“Nostalgia”

Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Nostalgia”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I needed to stay in Flagstaff one more night and had been promising myself the luxury of staying at the "Hotel Monte Vista"
It is November 12, 2011, Saturday night around 5:30PM, it is a cool rainy night, park the car accross the street from the Hotel, dash through the rain and run up to the gorgeous oak 1920's desk and in a panting desperate voice say, "Do you have a room available." The lovely young lady with a gorgeous black lace top that matched the oak furniture says, "Why yes, we have one European, you'll have to share a bathroom accross the hall."

Next question, "How Much." $50.00. Having gathered my breath and straightened the disheaveled look I said, "I'll take it, oh, bye the way do you allow dogs."

The clerk in her continued poised manner said, "Yes, we love dogs, there is a minimal fee of $35.00 per night."

The deal sealed. True the old Hotel Monte Vista has a bit of dust, could use some spit and shine here and there, but for a touch and feel of "Old Wild West America" you cannot pass up this Hotel if in Flagstaff, after all from this hotels location you can walk to everything in the old historic area. Put on your 6 shooters and sleep tight.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Jane-R-Nantz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 November 2011

To start the hotel has no parking, it is all first come first serve which will be your first nightmare. Then the night staff and management are the worst, I truly believe they could care less about anybody staying at the hotel, it is all about the bar crowd. Even the night hotel manager hangs out in the bar in the evening instead of doing his job. And by looking at other reviews on this hotel it is a place to stay away from. Many other hotels in Flagstaff to stay at that valve business. It is a shame all that history in that hotel and looks like a flop house they need to buy some cleaning supplies and put some money into saving some of Flagstaff history

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dean S

Travellers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Vermont
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Pretty much a disappointment - this hotel could have been good. Very tired rooms; dirty, stained carpeting; funky room layouts; not much in the way of decor. My room smelled of bug spray. Also was not completely cleaned from previous occupant, still had trash in the wastebasket.

Service was very friendly, however, and location is right in the middle of town near restaurants, stores, close to train station. Hotel has two lively bars. Parking is free. Flagstaff is not Durango, but still an interesting crossroads type town on old Route 66.

For the price the room was barely passable, and probably not a good choice. Too bad, as the building itself has lots of character and would be great with a complete renovation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank pfbloom
Cheltenham
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Flagstaff was our last en route stop before arriving in Phoenix. When we arrived it was cold, and the hotel we'd hoped to check in to was full, but their desk manager pointed us at the Monte Vista.

The check-in process was quite & painless, and the receptionist efficient and very friendly. We asked for a room over-looking the street, and were given her favourite room on the fourth floor. Turns out it was the room Freddie Mercury used, so we were pretty made up. As a Welshman I was a bit gutted to find the Anthony Hopkins Suite a bit later on, but I reckon Queen was one of the best rock bands of all time, so I wasn't too disappointed.

The room was quite small but very nicely decorated. I liked the small card table and two chairs, as well as the armchairs and large, comfy bed. The bathroom was more than adequate, and had a good shower.

The hotel's location is pretty good, and although it has its own excellent bar (with a superb range of beers) there are other options within a very short walk - just across the road you'll find Pasto, a very good Italian restaurant for dinner, and the Downtown Diner is just a few yards further for a very good breakfast.

The bar is very nice, and the staff are friendly and very knowledgable about their range of drinks. I had a chat with the manager about how well his draught Bass had travelled from the UK.

I liked the Monte Vista. OK, it doesn't come with luxury features like a hottub or a gym, but it's an amiable little place with plenty of character. I'd have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to my friends, and look forward to staying there again.

One warning - don't get drinking in the cocktail bar if there's a TSA agent propping up a beer - you'll end up with a hangover!

Room Tip: Find out which celebrities have stayed there if you fancy a film/pop star haunting.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Intermanaut
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 6 November 2011

A friend, who didn't make the trip recommended this hotel, Yes, it's downtown but, old, rooms smelled, the shower was so small you could hardly turn around and I'm only 185lbs. Rooms over the bar so with the windows open you got all the 2 am bar noise. No AC.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Biker1946
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed in the Monte Vista a couple of years ago and I have to say it was one of the worst experiences of our lives! (yes, the bar is quaint and the martini's good and the reception area was interesting) but our room was awful to say the least. Bright yellow walls and ceiling with dirt brown carpeting. It was hard to close the door because the bed was so close to it. You had to decide if you wanted the light, TV or air conditioner plugged in to the extension cord that was draped along the wall, the bathroom was so small that you could not get into it and turn around without knocking the TP into the toilet (which happened) and the shower, right next to the toilet, was the smallest metal box I have ever seen. We should have left immediately when we saw the room, but were so stunned we could only laugh. I will never live down picking this place which was given great accolades by "Arizona Highways". Not sure I would trust them again for lodgings.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ventanacouple
Arizona
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I got brought here on a surprise 2 day one night getaway by my boyfriend. He had never been to Flagstaff and didn't quite get why I missed it terribly (and how I continue to contemplate going to NAU).

We didn't spend a ton of time at the actual hotel except to sleep, really. It was very old fashioned as they kept the authenticity (but hopefully not the sheets) since it first opened. We got the bob hope suite, with 2 rooms that joined to one very small bathroom that was a little uncomfortable for my 6 foot 1 inch tall boyfriend.

The beds were very comfortable, and there was no control over the heating or cooling but there was the option to completely open the window. Each room had a mid-sized TV and small amenities, such as towels, kleenex, and extra pillows.

I did not know until he told me where we were staying that this hotel was supposedly haunted. And had no idea exactly of the rumors until after we checked out and I was reading in one of the tourist books while we were eating at the local sushi joint (that has the Godzilla roll that I absolutely love) of all the things that are supposedly going to happen there. Now, I don't watch many horror movies and don't expect the thrill of finding a ghost in my room - I avoid it. If I stay here I'm requesting an area specifically away from the rumored areas - probably in the room we were in before. Either they didn't linger, or we just scared them away ;-) either way, great, comfortable, relatively quiet hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be haunted, be sure to request a room specifically away from the noises! N...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple