“Nightmare on Lake Mary”

Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
La Jolla, CA
“Nightmare on Lake Mary”
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and I almost never give places we stay at poor ratings, but this one couldn't go unnoticed. If I am honest with my self, and ignore our obvious "I hate this place moments" (which we had more than once), the only plus to the Arizona Mountain Inn was the location, which was tucked away in the thick green of beautiful Flagstaff AZ. Other than that this stay was a Nightmare. I will briefly run through the list.
1. The owner (the guy) was a scum bag, I caught him looking at my wife with a creepy glare a few times, and not at her eye's.
2. The cabin was disgusting, we wore socks around the cabin for fear of touching the ground with our feet.
3. Our first cabin REAKED of vomit, but thanks to the ever so hospitable owners, they moved us after we dragged them both into our Cabin to smell it.
4. Both cabins that we saw had WAY to many spiders. (Obviously I would expect to see one or two, but this was more like 14 or 15!)
5. The single most uncomfortable mattress I have ever been on in my life, my back is still in pain.
The list goes on, all in all I would NEVER recommend this place to any one, you are better off staying at ANY other hotel in Flag, if you want the whole out in the wilderness feel, pitch a tent and sleep on the ground, you will get a better nights sleep.
I guess I have one more nice thing to say about this place, the sugar muffins are tasty.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
France
Reviewed 13 September 2008

Great if you like "away from it all". Wake up under the trees, in your own log cabin. We were 4 in cabin 14, which has a separate bedroom downstairs, two sleeping areas upstairs with 3 queen beds, and two bathrooms. The kitchen seats 8 and has a fridge and microwave. Its not expensive compared with 2 double rooms in a hotel, it was clean, and had enough plates, glasses (plastic), cutlery and mugs etc for 8. Don't expect a TV. But there is a barbecue outside. We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed it, though we only had food in once and frankly, shopping for food at Walmart is an experience for Europeans. Definitely recommend the Mountain Inn (but not the Walmart!!). If you arrive by taxi at night you need to get them to take you to your cabins, its dark at night.

• Liked — Spacious, well set up
  • Disliked — Our cabin was a duplex and we could vaguely hear the neighbouring snoring at night
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank vesuve99
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed in Room 21 which was okay for one night. The bed is a king, and the mattress, which is on the soft side, needs turning or replacing. It has two depressions on either side of a middle ridge, the impressions of many bodies that have slept there. There is no place to put an open suitcase except on the floor.

This room has a jetted tub in its bathroom. The jets are very noisy, and the water heater has insufficient capacity for the tub. I followed the desk clerk's directions on filling and got a tub of barely warm water.

The breakfast was tasty (fruit, muffins, boiled egg). Being on the outskirts of town, the property is very quiet.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Glendale, az
Reviewed 21 May 2008

My husband and I stayed in the Honeymoon suite 21. It was very lovely, we were so relaxed, away from all the noise and the city, the weather was perfect about 50 degrees at night, we slept with the window slightly opened and burned a log on the fire place. The staff was really friendly and provided excellent customer service, also helped me with directions around the city and great places to eat. the place smelled like fresh burning scented candles, I loved the bed how comfy it was and the bath tub jacuzze style. I do recommend this place for all the love birds who want a romantic getaway, and will definitely return again....

• Liked — The theme of the room
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay longer.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AMollinedo
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 6 May 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in Suite 21. It was wonderful! The staff was very friendly and helpful. This was our first time in a bed and breakfast, but we felt like we were the only ones there. We will definitely go back again!

• Liked — The jacuzzi tub in Suite 21
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
tempe, az
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My boyfriend and I live in Phoenix and wanted a romantic snowy getaway for Valentine's Day so we booked the Honeymoon Suite (21) at the B&B. The experience was great.

The staff was very friendly both on the phone and in person.
The room was bigger than it looked online and was very neat and clean.
The bed was very comfortable.
The location was nice and woodsy, away from the highway and train noise.

We stayed 2 nights and the time went by quickly. We were going to go sledding at a public park while we were there but discovered a great sledding hill right next to the B&B! A few kids were enjoying it too but there was plenty of room for all of us.
There was a fireplace in the room and they supplied duraflame logs. It didn't bring any heat into the room but it added a nice touch anyway.

The breakfast served was simple but tasty. Fresh fruit, muffins, cereal or oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs and juice and coffee. So nothing cooked really but it was fine.

My only complaints would be that it was a little chilly at night, although we slept fine. And the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was a bust. We tried to fill it up following their directions but the water was too cold. Maybe it would be better in the summer.

We walked by the cabins and they looked very nice from the outside anyway. Next time we visit we will stay in one of the cabins. We wanted to this time but they had a 3 night minimum because it was a holiday weekend (presidents day) and we could only stay 3 nights.

If you're looking for something away from the noisy trains and downtown Flagstaff but still want to be close enough to everything, this is a great place to stay.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — jacuzzi didn't really work
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
AZ
Reviewed 24 April 2006

We stayed in Cabin #5 and found the Arizona Mountain Inn to be lovely. The staff was very friendly and the grounds were beautiful. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and well kept. Our only complaint would be the shower, the shower curtain wraps around you.

• Stayed April 2006