“Beautiful Property, Great location, Service Non-existent!”

Courtyard Flagstaff
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Beautiful Property, Great location, Service Non-existent!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

STARWOOD: GOLD
MARRIOTT: GOLD

For this particular stay, Flagstaff would serve as the perfect overnight between Denver and Las vegas allowing for a quick jaunt thru the South Rim of the Grand Canyon after a nights rest. If you are looking to visit the Grand Canyon and pondering staying in Flagstaff instead of the Tourist traps near the park i do conquer this to be a good decision. For the South rim anyway, its just about 30-40 minutes from the park. After a 13 hour drive, arriving to this stay much later than expected 1130pm, i was ready for the hot-tub and bed

PRICE: Paid for by cashing in 25000 points, definetely way over-priced

HOTEL: Arrived late so at first impression the outside looked like any other property, surrounded by a few closed restaurants and other hotels..oh Del Taco is 24 hours and right behind it LOL. It is a very nice property though. I think 3-4 floors, per usual no food except the snack-shack arriving so late. Room was 2Dbl and was overlooking the Courtyard complete with the now signature (at some locations) firepit! This room had a balcony to view the persied meteor shower that night so i wasnt complaining.

THE ROOM: Regular Room/2DBL- Not overly large, very clean and warm tones. Bedding was very comfortable, Balcony was a plus. Note to Marriott-32inch TVs with minimal channel selection will no longer suffice!

THE STAFF: The first staff member, Yaritza was very sweet, friendly and quick checking me in. her replacement (30 minutes after i checked in) was clearly enjoying his leisurely night shift and he put off a 'could care less' vibe. Unfortunately this attitude was continued with the downright rude girl working the buffet service at breakfast and also the three staff working the front desk in the morning. I passed by them 5 times in and out to the car and not once was acknowledged, even when i said hello. This is unacceptable to me and is the main reason i give this property an average rating.

Was my Elite recognized? Hard to say, i got a balcony and an Elite keycard so i guess yes, other than that, nothing.

I would recommend this property if in Flagstaff, which is a beautiful city surrounded by mountains including the tallest in Arizona at 12000ft, but im hoping the staff will get its act together. Also, during my visit the hot-tub was so filled with chemicals that it burned my eyes and created strange bubbles..i spent less than 5 minutes here and for 25000 points/after a 13 hour drive from Denver i was greatly looking forward to a soak-Major Dissapointment!!!

Room Tip: As far as i can see the only better rooms have balconies. Maybe there are some King bed suites avail...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 26 August 2013

How can I simplify this? Dirty hotel, incompetent staff. What was supposed to be a fun overnight getaway turned into a huge disappointment. Granted, move-in weekend for NAU meant busy hotels for the whole town, but you'd think they'd prepare for it. I started becoming concerned when I noticed the dirty elevator carpet. Our room carpet had old stains as well. When we tried to check in 20 mins. early, we were told nothing was ready, but I was allowed to go check a room first. It appeared ready, but the front desk said it was not. When we finally got keycards at 3:15 and checked in, it was clear the bathroom had not been cleaned yet. We were given another room, only to find dirty spots/stains on the comforter and yet another dirty bathroom (someone else's hair and trash, eww). Before I accepted a THIRD room, I checked it first w/ management, where I found the toilet running. No, thank you. At this point, I said we'd stay in the room we had if they could clean it in the next 45 mins. We were repeatedly told, "No problem", but when we returned at 5:30, we found two managers and two housekeeping staff behind the front desk, bedding in arms, but our room had not been touched yet. By now, nearly 6pm, we had not been able to rest or unpack, and felt it best to cut our losses. Knowing it would be unlikely to find another room anywhere else, we demanded a full refund and drove back to Tucson the same night. This was such a disappointment, and I was shocked at how inept and disorganized the staff was, especially on such a busy weekend. I will not be booking a room in any Marriott property anytime soon after this sad experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank desertkat60
Birmingham UK
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed here on a stopover from Death Valley on our way to Palm Springs. We have no complaints with this hotel. Clean, very friendly staff, seemed quiet aswell. It's in an ideal location aswell for restaurants in the area.
I can't really write much for this hotel as it wasn't amazing but equally nothing to moan about. I would stay here again plus recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here overnight for a business trip. It was very good, but nothing exceptional. The rooms were nice and clean, although there seemed to be a bit of wear and tear on things, most notably stains on the rug. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2013

For a higher-tier hotel brand in Marriott's chain, this facility did not live up to the price of the room. The room (# 249) we had was smaller than expected, the person sleeping on the right-hand side has to be careful not to ram into the wall if you have to get up in a hurry or during the night. The bed is right next to the wall - not wide enough for a person's foot lengthwise. The night side tabel so tiny, could not rest a book, bottled water and glasses on it at the same time. Clock enormous and the LED light too bright - had to turn it to the wall. AC temp was ok but the air flow,(unit at foot of bed) aimed right at the head of the bed making for uncomfortable ari flow into your face. Husband and I both woke up congested and sniffling.

TV placed on the dresser to the side of the bed so that you had to have your head cranked sideways to watch programs. RC did not work from the left-hand side of the bed. Really a stupid layout. ( Not that we watched TV all day, but in the evening ... watching the news)

Breakfast way too overpriced for the offerings - other hotels offer this and better fare included in their room charge - this was cold potatoes, watery eggs, very few yogurt and cereal choices and bruised fruit etc... Not worth the $10.95 on top of the "upscale" room charge. ( Watch out for all the kids diving hands-first into the food!!)

Apparently hot tub and pool rules do not apply to kids - either lousy parents or uncaring employees let the kids run amok and wild in the tiny swmming pool and luke-wam hot tub.

Location ok, central, close to shopping & eateries etc but just not worht the price or inconvenience. I can get a better value anywhere else

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janice S
Monroe Township, NJ
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We are Marriott Gold and Marriott Vacation Club owners, so we have stayed in MANY Marriott hotels. We recently stayed at this Marriott after a day at the Grand Canyon on our way to Sedona.

We arrived at this hotel around 11pm and checked in. I sat on the bed and was absolutely shocked how rock hard the beds were! Some people are fans of firm mattresses, but this mattress is seriously THE FIRMEST mattress I have EVER experienced! I have never, ever complained about a hotel mattress before! This mattress was so low to the ground and was barely softer than the floor (seriously)! Immediately, I called down to the front desk and requested to switch rooms. The person at the front desk informed me there were no other mattresses in this hotel or the Springhill Suites, although he admitted they have had other guests complain. I requested a roll away bed, but none were available. I asked if the hotel had any mattress toppers, which of course they did not. I called the Marriott Gold phone number for help and she made calls to the hotel and the Springhill Suites without being able to resolve the issue. She offered to relocate us to another town. I would have moved to another hotel in a heartbeat, but by now it was midnight and I had 2 small exhausted kids with me. I called down again to the front desk requesting additional comforters to be sent up to the room to help pad the rock hard mattresses. Despite 3 additional comforters on each bed, the mattresses were still unacceptable. Unfortuantely, I had back spasms and muscle tension headaches throughout the next day limiting my enjoyment of Sedona. My husband and kids were also complaining of back pain. When I checked out of the room, the woman at the front desk asked if everything was ok! She stated many guests have complained about the mattresses being too firm! We have stayed at many Marriott hotels and the mattresses at this hotel DO NOT meet the Marriott standard. Never have I experienced any mattress THIS FIRM at ANY hotel regardless of price or star rating!

The room itself was nicely decorated, but had other issues. The towel rack kept falling to the floor. The shower curtain was too short width-wise and my husband managed to flood the bathroom floor taking a shower, which I cleaned up. The room had an odor, probably from the fridge. There was a breakfast for a fee in the lobby, but it seemed expensive for what was offered and by now, I wanted to get out of this hotel. There is an indoor pool, but it was the smallest pool I have ever seen at a hotel.

This hotel has had very mixed reviews, many addressing the discomfort of the beds. Some people really love very firm, rock hard mattresses, but others do not. Most hotels have more average mattresses to attempt to please everyone. Please offer alternatives so guests don't feel like they are sleeping in jail or would have gotten a better nights sleep in their car.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you love really firm beds!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank POMMOM123
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Travelling from the Pacific Northwest equals great scenery but long drives. This Courtyard provides a perfect haven for a nights rest. It's just off the interstate yet centrally located which is great when searching Trip Advisor for a restaurant and it is quiet. The staff are friendly. The rooms well appointed and spotless. The hotel has a very well equipped work-out room with top drawer equipment. The breakfast buffet is very well prepared and reasonable in price. There is also an afternoon bar if you feel the urge to relax with a beverage of your choice.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dale26589
Gina L, Director of Sales at Courtyard Flagstaff, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! We are glad that the Courtyard was a perfect stop on your trip! We hope to see you again in the future!