion of southwest and cajun creole cuisines.
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I imagine that given the right circumstances this place would be great. We had dinner there early on a friday night. Great craft beer on draft. I had two choices on fish tacos (which I was told were the best). I wanted grilled as opposed to fried so I went with the salmon. They were ok. Love salmon, just not sure it belongs on a taco. I hope they offer grilled tilapia someday. Wife said fajitas were ok, though I'd swear Chili's does them better (which is a weird thought). The issues: server left us at one point for a loooong time. The bartender spent more time tasting something called Ugly Betty or something like that with two regulars than she did making drinks for the restaurant. To each her own, but I'd have rather not heard it. I'd go back...if someone made me meet them there.

3  Thank LordMark H

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We heard about this restaurant from a local contractor about 6 months ago. We decided to try it out and have been back several times -- always with the same result: great taste and great quality.

The restaurant is small and cozy. It is decorated with a Southwest flair and lots of wood. Seating is available in both tables and booths and has a small area at the back along the bar as well as a few bar tables off to the side for waiting. Alcoholic beverages are available and Blue Cactus punch is a hit for the kiddos.

There are TVs that are visible at almost any seat, and sports are usually seen on them. We see couples, small groups, and families with children every time we go.

Late week and weekend nights can be very hectic. You may have to wait a little while for seating. Other times that we have visited without any wait.

The restaurant offers a blend of Tex-Mex and Cajun. If you like one or both, this restaurant is for you! The plating is very attractive, and the taste meets every expectation!

Our favorite dishes are the Southwest Fajitas (these are the best value in town) and the Chicken Chile Relleno Chimichanga. From the cilantro lime rice to the chips and homemade salsa (A MUST ORDER!!), you will love the food, the sides, and the garnishes.

We've also had several pasta dishes (they are very good, too) and the boudin balls (ask for the mustard on the side.) The food can get a little spicy on some of the Cajun dishes (with the Andouille sausage), but the Tex-Mex is not so spicy.

The burgers are HUGE so have a big appetite when ordering on of them. Oh, and you will want to eat the fries first -- they are so good...

It would be nice to see a couple more children's dishes available, but the ones offered now are pretty typical of most sit down restaurants.

Highly recommended by everyone in my family!!

1  Thank Patty F
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I live down the street from the place and always pass by it. We wanted to try something different and decided to stop in and I am glad we did. It was a great atmosphere nice and quite. We ordered watermelon margaritas but they do no come frozen only on the rocks, they are really good though. The food was good and the prices are reasonable. They have a creole twist on the menu as well. The chicken gumbo is good and the chicken and meat is well seasoned. The fries are awesome too! Great service and attentive, and the place was clean. Found a new spot for margaritas!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We found BCC a few months ago. We've only lived in the Boro a short time , but always looking for new exciting places to dine. Most dishes I've tried are excellent - I must admit over the last months though the Steak Fajitas I order quite often have gotten smaller in portions. But everything else is really good. It gets extremely busy so be sure to get there early or have a drink at the small bar.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

wide variety of choices...delicious appetizers and meals. great service..wish I had room for desert.