“A return visit -- with grandkids”

El Capitan Fresh Mexican Grill
Ranked #120 of 361 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: El Capitan is a family friendly local hangout for Flagstaff and tourists. We specialize in fresh ingredients only. We have a delicious salsa bar with 5 salsas to choose from made daily! We specialize in TACOS... We have hard, soft or our choice "dorado style". We serve tacos with chicken, shredded beef, pork, fish, shrimp or bean. We specialize in Margaritas! We have our famous "Lily" which is not on our menus. You must ask for this margarita. You are only allowed 2 max! Our happy hour is the best in Flagstaff. Served Tues-Friday. We have a separate food menu for the happy hour as well. Come visit us.. We know that you will not be disappointed. We are closed Mondays from Nov-March.
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I reviewed this wonderful place a couple of weeks ago and we returned with the whole (crazy) clan including a 2, 4 and 8 year old.

The great: order the Lily marguerita for the most wonderful, traditional marg flavor we've had -- it's not on the menu and you can taste the tequila perfectly (also not that pricey).

Not as great: the waitress got our order wrong. She was so nice and bent over backwards for the out of control grand kids (this place was busy, but seemed to accommodate our kids and another party of loud children in stride, without ruining the "normal" patrons). But, I got chicken instead of beef and the cooks messed up my wife's order! I ate mine anyway, and it was great!

But don't mess with my wife, please. Overall, tho, a great time for all.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Just back from dinner there. Found their shrimp fajias on line...love shrimp fajitas so tried them. I got 15 quarter to nickel sized shrimp....nice side dish with a bit of lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and grated cheese. I missed the part on the menu that the beans would be black beans - I prefer refritos, but the black beans were okay. Just my expectations, I'm used to big shrimp with fajitas... They give you tiny cups to get your own salsa at the salsa bar. Fine, good selection there. But they give you a big spoon that makes it near impossible to load the little cup without a LOT of salsa sliding down your hand and back into the tray of salsa. Couldn't help wonder how many before that had done the same thing. Then the little cup is barely big enough to get a chip into to get the salsa out...have to pour the salsa out of the cup onto the chip. Manager was a nice lady. She offered to bring me a regular salsa bowl. She said they went to the cups because people waste the salsa in the normal bowls... Wanted a booth but I couldn't get my belly between the seat and the table. I'm big, but not THAT big. Suggested they'd sell more food to fat people if they'd give the fat people somewhere to sit. Service was sporadic, but college kids making extra money so expected that. They were alternately very attentive to no where to be found. Big booze bar up front. Ambiance is pretty much a college bar. Paid $13.99 for them 15 tiny shrimp, rice, black beans, chips, salsa, and side plate. On a more positive note the place is big on supporting fighting cancer and active in those local campaigns. As a cancer survivor that's one reason I chose to give them a try.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Tonight I had the traditional enchilada plate. One beef, one chicken with a mixture of red and green sauce. It was outstanding! Washed it down with a Tecate draft and left very satisfied! Excellent service. Give them a try!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

The owner came around and talked with us awhile. Nice personal touch. Good Mexican food, and good prices.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

El Capitan is one of my favorite places to eat. It's a casual restaurant in a strip mall with a great salsa bar. I particularly love the tacos here. I usually order the pork tacos (durado style). You can get these for any meal, but as part of the lunch special, you get three with either a soda or a beer. Very reasonably priced. I also really like the shrimp tacos that come with a chipotle cream sauce.