“Good hotel - but needs a few improvements”

SpringHill Suites Flagstaff
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I give this an average rating because of the layout/design if the rooms....the location/breakfast deserves a very good. We stayed at this Springhill Suites mid June for an NAU event. Location is good, we had no train or road noise and we found it easy to get to. Breakfast in the morning was the usual fare, eggs a little powdery according to my family, but other stuff was fresh and tasty. Breakfast area, very pleasant and we always found a place to sit despite several big groups staying. Front desk staff in the evening didn't have any idea where to find a Subway restuarant (!)....and was helped out by the maintenance man hanging around with her....who pointed us to the Walmart just around the corner in which one was located. The rooms as pointed out my many other reviewers have great modern decor, but no thought to practicality. The lack of drawer space is a big problem, yes, there is a large walk-in closet, but with not enough hangers to accommodate clothes for 4 people for over 3 days...! The bathroom is nicely decorated but quite impractical...if you are a light sleeper and one of your party wants to use it at night, everyone wakes up with the glass door, plus the fact if you have a female (Mom) using the shower, any males (sons) can't use the toilet, sink or walk-in closet as there is no door closing off the shower from the rest of the bathroom area. A pocket or bi-fold door would be great to separate the shower area from the sink/closet. Sitting area is nice with coffee tables, but the desk area and partition seems in the wrong place, just domintes the sitting area. The standard 2 queen room doesn't have much space at the end of the beds. We had to lift our case up and over as it wouldn't fit between the bed and TV stand/wall. When I was lying in bed I felt I was practically sleeping in the bathroom. The way the room was laid out, the beds felt far too close to the bathroom. However, the whole room was spotlessly clean and there was never any pet smells in the hotel, despite it being pet friendly. I would probably stay in this hotel again, it was clean, convenient, good value for the money.....despite the lack of thought put in by the designer of the guest rooms!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel is simply okay. It tries a little too hard to have a modern chic look and would be better served being more practical. The room we had only had one small dresser so it definitely needs more storage space. We were at the hotel several days (weekend and weekdays) and the staff, while friendly, seemed overwhelmed by the number of guests. The breakfast buffet is limited and very crowded. Our air conditioner seemed to have two settings: freezing or off.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NaturalizedTexan
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The SpringHill Suites is done in a very modern soothing style. It looks like one of HGTV's young and hip decorators helped with the decor. Our room was large and spacious and made us feel as if we were at a luxurious spa sans the spa! There was a large walkin closet off the bath. The computer desk area and little living space was separated from the sleeping space by frosted glass windows. Check in and out staff were very friendly and helpful. The full breakfast was quite ample and was set up in a very cool area. This place is a winner and is conveniently located to familar restaurants and freeway signs yet is still in the foresty area of Flagstaff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank joeysweeps
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We used some of my Marriott reward points and some free night certificates for our stay. I have stayed many times at the remodeled Springhills. I love the decor. My wife did as well. I agree that there are some quirky design elements. (Shower access, lack of drawers, single TV placement...) I knew all of this before I booked, so I was prepared and it just fit our style of travel. We were able to utilize the two living spaces to our advantage and it was perfect. It is a great location for food. Very easy access to freeways. It was a good location to base from to visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon. We loved our stay and would like to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SDDay
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Overall an excellent hotel, and an excellent value. The rooms are very modern, a little quirky, but cool overall.

Pros: Spacious rooms, incl. mini-fridge and microwave, flat screen TV, I-Home (for your I-Pod... VERY cool!), loads of electrical plugs (you could plug in several cell-phones, lap-tops, and whatever else you brought... with plugs to spare), free internet, free/ample parking, low rate (won through Priceline). Very close to lots of food/shopping.

Cons: Hall way was hot, glass door on bathroom (right in front of beds) was awkwardly placed (hard to use bathroom w/out waking up the rest of the room), A/C wasn't very strong, limited dresser/drawers (despite tons of room).

Other: Incl. free breakfast (didn't get to check it out though, as we only spent one night, and left early the next morning). Pool area was tiny, hot (indoor w/no AC), no hot-tub... but at least they had a pool.

Overall, we enjoyed our short stay... and would do it again in a heart-beat.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank grram1
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I had such a terrible experience in this hotel due to such a unprofessional and terrible frontdesk staff.

When we returned to the hotel after a trip(7 pm), we found that our room was not cleaned at all. So, I called frontdesk to clean it up. Then, I came down and asked her "How long it takes?". What I heard was unacceptable. She said, "I don't know. Housekeepers will do it."
I told her that I do not want to waste my time and want to rough time for cleaning. Can you check it for us? We'll wait for that in the lobby. But, she replied to me that "I'm not a housekeeper. Why are you asking me?"This attitude made me so upset. She did not try anything to check it. Just one call to housekeeper must be enough. But, she did not do anything and told us, "Why are you so mad at me?"

I told her that "you are in a frontdesk and that is your responsibility !!!! No? Do I have to keep going up and checking if the room was clean again and again?". Then, she said, "What do you want to know from me?" (she was almost about to cry).

After a lousy conversation with her, we waited for that in the lobby. Other staff came to us and did apology for that. But, she never came back to us and did not say "SORRY". Even she hided to the office when we passed through the frontdesk to return to our room.

On the day of check out, I asked the staff to get a receipt. But, she said that "There is no receipt. If you booked through a booking.com, you'll get it through that." I've been other springhills in other cities, but they gave the receipt (or invoice) to me before I asked them.

I've never met this kind of ridiculous, unprofessional, untrained hotel front desk. I'll never recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yuki2011
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The front desk staff were friendly and very accommodating when we needed a later checkout. The hotel had a relaxed airy feel due to the modern decor. Everything in our room was very clean and the room layout was nice, with a nice office and sitting area separated from the bedroom. They had a nice selection of food at breakfast and the exercise room and pool were clean and well-maintained. The hotel was conveniently located near the expressway, making it easy to reach attractions in and around Flagstaff.

• Stayed: June 2011