“3rd time and I don't understand negative reviews”

Courtyard Flagstaff
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
“3rd time and I don't understand negative reviews”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I'm kind of wondering what people are expecting when they show up to the hotel. I expect everything to be cleaned but I don't intend on eating off of the bathroom floor. I've stayed in 500 $400, $1,000 night hotels and I could always find little bit of dirt somewhere in any of them.

I found the staff to be extremely nice and very helpful. They allowed me an early check-in. No charge and friendly about it, even if it was a weekend.

I had a late checkout but had a couple of so I left my luggage at the front desk no problems they Were very helpful and the general manager, David, talked to me and made sure everything was ok.

Third time here second time the manager checked on my stay. How often have you had a manager check on you at a hotel?

I did notice in a few hard to reach areas, I'm very tall, that the bathroom wasn't spotless.

Maybe all the bad reviews about cleanliness were from giants over 7 feet and kids under 4. Don't know where the bad service came from. I haven't seen it...hope I never do.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 3 September 2013

quiet and covienently located in flagstaff. close to downtown and service was great , ive stayed at alot of run down hotels downtown and wanted to change it up a bit. this was a great choice. great for family time or business everything was very clean and staff were outstanding

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Mickleton, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Friendly staff, nicely decorated, located near restaurants/stores, etc....however.........the beds were hard as a rock-- not up to Marriott standards (have stayed at several Marriotts on the East Coast). Also, room appeared clean but coffee mugs were not. Had to scrub in bathroom sink. And, for the price- breakfast buffet should have been included. Just returned from the Best Westen in Sedona and for the same price, had extremely comfortable beds and delicious free breakfast buffet!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 September 2013

we stayed here for a night while on a long family road trip. we were all exhausted yet happy to find a place to crash for the night. hotel was located very close to restaurants & shopping so we didn't have to go far for anything which was nice since we had been on the road all day. Only complaint was the room was a bit noisy during the night due ot traffic & 18 wheelers on freeway.
nice continental morning breakfast before we left.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Doesn't get much better than the Courtyard when you go to Flagstaff. Great location, accommodating staff, clean, and near NAU, shopping and restaurants.Make sure you face the street and 3rd floor to avoid any noise from the guests above you and the freeway..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff S
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 30 August 2013

STARWOOD: GOLD
MARRIOTT: GOLD

For this particular stay, Flagstaff would serve as the perfect overnight between Denver and Las vegas allowing for a quick jaunt thru the South Rim of the Grand Canyon after a nights rest. If you are looking to visit the Grand Canyon and pondering staying in Flagstaff instead of the Tourist traps near the park i do conquer this to be a good decision. For the South rim anyway, its just about 30-40 minutes from the park. After a 13 hour drive, arriving to this stay much later than expected 1130pm, i was ready for the hot-tub and bed

PRICE: Paid for by cashing in 25000 points, definetely way over-priced

HOTEL: Arrived late so at first impression the outside looked like any other property, surrounded by a few closed restaurants and other hotels..oh Del Taco is 24 hours and right behind it LOL. It is a very nice property though. I think 3-4 floors, per usual no food except the snack-shack arriving so late. Room was 2Dbl and was overlooking the Courtyard complete with the now signature (at some locations) firepit! This room had a balcony to view the persied meteor shower that night so i wasnt complaining.

THE ROOM: Regular Room/2DBL- Not overly large, very clean and warm tones. Bedding was very comfortable, Balcony was a plus. Note to Marriott-32inch TVs with minimal channel selection will no longer suffice!

THE STAFF: The first staff member, Yaritza was very sweet, friendly and quick checking me in. her replacement (30 minutes after i checked in) was clearly enjoying his leisurely night shift and he put off a 'could care less' vibe. Unfortunately this attitude was continued with the downright rude girl working the buffet service at breakfast and also the three staff working the front desk in the morning. I passed by them 5 times in and out to the car and not once was acknowledged, even when i said hello. This is unacceptable to me and is the main reason i give this property an average rating.

Was my Elite recognized? Hard to say, i got a balcony and an Elite keycard so i guess yes, other than that, nothing.

I would recommend this property if in Flagstaff, which is a beautiful city surrounded by mountains including the tallest in Arizona at 12000ft, but im hoping the staff will get its act together. Also, during my visit the hot-tub was so filled with chemicals that it burned my eyes and created strange bubbles..i spent less than 5 minutes here and for 25000 points/after a 13 hour drive from Denver i was greatly looking forward to a soak-Major Dissapointment!!!

Room Tip: As far as i can see the only better rooms have balconies. Maybe there are some King bed suites avail...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 26 August 2013

How can I simplify this? Dirty hotel, incompetent staff. What was supposed to be a fun overnight getaway turned into a huge disappointment. Granted, move-in weekend for NAU meant busy hotels for the whole town, but you'd think they'd prepare for it. I started becoming concerned when I noticed the dirty elevator carpet. Our room carpet had old stains as well. When we tried to check in 20 mins. early, we were told nothing was ready, but I was allowed to go check a room first. It appeared ready, but the front desk said it was not. When we finally got keycards at 3:15 and checked in, it was clear the bathroom had not been cleaned yet. We were given another room, only to find dirty spots/stains on the comforter and yet another dirty bathroom (someone else's hair and trash, eww). Before I accepted a THIRD room, I checked it first w/ management, where I found the toilet running. No, thank you. At this point, I said we'd stay in the room we had if they could clean it in the next 45 mins. We were repeatedly told, "No problem", but when we returned at 5:30, we found two managers and two housekeeping staff behind the front desk, bedding in arms, but our room had not been touched yet. By now, nearly 6pm, we had not been able to rest or unpack, and felt it best to cut our losses. Knowing it would be unlikely to find another room anywhere else, we demanded a full refund and drove back to Tucson the same night. This was such a disappointment, and I was shocked at how inept and disorganized the staff was, especially on such a busy weekend. I will not be booking a room in any Marriott property anytime soon after this sad experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple