“Fun, easy and a great way to spend an afternoon!”
Review of Lava River Cave

Lava River Cave
Ranked #6 of 109 things to do in Flagstaff
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Super great way to spend a couple hours. The hike was short but fun. If it's cool out bring a sweatshirt, because it's sure to be much cooler in the tubes. Don't forget your light and have fun.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

You can feel the cool air coming from the cave as you approach it. Climbing into the cave can be a little tricky, but once you are inside it is pretty easy going. Bring at least two sources of light and a good pair of shoes. Expect several people to be there and young kids as well. It was a great experience. There is a map of the cave at the entrance. I recommend you take a picture of it with your phone before you go in. That way you have a reference while you are inside if you want one.

6  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 11 August 2014

It was a unique way to hike and there are typically very friendly people you meet along the way. We scouted it before bringing our 8 year old, but we'll be back with her. The first part is hairy but after that it levels off. Just watch for low hanging ceilings!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

What a fun experience for a place that is not hard to get to. I recommend you go early in the morning as very few people are in the cave at that time. (As we were finishing up the hike there were TONS of people and a LOT of kids.) I recommend a head lamp and a flash light.

2  Thank shoopnshotgundeville
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Getting to the cave is a bit of a trial if you use a GPS. GPS is invaluable in finding the parking area however look at a map first. My GPS took me down far too many forestry roads that, if wet at all would have become impassible - ruts are very deep.

The entry to the cave is only a hundred or so yards from the parking area. It is a particularly rough decent - the entry way is a self guided step from bolder to bolder.

This should not be misconstrued as unnavigable. I was a woman carrying an infant climbing out. I am short and wish I had brought a walking stick or treking pole with me. Good shoes a must - more than one light source. Most people, including myself, used headlamps. You really want hands free climbing in and out.

1  Thank roadrun50

Been to Lava River Cave? Share your experiences!