“That was fun with our family”
Review of Lava River Cave

Lava River Cave
Ranked #5 of 109 things to do in Flagstaff
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Probably not much fun for experienced cave people. This is a nice, free place to take kids, maybe ages six and up. If you are dexterity challenged then you may not want to go here. Cave tunnel goes on for awhile. Bring light and maybe a sweatshirt. Be ready to drive on dirt roads, with any car, for about 10 to 15 minutes to get there. Watch your step and your head.

3  Thank thegoods99

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great way to spend the day with the family, there are plenty of places around the cave to have a picnic. The cave itself is amazing but also a good way to lead your kids (age 6 and up) on a nice adventure. Bring a good flashlight and make sure you have a back-up. My headlamp went out about 5 minutes in so my back up came in handy. On my own and moving quickly I made it to the end in 15 minutes. With small children it could take 1 hr. to get to the end so bring extra batteries. The fork to the right is about the midway point. This fork is only a short distance before the trail meets up again with the main trail. Everyone who takes the fork will have to crawl through a low spot before joining the main trail, so if you don't want to get dirty stay to the left.

3  Thank papamikeinaz
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had wanted to do this for years and finally made it. The cave was easy to get to, but you did need to drive on dirt roads for a few miles. But any standard car could make it with no problem.

Aside from the 2 van loads of students who got there the same time we did (so tons of people when we were there) and the person who brought their dog with loose bowels which permitted me to step right in it when I had 1,000 other places to step, this was a great place. I just had really bad timing. But when we were leaving some people were attempting to enter without flashlights. You can't do this without a flashlight. Heck I had a headlamp and still stepped in runny dog crap!

4  Thank Mesa_Eater
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great exploration experience without significant hazard. Important to dress for cool temperatures and wear a quality headlamp and carry a hand-held flashlight.

1  Thank Thomas W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a little..okay a lot..off the beaten path! We used a small Nissan Sentra rental car and weren't sure we were going to make it back the road..very rough and rocky!! Trail to cave not reall well marked from parking area...after that though...super cool! We used head lamps and hiked the whole thing!! I'm not the most agile person so the hike out was a bit rough but it was truly one of the coollest things I've ever done!! Definitely do it if you have the chance.

Been to Lava River Cave? Share your experiences!