“Not My Choice Next Time”

SpringHill Suites Flagstaff
Ranked #14 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Not My Choice Next Time”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The room was old, dated and had stains and spots on the carpet and furniture. The glasses were dirty as well - yuk. Room layout was kind of cool however.

Breakfast was only good because of the waffle maker for fresh waffles. Powdered scrambled eggs and dry muffins were bed enough to be inedible.

All in all, we should have stayed at Courtyard or Little America and purchased a breakfast. If you want a free breakfast and that is your reason for staying here - choose another place.

We won't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tbone4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
AZ
Reviewed 26 March 2012

First, let me be clear, this is a nice hotel. Has the standard Marriott amenities and customer service one expects with a Marriott. The rooms are nicely renovated in a modern design complete with a microwave and mini-fridge, the indoor pool was heated, the breakfast was the standard deluxe continental fare of cereals, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, meat and the make it yourself waffles you expect. The staff was friendly and attentive. Hotel is in a good location with ample parking, close to restaurants, a gas station, Walmart in case you forgot something with easy access to I17 or I40.

Why then with all these great features am I not feeling it? The room. None of my family was feeling it. The suites are not true suites, with a door between the living area and the bedroom. Only a wall desk unit separates the two spaces, which the hotel pictures show, but a pocket door would have been a great feature. My children are both under the age of 5, so this meant when they went to bed early, the TV had to be off along with the lights - effectively sending my husband and I to bed early.

The room is also small (but larger than a traditional guest room), allowing no space for a roll-away bed (website does mention this). Luckily, the pull-out couch had a chase lounge attached which I was able to convert into a bed for my youngest.

Last, no bath tub! My kids do not like showers, I would have figured it out if we had not cut our trip short after a day of skiing, but we all looked at each other and thought, it is two hours to our own beds, let's cut our trip short. We could not fathom another sleepless night's stay.

Bottom line, the room is not a good configuration if you have young children.

One last note, this hotel does not have a hot tub.

Room Tip: Inquire about bathroom features such as if it has only a shower stall or a bathtub if traveling with...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AZ4Moi
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed one night in February on our way back from Grand Canyon. We needed to wash our clothes badly and it was really nice to be able to get complimentary laundry detergent and dryer sheets. The room was clean. Like some other reviewers stated, you might hear some noise from the hallway, or other rooms although we didn't think it was at a level that was troublesome for us to sleep. Breakfast was typical of this type hotel with various hot and cold items. I was happy with my stay at this hotel.

1 Thank Fortwood
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed in Feb 2012 for 1 night. The room is nice with a comfortable bed. Fairly standard for hotels around this price range.
The pool is ok and a it has a decent fitness centre for a hotel of this size.
1 bad factor was the noise from the corridoor. there is absolutely no sound insulation from your room to the corridoor. We were unlucky in that we had drunken neighbours in the rooms in our corridoor but even after that quitened down there was still a lot of noise from people walking past etc.
Could the owners maybe splash out on solid doors that prevent noise instead of pintless dcor?

However when we did complain about noise that night and the next morning the owners were genuinely aplogetic. That helps.

Room Tip: Have someone from housekeeping put three mattresses up against your door... :)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We didn't have hot water until 10:00 P.M. at night. Four women in a room & no hot water for showers! Front desk was called around 8:00 P.M.... They said they would look into it. I called back 30 minutes later because we still didn't have any hot water. Front desk said it was a problem with the boiler..They would have it fixed in 10-20 minutes. An hour later... almost two hours later and two calls to the front desk and still no hot water. We went to bed. Had to get up and hour early to take showers in rotation. I have to say they were accommodating by taking $48.00 off our bill BUT it was 18 degrees out the night before and darned cold in the morning! I would of loved to have slept in instead of getting up an hour early. Heater was "fussy".. first it would run & run making it too hot.. then it would be cold then hot! Didn't sleep much that night! I myself didn't didn't care for the decor..it reminded me of the "halo" deck on Star Trek! I love Marriott but next time will stay at the Courtyard!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The room was spacious and nicely laid out. The bathroom had a sliding glass door the didn't afford the level of privacy expected. The Fitness Room was not heated on a very cold day and the breakfast was cold as well. All in all, a good experience, but this SpringHill can't compete with the one we stayed at near the Oklahoma City Airport.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We drove through Flagstaff on our way home from a visit to the Grand Canyon and decided to stop at the SpringHill Suites. We were very pleasantly surprised by the modern comforts of this hotel. The suite was very spacious and clean - we couldn't have wished for more! The service was great. The breakfast was plentiful with lots of variety. I would highly recommend this hotel to others and hope I can return one day!

1 Thank SanFranShopper