“A great display of plants from the Colorado Plateau.”

The Arboretum at Flagstaff
Ranked #31 of 109 things to do in Flagstaff
More attraction details
Owner description: Created to help people understand the flora of northeastern Arizona, this 200-acre botanical garden includes 2,500 species of high elevation plants and miles of walking trails to explore them.
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Arboretum at Flagstaff is great place to visit for families, couples or individuals who want to walk throught some nice gardens that showcase the diverse plant palette of the Colorado Plateau.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

As members of the National gardens Scheme in the UK, we were excited when we saw the information leaflet in our hotel for the Arboretum, but what a disappointment. First of all there is a 3 mile drive on an unmade road through the forest to get to it, which we could only travel at 5 mph, and then most of the arboretum was not cared for, and clearly needed more staff to maintain it. Even allowing for the fact that we had recently had the first frost of the winter, this did not account for the poor quality of the gardens and the lack of interesting exhibits

8  Thank Denis J
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The birds presentation is THE attraction there.
Without them, the arboretum is just a nicely managed park with information panels and programs for children. The birds presentation truly took my breath away. They have a hawk, falcon, owl and a few ravens there. Raven Jack is the coolest bird I’ve ever seen. He is sometimes kept under a cover for his behavior, but ask the rangers for some one-on-one time with him. Don’t forget to put a dollar bill into his jar to make him do a trick or two. Watch him solve a puzzle – just WOW!
I have learned a lot about birds and had an opportunity to hold a falcon on my finger. An owl even touched me with its wing during the free flight – so awesome!!!

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We had to drive several miles over poorly graded gravel road just to get here. I have to say overall it was not really worth our time. I should point out that we arrived the week after their first hard frost so it is probably a bit nicer during the summer. Overall, the property is much smaller than I expected. There was not much in the way of trails or exhibits. On a nice summer day I guess it would be a pleasant respite if you had some time to kill, but definitely nowhere near the top of my list as a tourist. Save your time and money for the botanical gardens in Phoenix and Tucson. Note - there was a reciprocal agreement with the arboretum in our home state (Morton's Arboretum in Lisle, IL) so we did not have to pay an entrance fee.

1  Thank Phoenix_dream
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Lovely! Made for a wonderful day. The many gardens were both interesting and charming. It would have been perfect for a 1st date.